Just finished V

My first Pynchon.

When you guys said that Pynchon was a difficult author I diddn't understand it, I've never experienced a "hard" book. Now I have.
It wasn't painfully difficult or so confusing that I wanted to give up or anything but it was way more convulated and complicated than the regular literature I've been reading until now.
Also, now that I've finished it I feel that I've read in those 500 pages more than I've read in books of 800. It's like a long series of books crammed into one, I feel like having experienced a lot of different stories selffulfilling and completed on themselves.

I've awoken from my dogmatic literature slumber I guess, thank you for meming this into me, I fucking loved it and I'm gonna follow the infochart on Pynchon.

Anyways, there are some things that aren't still clear to me. Spoilers ahead I guess.
>What's the deal with Profane?
>What the fuck happened in Africa?
>Did Veishu exist? (I really wanted it to exist, I loved Goldophin)
>Is V. really the Ms.Potato woman? And is that woman the lover of the french ballarina that got metalboned?

PS: Stencil son isn't actually Stencil's father son right?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herero_and_Namaqua_genocide
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>yo-yo
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herero_and_Namaqua_genocide
>maybe
>all that and more

Stencil's father son
>wat

I've never read pynchon, recently finished ulysses, was thinking about reading lot49 and gravity's rainbow. Am I good or should I start with V?
(really wouldn't mind going "out of my way" to read it, would read it sooner or later).

I'd say start with either V. or go straight into gravity's rainbow, save lot 49 for after because despite it being considerably shorter than probably every other pinecone novel, its just as dense

V. is pretty easy to get through

or go for one of pinecone's later novels, like inherent vice which has something more easily identified as a plot

Gravity's rainbow has more of a plot desu, Inherent vice is just a chiller version of CL49

Thanks for the wiki link.
Stencil Senior son isn't his actual son is what I meant.

Also, what the fuck is up with the rhinoplasty scene?
I've never felt such disgust and uncomfortableness reading in my life.

thanks. I will start V today, then I read GR.

Every time I read a Pynchon book I read an analysis of it, and I quickly realise that even the analysis is mostly just speculation about what Pynchon meant

Dont tell me a single person knew what the Kirghiz light was in GR, or what the fuck Veisshu was

The whole point was that the answer to the question "who is V." was less important to Stencil than actually having the question to begin with. V. had no one identity and it will always stay that way. Stencil made it to his 50s following an inconsequential question far too long.

Someone post the Pynchone pasta please. I fucking hate this hack and his shitty, zany books.

If you managed to get through Ulysses then you'll have no problem with Pynchon

>What's the deal with Profane
He's a Schlemiel, a human yo-yo

>What the fuck happened in Africa
Herero Genocide, one of Pinecone's favourite historical events to harangue on, read GR if you want more

>Did Veishu exist?
To be clear, it is implied in 'V.' that Veishu is a network of subterranean tunnels that's (primary) entrance stems from under a mountain, perhaps Pompeii; as to whether it existed we never find out, but it is expressed that whether it actually does or not isn't important.

>Is V. really the Ms. Potato woman?
Yes, V. is all the incarnations of Victoria, Veronica, etc that show up. Benny even meets her at the end. The spectrum between animate and inanimate was a major theme in V., it's not by chance that V. is clearly moving from the former to the latter as the book progresses

Profane is the instinct of Man. He lives for sex and food, and only experiences the present. His fear of the Street is a fear of order and effort. He is threatened by technology. The hero slays his crocodile-dragons under the street–out of view and not even toward the end of his journey.

Start with V.

nice, i hope so

I did. just read chapter 1. of course way too soon for any kind of 'judgement' but I like it so far.

i recall reading an article about Pynchon on vulture.com written around 2013 when IV came out on film. pretty sure the nose scene was him being super salty that some Jewish chick dumped him while he was writing the book.

>The spectrum between animate and inanimate was a major theme in V., it's not by chance that V. is clearly moving from the former to the latter as the book progresses

Does V represent, Venus, Vagina, Woman in general, or like feminine mystique? The adventurish potential fun of prowling for puss/the point?

>Also, what the fuck is up with the rhinoplasty scene?
She got herself a "nosejob"

Is that sexual

I loved that Stencil's father isn't actually his father but V is implied to be his mother

Fuck. Thats some pretty epic shot to get back at some bitch who dumped you.

I like this

why did you love that?

I really liked V all the times I read it. I knew straight away that it was a series of unpublished short stories strung together loosely.

Venice, the surgery, the Africa part, these are the most memorable bits.

Because Stencil idolizes his father and through all his life he searches for V thinking she may have killed him and in the end she was his real parent; also how he will never know this because he leaves the investigation and how his father didn't die in a revolt or some heroic way but by pure chance
(sorry for my English)

Thanks! You're english is great.