/SWTG/ - Start With The Greeks

Why don't you read the Greeks? You're on a literature board, after all.

The ancients authors were rich, they wanted REAL POWER with their books, not pathetic fame or money! That is why their books shine, and will keep being read and treasured for entire centuries and millennia more than yours!

If you do read them, list your favorites, last read, ..
If you don't, it's not too late to catch-up with us:
>ebooks of SWTG readings
mega.nz#F!tRdWHJYY!_3uUYqfzqIpRpVN2l8XNVw

After Homer we will be reading the Athenian playwrights, and then the philosophers/Plato.

When are we going to get the Odyssey and supplementary Odyssey essays on the list?

Also, I seriously hope you are all taking notes.

What kind of notes have you been taking?

I condense down the main points of information down into some bullet points, and I then write notes on my thoughts on that information (e.g note repetition of such and such, gods again used as metaphor for nature, here again strength to take what is yours valued over modern ideas of justice) etc. etc. I sometimes don't have anything interesting to say on a topic, but writing down things helps with retention massively.

I started the group with the Iliad.

Is it fine to read pic related along the way as an alternative to the ancient greece

This was asked on the earlier thread, but seriously, what happened on those 9 years?

Also, some people were complaining with the repetition sometimes, but I find it really strengthening the story and many times helping to remember stuff. I'm not taking notes, barely have time to read and post and I think it kills muh immersion when reading.

I find it enough that the poem repeats many times the motifs and that way I remember the stories or myths, for example with epithets and such, and the memorable parts I really enjoy so they stick with me very well.

I agree with Mostly because I thought the notes examples here were stuff I already expected going into it (from Veeky Forums, as well as modern authors referencing the greeks). And like you said, the repetition is vastly exaggerated, especially considering that this was oral poetry.

That's another reason why I haven't felt the need to write notes. The poem seems designed to be memorable. If I really thought of something useful but fleeting, I guess I would note it down in that case.

I've just finished Homer's The Odyssey for the first time.

it was great.

The translation as by Stephen Mitchel and was very easy to read, in verse, and beautiful.

I spend about 1 hour in the bookshop comparing the various translations to find the one that seemed best.

Im currently reading the Ilyad for the first time now.

Who is the best translator of Hesiod?

Honestly, are you American, European, African, Asian or Australian?

I'm still on iliad book 3-4.

I really get connected with the characters, feeling sorry when they hurl the spear at Diomedes now, pitying Pandarus then. I've never felt this kind of switching connection between opposite parties.

Just realized I'm writing spoilers.

I just finished 5. I am also catching up but trying to engage conversation anyways. Sacrificing some sleep hours to read :)

Which other translations did look at?

Lombardo. Then again I like Lombardo's style in everything he's translated.

thanks

I like Lattimore's Iliad best because it avoids rhyming, seems to translate things like Homer's similes 'literally' (the values of the narrator feel archaic), and uses very minimal and prosaic lines.

Even against what I've seen in the supposedly more successful attempts of Merrill, Green, etc.

Is anyone still on track with this?

I'm up to Book 9.

I'm reading book 7 now.

So, to anyone wondering, if anyone still lurks here, today's load is

DAY SEVENTEEN
Readings
>Illiad, Book 6-7, pp. 223-50

sorry, it is 7-8, also pictured is Hector bidding farewell to Andromache and his son.