Hey, French user here

Hey, French user here.

I always found it weird that the English title of this work was The Stranger. I have seen it translated as The Outsider, too, which is more accurate. More accurate still would be The Alien. The title has no English equivalent really, the literal translation would be "The Spooky Man," but The Stranger has always struck me as an odd translation.

What do you think?

The Stranger is more similar to the spooky man than the alien or the outsider is

Is this definition wrong?

I think the translation of "The Stranger" doesn't preclude the interpretation of "an outsider" but also alludes to the story that the main character reads while in his prison cell--where women kill "a stranger" for money without recognizing that they already knew him. It's a tragedy within a tragedy about how life's absurdity puts people in weird situations.

Translating it as "The Stranger" captures a broader array of meanings, in my opinion.

I learned French as a second language and I agree The Stranger is a bad translation.
I always thought The Foreigner might work better as well.

I don't speak French, but "étranger" is very similar to "estrangeiro" in Portuguese, the second referring to a foreigner. If the French word has the same connotation, then I agree that it is a bad translation.

Stranger implies someone whose identity is unknown, while foreigner or outsider denotes someone who does not share the dominant culture and values (which, in my opinion, is the case).

"The Foreigner" or "The Outsider" are less vague, and therefore better.

>le spooky homme oui oui
Thanks for reminding me that the French are retarded

>Hey, French user here
Stopped reading here.

This. Fuck French people and the French language.

Why bother reading the English version?

I think a better title would have been Le bougnoule

honhonhon.... french is an incomparable language... anglo pigs!... *smokes cigarette* *causes the collapse of western civilization*

I don't know, maybe it's because the English title and French title share the same origins? Get boiled, frog.

The finnish translation is pretty much The Onlooker or The Bystander. It's a decent choice imo.

That probably fits the book the best

in Lithuanian it is translated "The Alien"

In Turkish it is translated "The Greek" as in it's all Greek to me.

Huh, in German it's translated as "The Faggot" as in OP

>masculine noun
>1. Foreigner
>2. Stranger

Holy shit, the etranger isn't the main character(an outsider), it's the Turk he kills(a foreigner). Or I guess, it probably refers to both of them. That he killed part of himself or something.

that book sucked

I very much agree with the term foreigner than stranger.

No. It's about him being like an alien moving through society.

I've always wondered why this book isn't translated as The Alien. So what if stupid Americans would think it's about space or something? I think it would be more accurate. In fact it was that space monster movie that stole the word alien and made it apply only to the ayyyys Un the first place.

Funny because in Greek it's translated "Der Ungeziefer".

It's been a while but couldn't the stranger be considered a work related to french imperialism? The main character is a frenchman in Algeria, right? So he's the alien (outsider) whatever and the man he shot was an Algerian? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I think this is far-fetched but you're maybe half right. The victim is simply "an arab" because the story is extremely focused on Meursault himself, so there's no point naming him. It would sound ridiculous to kill "a parisian". You do know Camus lived there himself, right?