Self Study Thread

Is there anyone here who either isn't working on a science/math degree or is working on a meme degree like Computer Science? Are you learning math/science on your own? Have you been successful with that? Do you think it's worth studying these subjects for their own sake, as a hobby? Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

springer.com/cda/content/document/cda_downloaddocument/9783642272509-c2.pdf?SGWID=0-0-45-1526174-p174275760
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Do you think it's worth studying these subjects
yes, its a skill that you can apply to a shitload of areas.

> for their own sake, as a hobby?
no. the value from them comes from the fact that it will sharpen your mind and give you tools to succeed in your job.

Yes I have been studying physics and machine learning on my own. I've made good progress. Currently doing 3rd year physics.

The main frustration is not having someone to ask questions when I get stuck. To some extent I mitigate this by getting 6-8 texts on each subject and looking at the other books when I get stuckl.

One benefit is I only have to learn what I'm interested in. E.g. when I did abstract algebra I basically skipped Rings and Ideals because not relevent to physics (at least, for now).

>Science and mathematics have no intrinsic value outside the job market
What a cold, passionless outlook

I have all the books I need and I'm in the process of getting more. I plan to self study nearly every field under sun from the comfort of my room. I already downloaded all the courses/curriculum pages for all the "degrees" they have at the major universities. I really enjoy learning new things and expanding my knowledge base, It's also nice having a lot of books to look at, it's very cozy and comforting.

Good luck when you get stuck and you want to throw your books into the trash.

>get stuck
>tfw you'll never be a filthy wagecuck

lol ok I have everything you can possibly imagine in my library. I'll always have something interesting to intrigue my mind with filthy pleb. I bet your one of those wagecucks. You're just mad god never blessed you with a superior intellect and the discipline to study for the rest of your life. Have fun being a modern day serf filthy prole.

why don't u go to a college? it's much better than studying on your own
are private universities so expensive and/or public ones so bad in your country?
and yes, you SHOULD study mathematics at least. physics are not so important for computer scientists, but it's worth looking into, at least a little. good computer scientists have a vast knowledge in mathematics. in fact, computer science is one of the fields closest to mathematics. algebra, functions, trigonometry, matrixes, differential equations, cryptography, everything listed is used in computer science.
yes, math can be useful for many things, hobbies included (algorithms to sudoku solution for example), just don't overdo it

>and yes, you SHOULD study mathematics at least. physics are not so important for computer scientists, but it's worth looking into, at least a little. good computer scientists have a vast knowledge in mathematics. in fact, computer science is one of the fields closest to mathematics. algebra, functions, trigonometry, matrixes, differential equations, cryptography, everything listed is used in computer science.
That's... not a vast knowledge in mathematics.

>Do you think it's worth studying these subjects for their own sake, as a hobby?
Yes and no. Yes because you'll gain a better understanding of things around you and it'll stimulate those neurons. It might not be worth it to others because you need to think about the opportunity cost - the time you spend studying sci/math means less time studying your field of expertise. And the knowledge will just fade if you're not actively using/applying it. So studying it can be great, but don't force it. There are better uses of time and other useful skills you can gain

it was a short example, I'm not gonna list every single fucking math related subject computer scientists need to know

Even though I'm a computer science/statistics major, I've been studying linear analysis and real analysis because math is my hobby.

CS in burgerland doesn't require analysis? No wonder burgers see it as a meme degree. On my uni, CS is pretty much an applied math degree.

I'm a web dev (front-end)

Trying to teach myself some math / physics and some statistics stuff to get better from a technical perspective.

I've been self studying since I was 10 or so. I'm generally a generalist, though the bulk of my investment has been in pathology, molecular biology, and computer science. The lattermost being the nature of computation and computational machinery relative to the underlying logic that drives the universe. There are certain constants you see across all machines. Tells you about nature.

I know a bit about physics, mechanical engineering, etc. Can write software, typically I write C++ as though it's C. I'd like to know a lot more, there are many barriers. I'm repeatedly attempting to start learning Russian. My knowledge of mathematics is a patchwork. I'm repeatedly restarting with elementary school level algebra. Foundational things. Cannot even fluidly use the multiplication table half the time. Just seem to have forgotten.

What makes you think I live in Burgerland?

>working on a meme degree like Computer Science
Yeah it's a meme, I recently graduated and now make $135k+/yr straight out of college. Such a meme

Don't know of any CS programme in yuropoor that doesn't require undergrads to take anal. Usually taught from Zorich, though i don't know anyone from south or scandinavia.

ok you got me I live in Burgerland

Yeah my CS degree doesn't require real analysis, but my double major in statistics does require it, and then my minor in mathematics requires linear analysis, so that's part of why I'm taking it

Not sure how real analysis would be useful to computer science though, beyond what is already taught in advanced algorithms courses

Real analysis is freshman course (2 semesters) here, serving as an introduction to the rigor of mathematics. It is usually taken along with lingebra (Strang's lingebra with applications) and algebra (Lang's graduate textbook), prepairing you to pretty much everything you can meet in undergrad. It is also very helpful to know real anal before you take complex/harmonic which is mandatory for signals course.
I have used anal throughout whole undergrad, if i'm not counting math courses where its use is obvious, in algorithms and data structures (CLRS) and in automata and grammars course.

At my Uni too, Linear algebra and combinatorics were the first two lectures I had to take

Yeah in my university, it's mostly taken by second year and third-year students, so I'll be taking it next year (when I'm 18, not sure what year that corresponds to where you live)

Linear algebra/diffeq most people take in their freshman year though

why would you need calculus to program computers lol

Good books for set theory? I dunno where to start with math

KILL YOURSELF!!!!!

Naive Set Theory by Paul Halmos. It would be a tough introduction though, I read it as a refresher from what I learned years ago in Discrete Math in uni.

The only things you need to know about set theory at the start are what you would pick up in the introductory chapters of textbooks on other subjects. They will teach you the basics so you will be able to read and understand the rest of the text.

Calculus isn't real anal lol
CS isn't programming lol
Why would you want to use measure theory lol
Oh wait, probability is actually an essential part of many algorithms lol

t. clueless wrt CS

Taught myself calculus in the 10th grade before taking it.

Fucked some girl from school at her parents home at10th grade

your life looks comfy

What books do you have on insect diversity? Mathematical ecology? Semiotics? Cock studies?

how is CS a meme degree?
It's the easiest degree that can land you a decent job right out of school. If anything it's math/physics that are pure memes.

Salty mathematicans realizes they'll never make significant contributions, but they've always been told they're special snowflakes so in order to preserve said delusion they go hivemind and make up some fad to make themselves feel better. This is standard human behavior. Decent mathematicans don't waste time with illogical CS slurs for they are not insecure about their profession.

>20 best italian recipes: The cookbook

Yes I'm currently learning Nite Mathematics, Alculus, and Iology

currently studying optics on my own apart from my major and also ionospheric science

you think people are gonna wake up at 8 am and watch youtube videos to get smart about a subject?

Fuck no. they need the pressure of student loan debt to get their ass up and drive to the university.

Mathfag here.

You don't need to go to Uni to become a scientist or mathematician... but it is definitely the easiest way.

I have studied several topics on my own: Machine Learning, Information Theory, Category Theory, etc. Thing is, if you are studying "hard" things like those you will undoubtedly have questions and need help.

For me having access to my Uni professors has help a lot, just reaching to them and asking "I'm trying to learn X and I have these questions".

This is a solid answer to OP. This is what Veeky Forums should be like. Thank you.

Computers begins call computer, because first computer were people makes calculus over diff eq for physics.

Physics,mathematics and EE build firsts computer to works on numerics calculus.

pls post math learning list.
Soon to be EE freshmen here.

Can I get that in English?

What maths book would you recommend for a former engineering undergraduate who is fully comfortable with high school maths but want to learn useful maths in his spare time? I also want to learn things in a non stamp collecty way or to learn dumbed down stuff. But I also don't want to dive in to turboautistic non useful stuff.

I realised the engineering and physics textbook I have is pretty much a reference book and that is why it was so boring. I went through some of the annoying integrals section (beginner stuff) a long while ago and have pretty much forgotten it, which isn't a good sign.

I'm mech eng, I had my maths classes 3 years ago.
I recently revised the calculus portion using Apostol's Calculus 1 and 2.
Would recommend.

How to Prove It: A Structured Approach
First part munkres topology

I'm working on a medical degree, so that's technically
>isn't working on a science/math degree.
Or, I guess it is a science degree, but it's aimed at a career, not at advancing a field of knowledge. I should get your guys' input though, is a medical degree at a medschool a science degree?

protips : Biology of the 21st century is physics of the 20th century.

Its fukkan ridiculous to see someone in a suit write incoherent math on glass.
what a dipshit

about to do some self-studying for the first time. Gonna read through the whole 30th edition machinery's handbook and take notes along the way. Maybe then I'll have an actual clue of what I'm doing in the shop

ya that's the bait

"I like to write integrals and the quadratic formula on glass in my high rise building in a suit, as a business guy"

what, just in terms of advancement?

Just curious, what kind of math is used in the new biology research?

Fuck off with your CRISPR memes you fucking biologists!!!

Actually, life science is the physics of the 21st century.
>posting crispr
>not posting something like this
springer.com/cda/content/document/cda_downloaddocument/9783642272509-c2.pdf?SGWID=0-0-45-1526174-p174275760
The sky is the limit

I've been studying chemistry on my own as a side hobby while I work in finance. I've enjoyed it a lot and learned a lot. I'm sure it's not as rigorous and my knowledge is less complete than a real student, but it's actually pretty relaxing to be able to learn at your own pace with no deadlines. Maybe someday I'll actually pursue a degree in it and go into some cross functional field like cost estimation. My only advice is to take notes just like you would in a real class, and make yourself study a little every day.

I am just starting my 2nd year as a Physics student, but for all intents and purposes i self study. I've only gone to campus for exams so far. I obviously can't speak for hobbyists, since my goal is getting a degree. But as far as my success goes, it's been pretty good. With the amount of resources available on the internet to supplement your textbooks it's incredibly easy to study by yourself. It does get somewhat lonely though and not being able to have discussions with fellow students is a definite downside.

What tips do u guys have for self study? Im studying Machine learning atm

>no music
>close window blinds
>turn off phone
>get 7 hours of sleep
>eat healthily
>set up 401k
>don't be afraid to spend a lot on good socks

what was the question again?

cuck