Is reading Veeky Forums's starter book list good to start enlightening myself...

Is reading Veeky Forums's starter book list good to start enlightening myself? I haven't done daily reading in a long time and would like to go back to that better time. How about Veeky Forums's top 100?

Other urls found in this thread:

sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html#foot
docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

For comprehensiveness use Bloom's western canon list or something like that.

I'd say just read what you like. If a book's synopsis doesn't sound interesting to you, then why read it.

I don't know what you mean by enlightening. Most of those books are assigned to high schoolers; you're not going to gain thirty IQ points and become at peace with the world because you read The Catcher in the Rye. You should read whatever you think you'll enjoy

"Enlightening" is kind of a big word. These are just easily accessible books for you to hone your literary analysis skills. They're easy to "read into," and get you thinking about deeper things such as themes, prose style, character development, and historical and social context.

Start with Brave New World and 1984.

Sorry, enlightening wasn't the proper word. I'm just trying to become well-read again after many years; I've read all but 3 on the starter list. Are there some books in your guys' opinions that have come out recently that should merit a mention?

I'm on the same boat. Do any anons have experience in jumping straight into the classics of American, British, Russian, etc. literature? Is it really necessary or beneficial to read a good amount of the more modern, comprehensible lit first?

Start with the greeks, western canon, etc.

sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html#foot
docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub

why didn't you include harry potter, a work of such vital influence to contemporary political discourse???

no this is bad and makes me angry! grr!

>100% male
>95% white
>100% anglocentric
Seriously, what the fuck?

dis fine dame aint no male

The Bible? Whats up with the religion shills here lately?

half of those are 8th grade required reading..

It's a list of books you'd likely read in high school, which are not too difficult to read and analyze. If you are not used to reading literature you should start with some of those books before moving into more complex things.

Yeah Michelangelo was a fucking hack

Those are a good starting point to read at all and after you've got a taste for it you can read whatever you like. If you want to be enlightened you should probably get into philosophy/history/political theory so when you feel ready start with the greeks.

>lately
the bible can be appreciated as a piece of literature whether or not you believe in god.

Honestly fucking scrap the starter kit and go with Moby Dick, Kafka or Dosto for starting, considerably better but still easy to read.

Start with the greeks cunt

Thought "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" was pretty bad. There are better books from PKD.

It's a list of good books. Not inclusive books.

>Ask local library if they have Fear and loathing
>"Haven't heard of it"
>Hunter S Thompson, they made it into a movie.
>It had Jonny Depp
>Alright I'll see if it's on the system
>We don't have it here but I can order it from 200km away
So I bought an e-reader

What does the general public even read? I know mum reads the bible and agatha christie.

>mum reads the bible and agatha christie
same
won't read barely any of my recommendations because they're too depressing.

please stop. i know its bait and a joke but when i see posts like these i actually consider if maybe the tumblr trigger warning culture isnt mostly bullshit because this shit triggers me every fucking time.

>This shit triggers me every fucking time
>Please stop
that's not how trolling works

I read about half of them, and of those I again liked about half.
But yes I'd say they're a good way to find out what you like in literary fiction. All of them are considered classics anyway.

My mom's favorite novel is Perfume, that's pretty patrician imo

Yeah, there’s some meming about them, but they are decent and accessible novels that have some depth and are fairly interesting plotwise; they are also rather short. Basically it’s the response to the question ‘hey I haven’t read much, what would be a good book to start?’

>Basically it’s the response to the question ‘hey I haven’t read much, what would be a good book to start?’
Well, it's titled "starter kit", not "the absolute best novels ever written". In that regard i think the list is pretty great at that
I'm currently trying to read all of it and i've loved every one of them i've read so far

>lately

can you recommend me something user?