Recent purchases

what the fuck did I just buy edition

You bought An Unsuitable Job For A Woman by P.D. James, The Prince by Machiavelli, The Second Sex by Simone De Beauvoir, The Birth of Tragedy by Nietzsche, Song of Solomon By Toni Morrison, and The Liberal Imagination by Lionel Trilling.

I hope this helps.

expardon me?

You wanted to know what you bought.

lul

I am not a dick, rude.

I've never read philosophy and I'm going to start with the birth of tragedy since it was 50 cents. good idea or bad idea? regardless I'm going to read it right now.

Just finished Starship Troopers. What should I read next?

Hyperion

Only the top four are recent purchases but this is the stack next to my couch.

a strange intro to philosophy but neither a bad nor good idea

> Wordsworth Classics
> "Great Irish Short Stories" that is separate from Dubliners
> Stephen King when even he was too ashamed to write under his own name

it's your will bro

That book is one of the least philosophical works by Nietzsche, and is prrhaps more in the category of history of ideas. If you get a chance to buy it, Zarathustra is an entertaining intro to N's philosophy.

I haven't bought anything very recently, but I've got a long-ish backlog and I'm sure if which I should read first: Decline of the West, Homo Sacer - Agamben, or Writing of the Disaster - Blanchot.

I bet you're the life of the party.

Check your autism.

No. Zarathustra is dry and repetitive. Cracking open a faux bible is no one's idea of entertainment. Don't steer the man off a cliff.

>reading philosophy for entertainment

>Zarathustra is an entertaining intro to N's philosophy.

kek. N would cry at this.

did you buy some books?

If you can't enjoy Zarathustra, philosophy is not for you. I mean come on, it's full of jokes and songs and aphorisms

please rate

gay/fag

literally kys

Lel got another one boys. This one got really memed, haha he even got the tunnel lmao. Gold one Gass posters rofl

Meme/10

Honestly I really like that penguin classics deluxe GR. I almost bought it just for the cover.

Here's my stack, all varying degrees of recently purchased.

fuck the deckled edges on infinite jest 20th anniversary edition

The best my re-read had to offer
10 yuros

Recently got Aristotle's Poetics and Robert McKee's new book on writing Dialogue.

TIL deckled edges

I fucking hate those things.

I was about to buy that version online. Thanks for warning ne

Is re-read worth? i heard they buy books just for 0,20€ each book

I mean theyve got to make a profit. Considering I bought all them for 2 a piece Id say is well worth it.
Even in regular secondhand books Niebla or Becquer would have cost me 3-7 yurops.
I guess is like GameStop. As long as ypu are buying you dont feel ripped off.

Also is a twice in a year shop. You go and find the best books there are. Take them and wait a while until they refill. Is pretty filled with schooltier and nogood lawyers crime novels. Is well organized tho and they have some funny bookmarks.

ty bro. they've recently opened one in asturias so i think i'll take a look

Careful. Check the books before you buy them lest theyve been chewed away by goats and sheeps

>Easy German
You got scammed, mate. German isn't easy. Source: I'm a German.
But I wish you the very best learning it!

saving throw

Anyone have any examples of good books that can be commonly found at used book stores?

Never seen a used bookstore without some Henry James. DESU it's easier to look for specific publishers you like and trust rather than authors or specific books, especially since books not originally in english leave you at risk of getting bad translations.

Don't listen to these idiots... they have nothing to offer outside of empty words. Those are good books and will offer you a lot in terms of reward.

Why do I even come here anymore?

Just finished the priests story. Good god, that ending. This is going to be a good book

>want to buy local
>one local bookstore
>their new books selection is smaller than a classroom
>dont want to order cause im very particular about book editions and whatnot
>dont want to look like an autist
>go to barnes and noble
>they have it and several other editions on the shelf
do i just order from amazon lads?

Classics.
In in my experience most used book stores have a bunch of them and often leather bound Collections for almost nothing. Which books are classics will vary from country to country.

Rate?

Top one is 120 days of Sodom

Botton one has no English translation afaik
If its anything like his earlier books I have a fusillade of depraved sexual violence and philosophical discussions coupled with an intense hatred for everything that is considered good and holy by modern society to look forwards to. And somehow it manages to be beautiful af
Pretty psyched desu

what said is true, in addition take into account the clientele of the business and the owners.

Been to bookstores owned by dweebs with wall to wall paperback science fiction and fantasy; I've been to a bookstore owned by a suburban mom, I'm sure you can imagine all the self-help books, celebrity cookbooks and romance novels.

I found a bookstore that fits well though, they have a nice blend of contemporary and vintage books. They also have an online database to search everything they have in the front or in the garage outback/downstairs.
Amazon, thrift stores, and ebay are also good sources.

The top one is The Good Soldier Svejk: and His Fortunes in the World War

this.

i honestly thank the original gassposter on a daily basis.

if you're a student and can get amazon prime for cheap, yes. totally worth.

I thought that was one book at first and was wondering why India was on the cover of that book.

bad idea. without an understanding of aesthetics (particularly, kantian) the claims will only make superficial sense. you'd be better off starting w the prince, but thats a dry as fuck and boring read imo, so it might scare you away. an easy intro is existentialism, but descartes is also a good intro.