Split brain

>Parfit begins this chapter by making a refreshing break from the philosophical practice of thought-experiments, building instead on actual cases documented in medical literature. These are the famous ‘split-brain’ cases, in which surgeons severed the corpus callosum, the main bundle of nerve fibres connecting the left and right hemispheres of the human brain, as a treatment for epilepsy. Cutting the connection reduces the severity of epileptic attacks by preventing seizures from spreading from one hemisphere to the other. But there are side-effects.

>The effect, in the words of one surgeon, was the creation of ‘two separate spheres of consciousness’. (p 245)

>This radical conclusion was strongly based on clinical evidence. The hemispheres of the brain have long been known to show strong left-right differentiation. Images from the left side of the visual field flow to the right hemisphere, and vice versa. The right hemisphere primarily controls the left hand, and vice versa. Parfit describes split-brain patients being presented with two colours: red in the left half of their visual field and blue in the right half. The patients are questioned about what they saw. Answers originating in the left hemisphere are given by the right hand, and vice versa. A patient is asked how many colours he can see. The response from each hand is, “One.” When asked to identify the colour, the left hand responds, “Red” and the right hand responds “Blue”.
W-What the fuck Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wfYbgdo8e-8
amazon.co.uk/Master-His-Emissary-Divided-Western/dp/0300188374
uva.nl/en/content/news/press-releases/2017/01/split-brain-does-not-lead-to-split-consciousness.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Its your brain malfunctining retard.

I actually studied this a little bit in my epistemology class. It's super strange. They report things like when they're trying to pick out an outfit and can't decide, one arm will just surprise them by grabbing something. The different sides of the brain can't communicate and I think our verbal thinking (the sort of inner monologue) is from one side so it isn't aware of stuff the other side deals with.

Just checked. Wernicke's area and Broca's area are both on the left side of the brain and those are our main speech areas.

It is sort of similar to two consciousnesses coexisting in the same body but I'm disinclined to call it that, as consciousness is pretty vague a concept. Plus, I think it's more like you're just not aware of what you're thinking.

It's a pretty good argument against the dualist notion of "consciousness" underlying the alleged hard problem since it shows how belief and reporting behavior aren't at all immediate and can totally be fucked with.

amazon.co.uk/Master-His-Emissary-Divided-Western/dp/0300188374

Confused language. You don't have a brain, you are a brain. And a split brain means there are two of you.

Good posts. The inner dialogue isn't to be conflated with thought itself. Awareness of experience has no direct access to knowledge of experience or of inner thought.

I don't get it. The hemispheres can't communicate, they're testing out processes that can be carried out by one hemisphere, so both hemispheres give out a different answer. How does that imply 'two separate spheres of consciousness'?

I often wonder if there are more "spheres of consciousness" in my brain than just me. Maybe the subconscious is actually also conscious, for example.

It's precisely because they can't communicate and arrive at independent answers that this conclusion can be reached. Or more specifically, this experiment shows that communication is truly gone, and therefore unity of personhood. When studies like that refer to questioning patients, they essentially refer to one of the hemispheres (the one that controls talking). Normal-brained people also have that hemisphere do the talking, but with the input from the other as well. The unifying consensus or hierarchy was lost, one became two.

Yeah, but those are relatively independent processes. Your post makes sense though, the corpus callosum is not the only connection between the two hemispheres, but we could ignore the other ones pretty much. So, this would mean those people have a separate consciousness that can do pretty much everything except speak? That's fucked up.

It's pretty grim, but I can't help but wonder what would happen if you did this procedure to a baby, before lateralization is final.

My favorite is how the left brain tries to have an explination for everything.

For example, flash an image of snow on their right and a shovel on the left (so the right brain which controls the left side of the body see a shovel while the left brain which controls the right side and has the speaking areas sees the snow) and afterwards they are shown a screen with a picture of a shovel, snow and other random stuff.

So if you ask the person what they saw they'll say snow and if you ask them to point at the picture of what they saw with their right hand they'll point to snow. But tell them to point with their left hand and they will point to the shovel. Ask them why and they'll say it's because you use a shovel to pick up snow.

Sometimes I wonder whether there are "other" conscious entities inside each of us. Maybe the subconscious it in itself a consciousness just like ours but we can't access it, but it can access itself

Maybe there's some other conscious mind inside all of us with no control of the body, and it's aware of it, and it constantly thinks "OMG when will this Hell END? When will this disgusting universe full of a lack of free will end?" not realizing that the dude controlling the body doesn't think this stuff, or that there even is some other dude in there

Just a thought

Source? That sounds very interesting.

Actually there's an answer to my question, can't believe I didn't know about fucking Rain Man.

>The missing structures of his brain have yet to be linked to his increased abilities, but they can be linked to his ability to read pages of a book in 8–10 seconds. He was able to split his vision so that each eye reads its corresponding page, allowing him to read both pages at once. He also had developed language areas in both hemispheres, something very uncommon in split-brain patients. Language is processed in areas of the temporal lobe, most commonly on the left side of the head, and involves a contralateral transfer of information before the brain can process what is being read. In Peek's case, there was no transfer ability—this is what led to his development of language centers in each hemisphere.
>He was able to memorize over 9,000 books, and information from approximately 15 subject areas.
>Despite these abilities, he had an IQ of 87, was not diagnosed as autistic, and was unable to button his shirt, and had difficulties performing everyday tasks.

Also there's some new research that directly shits on this experiment.
uva.nl/en/content/news/press-releases/2017/01/split-brain-does-not-lead-to-split-consciousness.html

No idea who fucked up but I guess we still have a long way to go.

Google "left brain interpreter".

Basically, your left hemisphere is constantly bullshitting a story of purpose, function and identity from the things it experiences. It's a weaver of lies, and this is the foundation of consciousness and personhood.

I wasn't conflating the two. It's already kind of been covered but I was suggesting that you can't communicate with the right side of the brain since it doesn't possess speech areas.

It's also interesting to consider what constitutes thinking if there is no speech area. Would it be similar to what runs through an animals head? I can't even fathom what sort of experience thinking without language ability would be like.

>It's a weaver of lies, and this is the foundation of consciousness and personhood.
^^^This exactly. I really wish "hard problem"-fags would understand how well known a phenomenon this is, that the driving force behind our reported "experiences" is a compulsive liar. There are lots of really good examples of this in cases of stroke and other forms of brain trauma where otherwise sane people will insist their arm isn't paralyzed when it is and when asked to move it they'll say they don't feel like it right now or that the arm the doctor is pointing to really belongs to the patient in the bed next to theirs. Dreams are another good example of this mechanism in action. If it weren't for this compulsive lying behavior, we'd all realize we were dreaming every time a dream started because they're almost always absurd and illogical in the plots they provide, but we don't realize it most of the time and instead go along with the laziest bullshit excuses like "oh, I thought my grandpa was dead but he's here now so I must've just confused that funeral with someone else's."

How do we stop the lies

That's not at all what the hard problem is about.

What a bunch of shallow nonsense.

I actually woke up many times because my dream was so absurd I suddenly realized it cannot possibly be real. Another notorious one is when in my dream I'm faced with a problem, and as you normally would you start actually thinking about it, or at least wish to, and there's this vague feeling of something powerful slowly starting to turn in my brain like a wheel starting to spin and bam, I'm awake.
Apparently you're not allowed to think, while sleeping.

I also have a story how after waking up once, for a couple of moments I was able to follow my thought patterns, because they were still so sluggish. I was wondering what time it was, because the light looked kinda evening-ish in my room, and for the life of my I couldn't remember when did I go to sleep. It just made no sense.

And me, the person, self, whatever you wanna call it, formed this desire. Then I could practically "feel" my brain reaching back, trying to access the time I went to sleep, but since it couldn't do that, it started using what was available to it: calculating how long must I had slept, if 1. I went to sleep at night 2. around noon, checking how tired I was, to compare to those numbers so it could assess which was the more likely scenario, calling up the events the day before, comparing the light beam to previous memories until a pattern emerged, out ruling possibilities, confirming certain ones, calculating, analyzing, slowly building evidence into a consensus when it came up with then answer: yeah it's the morning.
It took less then 1 second, if that, but somehow I was able to follow it all. Then the processes became too fast to follow, and everything was back to normal.

Whenever we come up with such simple replies, there's probably dozens of smaller calculations done behind the scenes. Our brains without doubt must have immense processing power.
No wonder a single conscious thought can interrupt our sleep.