Jewish devil: tool of God

Jewish devil: tool of God
Christian devil: Fallen archangel
Islamic devil: Jealous djinn

From a purely literary standpoint, which is more interesting to you?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=K6RUg-NkjY4
youtube.com/watch?v=VY1rmqsdAVk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

In what way is the Jewish devil a tool of God?
I'm sorry, not familiar with it...

In Judaism, Satan is used more as a tool to test mankind because they think the idea of an adversary to God. The Jewish reading of a book like Job is very different than the usual Christian reading.

Thank you.

Read the story of Job

Jewish and Christian interpretation are equally interesting imo. The Islamic interpretation doesn't really captivate me, but admittedly it's the religion I know the least about, so perhaps if I studied the faith a bit I'd walk away with a different understanding.

>implying it's not tool of God AND Fallen archangel

And to add to that, it's even feasible jealousy might have been part of the reason for his fall.

So you're saying God played Satan like a fiddle?

I feel like you need linear time to set someone up. It would seem more likely to me that God knew in advance about his fall and knew how to use that when it happens.

Both Jewish and Christian devils are interesting. Islam not as much. But, then again I am biased as I'm not really sure what djinn are. Aren't they like Genies?

Djinn (plural of djinni) are extra-dimensional being made of fire while humans are made of clay. When God created Adam, in the Qur'an, he ordered all of the dwellers of heaven to bow before Adam as his "khalifa" (successor). Iblis (sometimes also called Azazil) refused to bow to Adam because he believed that his being made of fire made him superior to a lowly creature of clay and because unlike angels, he had free will. He tempts Adam and Eve to eat from the tree and is punished, but begs God to have his punishment stayed until Armageddon for the thousands of years of service he gave. When God grants him that, Iblis swears that if he is going to hell, he will take as many of men and djinn with him as he can. God tells him he will only mislead those in whose hearts are no faith.

So it's kind of a blend of the Jewish and Christian versions, except here the devil is kind of a racist and a nihilist.

>racist
Fire is objectively better than clay. Sorry.

Huh, that's actually pretty cool.

t. Iblis

I think the point is that the devil only saw Adam's clay body, not his divine potential and so he fails the test designed to see if he truly understood the divine plan.

>Atheist devil: Religion.
Checkmate atheists.

>Hell in Atheism is any church, mosque, or synagogue
Shieeeeet

A lot of people are confused by the change of Satan from an angel to a genie, but I think it was cause the consensus eventually became among muslims that angels cannot/do not sin because of their nature being light.

Man is a mixture of divine light and putrid mud, and djinn are made of fire, so it made more sense from that point of view that these beings possessed an ability to sin.

If you were a writer, and following the islamic portrayal, you'd probably want to depict angels as highly intelligent and kind, but incapable of understanding why any being would choose to go against the will of God which they obey instinctively.

>The Jewish reading of a book like Job is very different than the usual Christian reading.
could you elaborate? im curious

>but begs God to have his punishment stayed until Armageddon for the thousands of years of service he gave.

>im going to trick people into sinning, pls let the punishment stay for a thousand years
'ok'

well, the caveat is that Satan cannot trick anyone whose heart is pure. So basically if Satan fucks your shit up, it's your fault because he'd never get near you if your faith is true. Satan's influence only grows here if man is negligent and impious. If man is good and just, Satan can't bother him.

It's not that simple. It's a lot more complex for various Christian denominations, and also for various Jewish movements as well.

>Islamic devil: Jealous djinn

What? How does that work? Why can't God just repel these parts of his creation? I mean, Djinns sounds way less powerful and essential to creation than Fallen Angels.

Please explain

see

I think it was precisely because angels are so essential to creation that the muzzies had trouble with the idea that angels "fall" as when you have the spiritual forces that cause the planets to move rebelling against God. With djinn, cause they're more on the human level in that they can be varying ranges of good and bad and aren't essential to the management of the cosmos, you don't have that philosophical dilemma.

Veeky Forums version:

Master and Margarita: tool of God
Paradise Lost: Fallen archangel
Divine Comedy: Both.
???: Jealous djinn

Jealous makes the most sense just by looking at how jealousy makes humans act

Jewish Devil: Chaotic Neutral
Christian Devil: Chaotic Evil
Islamic devil: Lawful Evil

But the Devil plays the fiddle!

youtube.com/watch?v=K6RUg-NkjY4

The concept of fallen angle wouldn't make sense within Islamic theology. Angels have no free will so the concept of djinns are essential.

>sounds way less powerful
if you stopped viewing literature as if it was a fucking issue of dragonball z you'd be able to see why this point is beyond retarded

Jewish devil is just a prosecutor. Very Lawful Neutral.

Also, I mean, if even angels can "fall", where is that assurance that there is a realm of being without sin? If angels can't sin and men can rise to a level higher than angels, then you have some assurance that there is a place of freedom from all evil that men can reach

true. guess I need to brush up on my alignments

But why would God create them in the first place?

why does god really create anything when if he created nothing, there'd be nothing but himself and thus nothing but perfection and goodness

Why do people have Roombas and sprinkler systems?

that's like saying "why should i ever cum? if i never cum i'm always horny and i've got all this cum in my balls"

Cuz he wanted to duhhh

So that's it? ''There are Djinns, God created them, don't question it''?

>there'd be nothing but himself and thus nothing but perfection and goodness

Damn, I'm so glad that there are Djinns out there to fuck up my life. Thank you God.

I want to read the quran now

Because the process of sex/masturbation feels fucking good. Plus it's healthy for your mind
inb4
>muh no fap

ye man that's what im saying god had cum all backed up all the way back to his eyeballs

he had to cum us out, he couldn't just stay

>God's creation process is really just himself masturbating

Jewish devil: 'god'
Christian devil: Classical hero living in a Chrisian epic
Islamic devil: 'god'

>Jewish devil: Jewish race
>Christian devil: Jews
>Islamic devil: Womens rights

>inb4 go back to /pol/

not really a fan of fairy tales sorry user

go back to /pol/

>this is actually part of the Egyptian creation myth

They aren't as categorical as that. The Christian devil is also a tool and jealous (prideful jealousy), the Islamic devil is also fallen and a tool, and the Jewish devil as far as I understand their reading is still fallen.

I'm fairly certain the Christian devil has been part of the most literature, so by default it goes to it.

To be fair, an entire important literary movement was essentially emulating Satan in Paradise Loft, which changed the interpretation of Satan entirely. Then occultism grew in popularity again in the 20th century, and even now orthodox black metal (characterized by theistic Satanism, rather than the old practice of paganism in addition to a Satanist aesthetic) is really popular.
youtube.com/watch?v=VY1rmqsdAVk