Using biology as fuel

>TL;DR will be at bottom
Anons i have a retarded question, please forgive my autism.
Artificial life, power armor, and those dog robots that boston dynamics makes all suffer from the problem of fuel. from my perspective it seems like evolution over centries has allowed most mammals and more specifically humans the ability to work longer and more efficiently compared to any known robot of equal weight and size (with equal abilities).
We have small machines that can simulate almost every action a human can do, but due to entropy, they could not be combined into one machine and work nearly as effectively. changing battries/fuel cells is quick but very cumbersome and wastefull. charging battries is more cost effective but slow to transfer.
> my actual question
Sci, has anyone tried to simulate lungs to produce energy for machines the way it produces temporary energy for humans? is it possible? to me it seems like mechanical lungs that could collect energy from air and release carbon dioxide as exaust? wouldnt that make robots and machines hyper efficient?
could estute biologists and robotics engineers work together to simulate something like this?
My autistic idea was that said breathing engines could effectively power things like exoskeletons, power armor, cordless robots and other machines. Could a hybrid power system allow these machines to operate for much longer periods of time using say 60%-90% air and 40%-10% fuel similar to RAMJET missiles (yes i know thats not exactly how ramjet works)

>tl;dr
can we make breathing machines, if so, would it be better than traditional fuel?

There is a type of batteries that take in oxygen from the air. There are also fuel cells that use stored fuel and again air from the outside. Both provide electricity.

That is the closest realistic solution that I know of.

>There is a type of batteries that take in oxygen from the air.

i am infatuated with this idea. please provide any articles or sources for me to read. perhaps artificial carbon based life running on pure chemical energy, but without unecissary components like reproduction

I'm not convinced it's plausible.
Lungs just take in oxygen to burn fuel so breathing robots would still need to carry burnable fuel around. Pretty much anything with an engine already does this.
The main advantage of traditional machines is high efficiency and huge power output, eg. dozers can dig the holes of 10 men in 1/10 the time. But if they had to breathe like humans do they would need 100x the lungs to get the energy they need.
Humans can work longer than machines because we carry hundreds of pounds of burnable fat around with us for energy and use it relatively slowly. Duplicate that in robots you just get heavy, low power robots.

pretty much already do this, but there's not any way to change the chemical ratios of oxygen to fuel without adding immense amounts of energy (which itself costs fuel).

Google and other companies are using natural gas fuel cells for their buildings.

forgot image

>can we make breathing machines
Yes it's called giving birth.

>The main advantage of traditional machines is high efficiency and huge power output, eg
but thats not more effecient. those engines and machines weigh more, use more fuel and take up more space than its lifting equivalent in humans.

Define efficient? In terms of conversion of chemical to useful mechanical energy and waste heat I think engines are more efficient.
In terms of efficient resource/space use idk humans probably are better.

>Define efficient? In terms of conversion of chemical to useful mechanical energy and waste heat I think engines are more efficient.
really what im looking for is a machine that takes up the same amount of space as a human would with the same fuel cost and endurance using air ((i say air because there are other gasses that most mammals and these hypothetical machines benefit from, which is why you cant breathe in a room filled with absolutley pure oxygen.))

yes trucks produce more torque than a group of men of the same volume, but im talking about mammal sized machines, that could utilize this chemical energy to produce almost as much work. obviously nothing man made with the same volume could ever compete with a human, because nanotech is no where near capable of that.
another issue with humanoid and mammal-sized robots is that they weigh to much, and even if we mastered making robots that walk, run, and get themselves up when they fall, the computing power required to do anything close has been proven very very inefficient compared to bipeds and quadropeds. if we some how solved that issue, these machines are often so heavy that the weight being distributed onto their feet breaks the ground beneath it/sinks into the soil.
My concept for this thread really could be simplified into a android or mammal sized robot running on chemical energy but could be boosted by traditional means of power production. i dont expect it to be better than humans, just nearly as capable considering entropy.

Heres a question that could more reasonably be answered.
> whats the most efficient and enduring engine/motor we have devised in recent years? could something that cant be throttled such as nuclear energy be effectively shrunken down and weight reduced?
nuclear energy is really the worst option.

electric motors are the most efficient on pretty much every metric compared to combustion engines

peak combustion engines are about 30-40% efficient where as peak electrics are about 90-95%

dont you have to factor in the efficiency of creating the electricity?

I don't have my tables on hand, but I believe some might.

Consider this though, what about the efficiency in extracting oil? i can tell you, its not very. it can vary between 1 barrel of oil for 4, or 1 barrel for 2. So, from a purely mechanic standpoint, electric is quite better, and also from a gathering standpoint when considering things such as hydroelectric, which is by far the best, along with nuclear depending on your considerations.

The one advantage that fossil fuels have over electric though is the energy density of the fuel source, where hydrocarbons is very high, most batteries are sadly lacking. However, with solid state batteries around the corner, things are looking up.

>t. mechanical engineer with mat sci. interests

well means of retrieving energy like hydro wont be of any use on small mammal sized robots. i guess dead dino fuel is really the only viable option since the transfer speed is nearly 3 times that of the best batteries. but you cant make small, lightweight combustion engines.

>you cant make small, lightweight combustion engines.

not nearly as powerful as its electric battery power source of that size. for these mammal sized robots it would need multiple engines tp support mulyiple motors doing different things. also thats too heavy for the work it creates compared to lithium ion. but ye you got me there

how about creating a mix of that?
modify and add robotic parts to say... a plant to take in alot and ALOT more sunlight to convert it into a desired energy

I'm not so sure if electric motor + battery has a higher power/weight output than combustion motor + liquid fuel.

For transmitting the energy, you can use a hydraulic system.

Makes the robot much more noisy and smelly tough and it has to keep running. Electricity can be drawn on demand.

The original question was using oxygen as "fuel". That is not how it works. Oxygen is used to oxidise the fuel, therefore releasing the stored energy. (That is what happens in combustion engines)
In biological systems, that fuel is chemicals, long term storage mainly in sugars and fats that have to go through a biochemical process to be readily available as ATP and NADP.
Plants can make their own sugar from CO2, water and captured photon energy, animals have to eat plants or other animals to obtain their fuel.
All that is a pretty complicated process that involves a long chain of reactions that have to be fine tunes efficiently.
Nothing that you would want to reproduce to power a machine.

Finding better battery tech is where we will see improvement.

thank you for your wisdom, user. i see that the only answer is some magical graphene/crystaline sheet superconductor that could transfer electricity at incredible speeds and store enough for these hot transfers to be worth doing. only time and money can tell

kek