Why do people still research maths? Everything useful has been already discovered, there are no problems in real life...

Why do people still research maths? Everything useful has been already discovered, there are no problems in real life, science, engineering which cannot be solved because the maths isn't there. Nowadays maths is just incels competing who can invent more obscure and further away from real life concepts that have no use outside some obscure journals

>a literal "why do we need to learn this" post.

No, I'm not against maths or learning it, I'm against modern """"""""maths"""""""" which is just some abstract bullcrap made up by bored autists

> there are no problems in real life, science, engineering which cannot be solved because the maths isn't there

Quantum gravity

which is just as made up as maths describing it

Lmao gravity is real dumbass, you don't think innovation is a bit limited by the fact that we don't really know how it works?
>hurr modern mathematics is so abstract that it must be made up and can't be useful
Read a book loser

>implies that non-modern math isn't abstract
Hey what's it like being braindead?

numbers relate to real world quantities. measure relates to length, area or volume. and where can you find a grothendieck group in real world? have you seen an engineer calculating cohomology classes?

There's a reason you're an engineer OP

>hurr numbers only represent quantities
Are you even an engineer? I have never heard of a successful engineer that didn't need to use complex analysis. And if you are trying to make a point against abstract mathematics being useful, maybe don't bring up groups. The concept of a group is probably the most useful bit of abstract mathematics and it's used in a wide range of fields. I don't know what a grothenburger group is but you are a shit engineer if you haven't encountered al least 3 groups in modeling applications.

I'm not talking about actually useful branches like complex analysis, and basic group theory is not very modern. But grab a book on abstract algebra or some shit and tell me where in real world can you find some etale cohomologies, vector bundles or hodge theaters

It has the potential to push society forward. Most of the stuff being researched today if it ever has any use may not be used for 100+ years.

The rest of the stuff that never gets used won't and honestly who cares? Some people are just fortunate enough to get paid to do it. Baseball doesn't push society forward, but people find it entertaining and there happens to be a small market for those who excel at it to get paid.

Practical application is obviously important, but self actualization is as well.

>vector bundles
In modern dynamics we treat the phase space of a system as a cotangent bundle of a symplectic manifold, doing this is very useful. Riemann geometry in general is the basis of GR which is pretty important for timing and calibrating satellites. Are you starting to feel like you criticism is not very informed?

A math degree is much easier to obtain than an engineering degree. Math majors are around 115-125 IQ average depending on school. Engineers are in the125-145 range.

nice bait

>Baseball doesn't push society forward

It does though.

Ago 300 years only crazy virgin guys need calculus,

This is bait.

>Why do people still research maths?
Well, everyone has their own personal answer to this but the gist of it will always be: because it's fun.

>there are no problems in real life, science, engineering which cannot be solved because the maths isn't there.

There are and even though I consider applications filthy and if someone ever finds an application to my work I am killing myself, I appreciate that mathematicians who take the time to do applied work get recognition whenever they discover something useful.

>incels
Are most mathematicians virgins? Really? I can't speak for others but I am not a virgin. And other professors either look like they have wives or look like they are not above paying a high-class hooker to get the job done.

>competing
Math is not a competition and whenever a mathematician tries to treat it as such everyone just loses respect for them.

> more obscure and further away from real life concepts that have no use outside some obscure journals

Not really. We are not particularly looking for shit that is obscure. It just so happens that the good shit is always below 100 levels of abstraction. To this day there are still journals that focus on recreational mathematics which is non-serious and typically much simpler than "serious" research. Obviously, mathematicians appreciate the simple things in life like plane geometry and elementary number theory but unfortunately, properties about numbers cannot all be concluded by studying the numbers alone, and not all properties about plane figures can be deduced from just looking at plane figures so we started looking elsewhere. Give this process a couple thousands of years and naturally here we are. And we still haven't proved the fucking a b c conjecture jesus fucking motherfucking christ just end me now whose cock do we have to suck to understand numbers?

not an argument

> what is encryption

Etale cohomology is one of the most useful cohomology theories to study varieties/schemes over arithmetic bases.

Elliptic curves over arithmetic bases have pretty direct applications to cryptography. I'm not a cryptologist, but I'm sure you can find an application there.

No

here a nice pic.

I have nothing to argue. You're a butthurt engineer who couldn't complete a math degree.

OP, do you know how many fields of mathematics used to be ''pure math'' before they became pillars of subjects in many applied sciences?

>Math is numbers only
>No Boolean algebra, no electronics

Not an argument

>Math majors are around 115-125 IQ average depending on school. Engineers are in the125-145 range.

>Engineers are in the 125-145 range

>125-145 IQ
>Engineers

Literally nobody on Veeky Forums will agree with this except you.

>Everything useful has been already discovered
proof?

Right, it's a statement. A true statement, you beta cuck