I tried to read a Cormac McCarthy book and thought, why doesn’t this cocksucker use quotation marks?

I tried to read a Cormac McCarthy book and thought, why doesn’t this cocksucker use quotation marks?

Other urls found in this thread:

ilanmochari.com/blog-december-2009.html
youtube.com/watch?v=HBKyMDvxogk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Consider the possibility that the cocksucker is you.

>using quotation marks when literally anyone with a brain can figure out whats dialogue and whats not with just a few seconds of thought

Joyce and Gaddis were right

Something about wanting the writing to be as simple as possible to read. He doesn't use semicolons either.

>not using quotation marks
>instead making every reader spend "a few seconds" longer, trying to decipher your writing
wew what genius

>being retarded

This is why they don't let pregnant women compete in thermometer-eating contests anymore.

ilanmochari.com/blog-december-2009.html
its a quote from Ellroy

Whoever said it, if his mom had gotten the abortion before he was born maybe it wouldn't have gone so horribly wrong.

james ellroy owns

>james ellroy
Because they are an eyesore and sully up the page with unnecessary debris.

Hey, noone judges babby for learning to ride a bike with training wheels

Why does this cocksucker use " Ellroy has become known for a telegrammatic prose style in his most recent work, wherein he frequently omits connecting words and uses only short, staccato sentences"

I'm assuming you don't know who Ellroy is. He said he didn't like the Spanish in it either I quote "who am I Juan Ellroy". He's great surprised lit doesn't meme his public persona more often

Agreed. Guy's such a character that I always imagine his books characters to be him wearing different clothes.

are you him or his agent?

Quotation marks look like little ants little critters crawling all over the page and he don't like them lil buggers creeping up and down his writing paper and it sends him back to when he was young and nobody knew him and once ate a stale tortilla moldy teeming with ants all over and he had to and there was nothing else and he swiped his calloused hand over the sheet of paper and as he watched the scattering bugs he spat and muttered to himself no more and wiped and rubbed the paper of the tiny black dots and some of them were not insects but punctuation signs and he growled no more no more of them commas and quotation marks and spat and edited out all those dark specks defiling his paper which had to be replaced anyway as it was full of crushed critters and tortilla crumbs and spit and he spat.

good post

>maximum hack

McCarthy's disdain for punctuation at least developed organically, he picked it up while working as a scribe for his professor in college. It's not something he does to be unique.

structural experimentalism is always a gimmick designed to place its wielder under a spotlight he would have been unable to earn by merit within the limits of traditional form

actually
>This signature style is not the result of a conscious experimentation but of chance and came about when he was asked by his editor to shorten his novel L.A. Confidential by more than one hundred pages. Rather than removing any subplots, Ellroy achieved this by cutting every unnecessary word from every sentence, creating a unique style of prose.

Anyway, after those "how he invented it" moments, it has obviously been intentional - for both of the authors discussed.

ayyy, if he really did it that way I'll give it a pass

lol at this retarded excuse, "I want to be simple to read, which is why I avoid the agreed-upon rules everyone uses to ensure legibility and end up annoying the reader and drawing his complaints for being abstruse"

you don't want to be simple, you want cheap attention :)

He did that in some works, largely to reduce page count
he has returned to traditional prose

>“There are big gaps in my literary knowledge. I’ve never read anything by Faulkner. I haven’t read anything by William Gaddis or James Baldwin. I tried to read True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey, because I met him, but I didn’t buy his style. I tried to read a Cormac McCarthy book and thought, Why doesn’t this cocksucker use quotation marks? I picked up another Cormac McCarthy book and saw that there were six or seven consecutive pages in Spanish. I didn’t know what it meant. My name isn’t Juan Ellroy, OK?”

I found True History to be an easy read, but then I've already read Gene Wolfe so a first person narration in dialect isn't out of left field for me.
I think he would like and should give it a go.

poopy

But does it make it simpler to read? It seems like it runs the risk of confusing the reader, even if only for a split second, all for the sake of removing two characters from a sentence.

I'd argue that adding speed bumps to the page scan is not worth a few extra characters.

>developed organically
Yeah, like my farts. And, since I'm no Nora Joyce, they have about the same literary value too.

because if you know what you're doing you don't need those superfluous markings

If somebody is telling you a story you don't need to them to air quotes whenever they're quoting a person to figure it out. Context is generally more than enough.

I read The Road a couple of years ago and literally didn't even notice this until somebody pointed it out to me afterwards. It's not like he just disposes of quotation marks, the prose is structured in such a way that it's basically impossible to not follow what's going on unless you're retarded.

I'm the person who replied to three people originally. No obviously. I generally don't recommend him here as his work is genre fiction and most people here wouldn't consider reading it

This feels grimy and I like it good post

>I tried to read a Cormac McCarthy book and thought, why doesn’t this cocksucker use quotation marks?
It's a nu-male thing, you wouldn't understand.

it literally takes no time at all to figure it out in either Joyce or Gaddis since they both use dashes to distinguish speakers from narration

clearly you've read neither

James Ellroy for president.

Obama BTFO:

youtube.com/watch?v=HBKyMDvxogk

Don't be friends with people who don't get Ellroy.

>asked by his editor to shorten his novel L.A. Confidential by more than one hundred pages.
Death to the Author... how about Death to the Editor!!! How much great art has been sacrificed in the name of their laziness.

Got any excerpts of this Ellroy prose style, no "connecting" words.

>lol at this retarded excuse,
I dont have a problem reading his writing (mainly because context clues exist and you can see more than one word at once while reading), do you by any chance happen to be retarded and/or a faggot?

""""""""Ye.""""""""""""

what now, corncobfags? what; now?

Now you know why John Brunner had this on his typewriter.

Ricardo walked his horse to the azure lake which certainly the exegesisarious god did spat full. Don't make me try to force you to drink from this here lake Maria Santiago Perez, we've got a long journey ahead, and if you drink some aqua, and we make it back to the Tortilla Flats before night fall, we will stay up late eating tacos with Paco and the gang, and watching futbol on de telmundo.

The horse spat and neighed, much to Ricardos dismay. Damn you stupid mare, you stupid ass! Ricardo said, chasing the horse around the desert sands.

Omgmgmgmgmgm what the fuckkk did he mean by this???

We're not saying it's impossible, but more complex than what is needed. This isn't some labour saving requirement to save a monk's time, or so some guy doesn't have to keep going up and down a ladder to get them from the type-box.

"Ok", "I said"!, lmao mate, 100% sooo $$$$$ """""" ;';';';' ;';'****** # @ # $ % ^ ^ * 7 :L9;l9'9l9'l9 And then """" I said """"""" This is what I said in case you didnt know """" "" " " " " " " " " * & * *: ": ": , .,. ,. ,.,. ,. : : ? " . '.' .'

DOOPY

nobody has any difficulty reading it, the point is that it doesn't make it simpler, it's only a cheap ploy used to attract attention as a bleeding-edge author not shackled by literary conventions, or some such garbage