some friends talking about canada

> some friends talking about canada
> a guy goes "there's a really big fentanol problem in the tribal communities there"
.> some mishears him
> fentanol
> YEAH FENTANOL
> he keeps repeating it
> i'm on my phone in the corner but I can't bear it and overreact with an icy tone because i often hear this guy trying to talk with authority about drugs when he knows less than nothing
> It's pronounced Fentanyl. Fentan-yl.
> Yeah, whatever man. That. It's killing everyone who takes it. It's really dangerous.
> Another friend asks me what it is (he's a physicist and knows I'm a pharma chemist).
> It's an opioid analgesic roughly two orders higher potency than morphine. It's not that it possesses a unique form of inherent toxicity, it's that the high potency makes measurement haphazard and a shorter half-life can complicate the timing of doses.
> the guy interjects again
> no that's wrong it's like pharmaceutical meth
> stare him down
> Desoxyn is pharmaceutical meth and is prescribed for emergency weight loss. It has no connection to Fentanyl, being from a separate class of drugs that produce observe effects through different mechanisms.
> well it said in the documentary i watched that it was pharmaceutical meth and it's nasty stuff

I felt really dirty and autistic afterwards for responding so aggressively, but it also felt good while I was doing it.

Does anyone relate to this? I get very ambivalent feelings of ride and self-disgust simultaneously when I aggressively bodyslam people not in my field when they try to spread poor quality info on it. Do you think this is a good thing to do to make use of your knowledge and improve that of other people or is it weaponized autism? I do this really often and sometimes I worry that I'm actively looking for opportunities to academically flex. Do you have any similar stories you'd like to share?

*obverse effects

sorry for the typos nodding rn

> stare him down

Yep you have autism.

Serious and unattractive Isaac Newton autism or chill and eccentric Robert Burns Woodward autism?

What's the right thing to do in these situations? Just politely correct or ignore it until it's over?

I don't waste my knowledge on normies. Oversimplifying doesn't satisfy me since I don't think it sounds compelling enough, but getting into how things work is wasted on most people. I haven't gone full autismo on someone, I just tell them they're wrong. I get why ignorance would make you feel like that though.

t. med student

Don't talk down to people, you risk being perceived as an asshole. Do as I and just get away from people and society. When the only people you talk are people in your trade and the only emotional connections you have are with anime characters then you'll know you are doing it right.

Think of it like this:
If you correct them repeatedly then eventually not one of them will want to speak to you.
Now depending on your situation that may be more desirable than undesirable.

Yeah there's a fine line one has to walk to make sure everyone knows what's what and not being an autist. Stupid people are the biggest testers and people with a predisposition to autism are gonna have a bad time.

If I'm at a party and someone is being a twat and getting things wrong too, up to a certain point I'd just let it slide. People say so much wrong dumb shit. I remember my freshmen year of high school the first table I sat with at lunch was cool but just dumb so I ended up becoming the 'actually' guy because I was always correcting them. Honestly couldn't really contribute more to their conversations as even the topics were just dumb to begin with.

Then my friends had a change in schedule and I started sitting with them and not only were there fewer stupid moments but we were cool with calling each other stupid about shit.

You're hanging around with some complete dopes with no idea about anything if they can't even manage to be somewhat familiar with the latest drug epidemics. That hardly takes more researching than reading the news that pops up on facebook.

I concur with the other user, the stare is sort of a big give away to autism. You gotta just relax and let fools be fools. K? Honestly in a way you saved him a slight bit more embarrassment because of your overzealousness. Had you let him yap on and just say basically exactly what you said but with more chill, it could have prompted him to behave more aggressively, perhaps asking what credentials you may have, at which point you can inform him of your major while remaining humble.

I am an expert in autism and yes you are very autistic to do something like this. For example you keep insisting its "fentanyl" when someone of your status should be saying "I like dick". But I mean to each there own, you can't expect everyone to know everything.

Hey, why would I say "I like di" - oh, wait a minute. Goddamnit, you're an ironist aren't you? Holy shit, you guys are so cool. You got me real bad with your sardonic bon mot and I feel kind of silly now and also sort of aroused and impressed. If I wasn't an incel, I'd let you come over to my house and have sex with my w-

Ahahaha, oh, boy, I had you going there didn't I? None of the above post way sincere, it turns out that you, the master ironist and troll, are in matter of the fact the one who has had the act of trolling perpetuated against him. I wish you a merry day, sir, and a trolley dolley doo to you and all of your autistic internet 'peeps'. Ha-ha :^D

Are people here so socially inept?

black animal cuck kike

Tbh I think you went ok. Maybe correcting his pronunciation was a bit autistic, and instead of getting mad you would be better off pretending to agree while correcting him, slipping in your qualification.
Something like 'yeah, that is a really big problem over there, I'm in pharma chem and we learn about it. Basically' and then go on to explain. That gives him a chance to nod along and pretend that's what he was saying all along.
Otherwise just let it go

no i prefer to let people make the stupidest mistakes, then reveal my knowledge on a topic if pressed/asked. I refuse to correct someone's incorrect information unless expressly asked to, because if not it's an enormous waste of time

You weren't inherently out of line to correct him, but you did it in the most autistic way possible.

>You're thinking of fentanyl. It's an opioid, like morphine or heroin, but way stronger. It's like 100 times stronger than morphine. It only takes 3 milligrams to overdose. An amount this small can be really hard to measure, so in addition to being more potent it's a lot easier to accidentally overdose

It's not hard

Autists don't stare even if they argue with you.

Neuroticism.

OP can you describe what this guy looks like?

>implying this happened
>implying you said anything to a chad's face
>implying you didn't stare at your feet and run off to Veeky Forums so you could rant your scenario

>i'm on my phaggatone
get off the phone, faggot

I don't know why, but your post reminds me of all of those times I'll be talking and someone will say, "I get that you're trying to sound smart and all but can you please stop using such big words," or something to that extent and I just want to slam a table down on top of their head and desecrate their corpse right there.

shiz dude ya got me, oh how the tables have turned. Maybe next time I won't be so foolish. (but actually that was breddy funny 10/10)

>Desoxyn prescribed for emergency weight loss

Wait, wait. So I'm obese and all I need to do to get meth is ask my doctor?