/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Taboo Edition
>What are you reading?
>What did you recently read?
>what book did you read in 2017 that dealt with taboo subjects?
>what books are you going to read in 2017 that deal with taboo subjects.

Fantasy
Selected:
>i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg
General:
>i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg
Flowchart:
>i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg

Science Fiction
Selected:
>i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg
>i.imgur.com/IBs9KE8.jpg
General:
>i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg
>i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/book/show/29743933-they-mostly-come-out-at-night
transfer.sh/lajjO/reading.zip
chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/Veeky
debt.org/tax/type/
amazon.com/dp/B01CHDTRU6
archive.is/iK3Lv
youtube.com/watch?v=RZvcKB9vQO0
youtube.com/watch?v=QUo1OlnOH-A
youtube.com/watch?v=nuUkLbOAWcU
youtu.be/cZkqMo8U7KM?list=PLmkBRqy8hlPJcugtHKIEK7RKrGA-VIoYP
youtube.com/watch?v=CqawD93UUcc
youtube.com/watch?v=vXqHJYz8NXo
youtube.com/watch?v=BOnl6jxaLIA
youtube.com/watch?v=nNsDXeHUkLw
youtube.com/watch?v=QU-9yFjSKYg
youtube.com/watch?v=N4ZDBOc2tX8&list=PLH3mK1NZn9QqOSj3ObrP3xL8tEJQ12-vL
myanonamouse.net/inviteapp.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>reading
Earthsea, just because it's some comfy archetypal fantasy (LeGuin does that well)
Caliban's War because I saw the first season of the Expanse and thought it had some interesting universe concepts (but the dialogue's a bit meh)
>read
Just finished Wheel of Osheim. Disappointed at anti-climax ending and unresolved issues, villains that went nowhere, etc.
>taboo
I read the Black Company, pretty gritty but couldn't get past the writing style. Did not finish.

>The most taboo book
I read the first two books of the Doctrine of Labyrinths or some shit and it somehow managed to be more incestuous than The Irregular at Magic High School (you know that anime where the sister wants to fuck the brother? Yeah, that incest but ga/y/) and had the most amount of gay and rape I had ever seen in a book.

Wasn't that great to be absolutely honest.

The current series I'm reading is very tame in comparison.

This book is super comfy user.

*super comfy insofar

Threadly Reminder
Ruthfuss a shit, Sanderson is anime

Well it's almost Valentine's day. What are the best romantic sci-fi and fantasy novels? Twilight series?

What's some top Urban Fantasy kino?

Tigana.

Just finished Foundation by Isaac Asimov. I highly highly recommend. You get to follow the fall of Space Rome and people trying to create the Second Space Rome.

Just started this as well due to the recommendations in the last thread. Did go through the series or do you plan to?

The Black Jewels Trilogy

>Ruthfuss a shit

I tried getting into Kingkiller Chronicles since I always hear about it, and it was fucking horrible.

Kvothe is shit and that literal whore that he obsesses over despite being some sort of natural sex god is even worse. What do people see in this series?

With Eddison do I start with his trilogy or The Worm Ouroborous?

Also thoughts on the Dragonmaster series by Chris Bunch? Seems like a better version of Eragon.

One thing that pissed me off about The Name of the Wind was that Kvothe obsessed over the most boring girl imaginable while every other girl, especially Fela, who showed the slightest interest in him were marginally better and more interesting.

Name me one fantasy series where the main character chooses an interesting love interest? You can't.

denna's a virgin

What quality copy of his books?

I plan on going through with the rest of it but not right away. I'm taking a break to read something else and then will return to the Foundation series so I don't get Foundation fatigue. How are you liking it so far?

I don't think I've ever regretted reading a book more. It started off half-decent so I was hopeful that it would pick up later on because there were some interesting things to the world, but almost nothing happened the entire fucking book it was like a giant fucking introduction chapter and the interesting part where the guy goes out on an adventure and discovers the power of the wards is literally left out, there's a time skip and the dude just turns up being the edgiest and overpowered character to ever be written into existence while the chick spends half the book just deciding who she loses her virginity to. The two main characters turned into the biggest mary sue and marty stu types ever with literally zero flaws, I mean the whole thing about how the demons are so strong even armies can't beat them and they can only be warded off goes to the shitter when the MC starts murdering them alone with bare hands by the dozens.

Someone please recommend me a good fantasy novel to read, something light, with good writing and story. I enjoy Gaiman, Pratchett and Tolkien. And I don't want to read a "wannabe lotr" ebin series of a hundred books, I just want one really good work of literature that's also fantasy.

goodreads.com/book/show/29743933-they-mostly-come-out-at-night

This books looks really interesting but I can't find a download for it. Damn. I guess because it's fairly new and unknown.

hey you, scifi guys!

Is Dhalgren good?

I've just started The Vorrh, is it any good?

I can't find a download for Senlin Ascends.

That's just your bad, it exists. Don't bother with it though, I tried reading it and it sucks dick.

Which site, master? I've looked several times already. I'm interested in the premise.

Hey can we talk about science fiction instead of generic genre fiction about elves this thread?

Lord of Light is one of the best science fiction books I've ever read. If you haven't read it, you have to get it right fucking now, you're missing out.

Just started pic related. Pretty great

Reading pic related. Basically about attempting to guide evolution from the beginning. Good bit of religious imagery. Prose is kinda heavy. I'm sure /pol/ would love the emphasis on creating a matriarchal society where foolish males know their place.

>What are you reading?
I'm two hundred pages into Gateway by Frederik Pohl. The way it combines space exploration with psychological examination was unexpected, but it makes for compelling read so far, with more characterisation and human interest than something like Rendezvous With Rama (another alien object in space story.) The way that horrific and intriguing details appear obliquely in passing reminds me of Roadside Picnic. So, I'm keen to read to the end of this one.

Is Pohl's Man Plus also good?

looking to get into The Redwall series. should i go with chronological order or order of release?

yes

>what book did you read in 2017 that dealt with taboo subjects?
The Great Ordeal by Bakker.
>what books are you going to read in 2017 that deal with taboo subjects.
The Unholy Consult by Bakker.
Can't wait to be with my husbando Shaeönanra, who literally did nothing wrong.

>Has pretty much a sugar daddy that beats her
>Constant admirers/dates
>Kinda strings kvothe along

I mean, kvothe is a shitty character. Self insert mary sue but she's not exactly any better

I remember reading these series when I was younger, and getting pissed off at Denna's and Kvothe's relationship by how stupid it was.

Mein nigger.

Redwall series is pretty comfy. Enjoy.

I'm reading Vacuum Flowers, which I'm pretty sure is going to end up being a better version of When Gravity Fails, but I'm getting distracted by other things so it might be a week or two until I finish it.

What do you prefere, large scale battles, small fights among few men or single duels?

>walk into barnes and noble
>want to go get a redwall book
>its in the fucking kids section
>theres a whole bunch of small children and their moms
>everyone lookin at me
>sweating profusely
>cant find it
>employee comes up
>"can i help you"
>jump and freak the fuck out
>run out of the store full speed
i havent done this but this is why i have yet to get these books. i cant bring myself to just walk into that section goddammit. i feel like everyones lookin at me like "what the fuck is he doing in here? what a weirdo"

Nobody gives a flying fuck. They will assume you're getting it for your child/sibling depending on your age.

Just think to yourself you're buying the series for for a niece or nephew you dolt. Or better yet

Invest in a kindle or nook and get the entire series and others for free.

autism

>Taboo edition
hhhmmmgh

But it was explained how he got so powerful

Myanonamouse for all of these: myanonamouse.net

You must sit a short interview for an invite and they interview twice daily.

Contains Senlinx2 + Night
transfer.sh/lajjO/reading.zip 14 days

Forgot to quote

see

whats it say, archives are fucked up for me so thats why i asked again here.

chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/Veeky Forums-x/ohnjgmpcibpbafdlkimncjhflgedgpam

go with the chronological order

>chrome
I've got it already but it still 403'd

Thanks

These are my settings.
You can change which archive set you use.

Okay, I keep seeing Bakker being mentioned here quite a bit. Should I honestly look into it or is it just rape memes and mommy incest?

aw neat, i didnt know you could do that.

do you guys use ebooks? if so where do you get them?

Libgen, BookZZ

Piratebay, gen.lib.rus.ec, bookzz

MAM, Bibliotik, Mobilism, libgen, Irchighway #ebooks, Undernet #books, TPB in the order of ease of use.

The new music trackers (PasstheHeadphones and Apollo) are excellent places to get books bought and uploaded for you if you are willing wait for a long interview (I didn't need to sit one to get in) and have plenty of spare upload to burn.

MAM interview is much shorter and should only take about 13 minutes.

/sffg/ should I even bother trying to publish something? I know I'm never going to be a respected and beloved author, I can't even finish most short stories for fuck's sakes. as long as it's just a fantasy I can't get let down by reality. besides, I'm making good money as a programmer

user, look at the trash that gets through every day. I do it every time I get discouraged. We're gonna make it.

I don't just want to to have readers. I want to have fans. I want people who read my writing and were actually inspired by it. I want people drawing fan art and getting in shipping wars.

So you want a cult?

here's what I do.
I date some, and usually university girls, 19 to 23 therebaouts. What I do to check wether they are proper material? I do have some standards, so they should be reading for fun, so I can talk to them - about reading. ( but also theatre or movies or television ).

The most important lithmustest I let them pass though is this: I provide them with my google drive archive of my ( for 10 years work in progress ) scifi epos, and I casually ask them if they'd like to read through that, maybe comment on it.

Those who read through everything, and let comments drop every other page, or correct spelling throughout the whole thing?

Proper Dating Material.

It's really satisfactory to watch them read through your stuff and comment on it. I had a handful who got through everything ( literally 3.000 full pages ), and who really enjoyed speculating plot and intrigue with me.

This is what you should do.

:)

Have fun!

If you're asking someone you're dating for feedback all you're going to get is good, good.

Family members and online readers are going to offer more constructive criticism if you actually want to improve and not just praise.

>Readan
Hyperion for the first time
It's pretty good so far. Just got the part with the crucifix parasites in the labyrinth. Shit's wild.

debt.org/tax/type/

Leave him be user. He is that autistic user that skips pages then comes in here to rant about shit that was explained thoroughly in the book.

>Taboo Edition
Don't mind if I do!
amazon.com/dp/B01CHDTRU6
archive.is/iK3Lv

I fucking hate faggots like you. You are the type of idiots that got what.cd taken down. You advertise PRIVATE trackers on social media and let in normies.

I hope you get a bullet.

Wait till you get to the poet dude. That shit is too funny, too bad we won't ever get to see John Hurt play the part.

This desu - if Piers bloody Anthony can be a success there's no reason you can't.

Only a retarded ledditor would frogpost and retardedly forget that you're on Veeky Forums.

The more people uploading shit the better.

>taboo

>mumbles
>grunts
>fucks his sister
>butchers some fag
>wears a top hat

We /bigguy/ now

My gripe with most scifi and fantasy is the dialogue and the kind of prude attitude towards sex.

Who doesn't?

Pepe was started on Veeky Forums, you redshitor. If I use him so what? All those cunts will do is try to hit and run, and then go tell it to their grandmother.

Fucking normies like yourself trying to fit in on the internet and making a hash of it.

Plz an hero.

>Pepe was started on Veeky Forums
A year ago and now the only shitters spamming those retarded images now are ledditors and dumblr users because the association with those shitholes are truly disgusting.

>Plz
And the retarded newfag makes itself known.

>and then go tell it to their grandmother
What did he mean by this?

You 2 should be put to the sword.

Everything in the post means that it is the retard came from /ptg/ aka r/trackers which is a cancerous reddit shithole and all the users there are completely incapable of functioning normally and can only think in terms of muh sekrit club and trying to getting each other banned.

This one is probably the shitter that listens to audiobooks and Rothfuss all day.

No, I want adoring fans and people who are inspired by my books to write their own

It's unsurprising, however that these kinds of truly cancerous selfish reddit retards try so hard to sabotage everyone else's reading habits the same way they try to get other people banned, dox users, post eceleb bullshit and steal other people's passwords amongst other things:

>That's just your bad, it exists.
Muh sekrit site that no one else can hear about.

>Don't bother with it though, I tried reading it
Look at me I'm a complete attentionwhore who downloaded it but I'm not going to share it with the person who asked for it.

>it sucks dick
My three word egotistical opinion on its quality, I'm not even going to discuss why it's bad or how it's good because all that matters is the fact that I can attentionwhore that I have a sekrit club I'm part of and you're not.

Give me good /sffg/-related Youtube channels. Audiobooks. Lectures. Discussions.

My job is too easy, and I have access to the internet. I need something to burn my time.

>i can't use the internet to search for something
>everything must be handed to me because I am special
>i am better than you, therefore look for something i want
Go fuck yourself

You meant that you were the one who so desperately needed spoonfeeding right? Because 99% of the documents on /ptg/ explaining all the pathways to get into your precious 'secret' trackers were written by me.

So you take that absolutely retarded selfish attitude of yours and shove it back up your reddit ass where it belongs.

How do I get a Bibliotik account?

Here's some stuff

youtube.com/watch?v=RZvcKB9vQO0
youtube.com/watch?v=QUo1OlnOH-A
youtube.com/watch?v=nuUkLbOAWcU
youtu.be/cZkqMo8U7KM?list=PLmkBRqy8hlPJcugtHKIEK7RKrGA-VIoYP
youtube.com/watch?v=CqawD93UUcc
youtube.com/watch?v=vXqHJYz8NXo
youtube.com/watch?v=BOnl6jxaLIA
youtube.com/watch?v=nNsDXeHUkLw
youtube.com/watch?v=QU-9yFjSKYg
youtube.com/watch?v=N4ZDBOc2tX8&list=PLH3mK1NZn9QqOSj3ObrP3xL8tEJQ12-vL

They used to recruit from What.cd (music tracker, which suggests that Bibliotik would later resume recruitment at PasstheHeadphones the sucessor after that site was taken down) but apparently they've stopped recruiting right now to prevent all the people who hate books but are willing to upload to get into sites that they do want.

Back on what.cd the requirements were interview on What.cd (long arduous process especially if you aren't a music fan, 3 attempts) → reach power user class (25 GB upload, 5 uploads the upload can be books), waith 6 months, acquire an elibrary like overdrive because the recruiter asks for one (they now accept elibraries that aren't overdrive but this wasn't the case) → get a Bibliotik account

However on the other hand Bibliotik has less material than either MAM, libgen, TPB, etc so chances are if it's not on the other sites I've listed it's not anywhere.

But if you want a /sffg/ book that's not on any site post it in this thread and I'll look for it for you on Bibliotik.

>this wasn't the case
This wasn't always the case

And MAM? Their signup link is broken

They regularly interview. at the times described on: myanonamouse.net/inviteapp.php

Interviews are very easy as the interviewer will essentially go over the rules with you and how to torrent and whatnot.

Most MAM books are available on Mobilism and the rest of the sites. However, the odd book that you can't find anywhere but can find on that website does pop up like the three books in this thread and people seem to upload pre-release ARCs (these are technically forbidden) but I downloaded one.

MAM is also about five thousand times easier than Bibliotik because private trackers require the user to maintain a ratio but MAM ratio can be bought with bonus points gained from seeding and you don't need to actually upload data for points.

MAM is better for lots of fiction and Bibliotik is better for textbooks and non fiction especially the ones that people rip off their academic subscriptions,

I'm about halfway through Tigana and man that's some good shit.

>I want people drawing fan art and getting in shipping wars.
Are there catgirls? Catgirls accrete fanart.

Okay, so it was a christian allegorical. The dedication to C. S. Lewis really should have tipped me off there. Fairly enjoyable. Would recommend to those who enjoy that sort of thing.

Tigana is great.

You should screenshot your mouse info so the mods can ip ban you.

I hope you get v&'d

I'd put up a download link but no one seems to have pirated it yet.

>He says this as he gives his IP to Veeky Forums a website known for hosting terrorists, massmurderers and pedophiles to the Veeky Forums moderators and gives the court bulletproof evidence for a lawsuit against him telling the police that he had an account on what.cd, uses social media, has Senlin Ascends in his browser history and posts on /ptg/ and meanwhile we know that he has an myanonamouse account because he just told everyone
>He also is busy telling people to commit suicide or to get themselves killed which is terribly suspicious
There is a difference between hoping that someone else will get v&'d and actively trying to get v&'d user.

I'll also remind you, dear user, that earlier in the day I posted that you tried to 'get other people banned, dox users, post eceleb bullshit and steal other people's passwords'. Unfortunately it seems that this list is incomplete and that I should also add 'telling people to kill themselves and get arrested by the FBI' to the end.

According to a recent interview with Garry Kasparov, the reason there's been such a glut of dystopia-themed novels over the past couple of years is that unlike Russians, Americans are ill-equipped to deal with propaganda and misinformation and are seeking a way to cope and come to terms with this new, terrifying reality.

wtf I love Stevian now

uh, thanks.