Why do people hate math?

Why do people hate math?

Other urls found in this thread:

math.wisc.edu/~askey/ask-gian.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Dumb people hate Math because they can't do math, & failing in math make them feels dumb (actually they are really dumb, it isn't just feeling)

Fucking hell, I thought Alec Guinness was based.

It's easy to say that they're dumb, but being realistic that's not always the case. Math requires work and determination and a lot of young people simply don't care, they don't study it because they think it is boring what lead them to not understand it what then end in them failing it what makes them really hate it.
The pic is also really dumb, math is full of creative ideas, some great mathematicians were clearly really creative, the guy in the pic probably never tried to understand math what lead him to have this stupid perception of the subject.
He may even not be dumb, maybe he could understand and like math if he really tried, but that was clearly not the case.

>there are also brainlets who really aren't capable of understanding it.

Abstract no sense, lacks any social status, even people read self help or young adult novels gets more status over read math books.

Also, in the past it was common to intellectuals to study both humanities and math. A bunch of philosophers were also mathematicians and something like "math is not creative" would sound utter brainlet to them. The idea of intellectualism without mathematics is new and I think it's really detrimental to philosophy.

Yes, true. If you want to larp as an intellectual and virtue signale knowledge it's much easier to read some sociology or pop-sci.

>People who play pretend for millions
>based

Pleb

there is a reason why actors used to have the same social standing that prostitutes did

I have no clue why that autist in your pic got his fedora colors aparently wrong (it's black and white but still).

What about people with mathematichal minds?

People who have abstract thoughts, ideas, and discover the wonderful world of mathematics and make progress and keep going.

You play the guitar, I study math, we still work 2 cash registers from each other.

To some people, maths is conceptually beautiful, or at the very least solving maths problems is satisfying

To others, usually children at the time they're being introduced to it, it's tedious clerical work

That doesn't justify the poor reputation many people give to math as something "square" or that lacks passion or beauty. I know jack shit about music, but I'm not going to generalize what I learned in my shitty music classes as to something that represents what musicians do and what the process is all about. People are just butt frustrated that some people can takle this intellectual challenge with more ease.

>he thinks actors are valuable to society
pleb

tfw society thinks creative people are those that work in arts and crafts, like to make foto's for their instagram, vote hillary, are gender fluid, give their hair aposematic colouring, spend all their income by the end of the month on clothes and somehow think the clothes reflect on their identity,
\to the average self proclaimed creative person,
creativity is not the act of creation or ingenuity.
It is letting yourself drift away on your emotions without selfreflection.
simply to blindly act out what comes to you.
because if there is no reason that compelled you to do it, then it must be creative right?

The obvious falacy is that the reasons that cause your behaviour do not care about wheither you know of their existence or not.
creativity should be definable without regarding the perception of the artist.
all forms of "creativity" that rely on perception of the artist are no more than a form of mental mastrubation.

Hundreds of years in Future who will people remember?
Scientists like Isaac Newton & Albert Einstein
Or Actors like Tom Cruise & Scarlet Johansson?
>
Hundreds of years in Future who will people remember?
Thinkers like Plato & Kant?
Or Singers like Justin Bieber & Katy Perry?

Because, at least in the US, our math education is utter garbage dumbed down to try and pass as many Blacks and Mexicans as possible.

So many people in this country suck absolute dick at math in highschool and then go off to college and do fantastic. What changes? The way it's taught.

Read Lockhart's Lament.

this

Creative = works in shitty jobs making marketing products, but muh special sensible and unique person.

Even if someone hates math that OP quote is a really stupid thing to say.

im curious what this guinness guys idea of creativity is then if hes saying math is the least creative thing there is.

you see we modern western peoples have this curious understanding of creativity, of creative people, that there is "creating" going on. a movement from 0 -> 1. which is a stark contrast from previous ideas of art which is not art as creation but rather art as making. composing elements in such a way, but not creating the elements of or for composition. it seems modern man has taken god, the being historically associated with the responsibility of creasion, and replaced it with himself, no doubt for political reasons.

mathematics is a form of art, and a proper discussion on the efficacy of this particular art (for mathematicians are artisans) requires an agreement of the definition of math and a sort of dialectical process needs to be undergone (by the individual) to determine what exactly is math, what is math composed of, and what does math itself then compose. a general -> particular -> general sort of process.

but im not doing that for you, i can only show you the door etc.

to address the particular topic at hand, why do people hate math, which it could just be stated is false and that could be that. but lets look at perhaps why some people perhaps hate mathematics.

math is beautiful and people despise that collection of things that show them their true nature (beauty). pure mathematics can be a harrowing experience for the immature soul, and mathematics as it is currently taught in western education (avoiding proofs etc) is so completely detached from the beauty that is mathematics that it becomes despised for its apparent trivial nature, as some tedious chore to be done, an exercise in submitting to an authority, both the authority imposing a dry mathematical procedure and the authority of the mathematical process itself (obeying algebraic rules).

char max do your own thinking.

Most humans have shit brains.

>Math requires work
Yh for brainlets its like shitting to a high IQ person.

Sorry, I'm a brainlet mathematician. I still don't have the ability to absorb books with my mind, I still need to read them. Also I can't do computer simulations in my brain, I need the help of computers, yes...I know... brainlet stuff.

rofl

>2017
>not being able to derive the Wave Equation using PDE's by second grade

brainlet spotted

Nice, reddit.

Because unlike with most of the other academic subjects, you can't fake your way through it.

it has no subjective element, there is nothing human about it

This is the truth, it's totally a priori so i never study for exams and just work from the axioms

I hate math because if you fuck up any part of any rule, step, or property in mathematics, you get it wrong. It takes little more intelligence than a trained quail has in order complete mathematics. Its just the attention to detail involved that is annoying.

Why is objective inquiry any less human?

How so? All math is recyclables from people and laws that were previously discovered. Creativity is bound by similar code as math but there is one trait that math can never fulfill; the spark of inspiration that all creativity includes. If you are inspired as a painter, you go and paint the clouds using nothing more than the image in your head, or the methods you taught yourself to best demonstrate imagery. If you are a musician, you exchange one note for another until the piece in your mind is composed how you think it ought to be. That is not to say there are no rules for artists but each artist can have a similar thought and portray it in vastly different ways. There is none of this in mathematics. Math, regardless of the producer, relies on the basic laws in order to reveal unknown outcomes that coincide with the known mathematics language.

You have to be an autist to study math

There's literally no motivation to do it, its not even thought-provoking, you are just a logical machine, apply these logical axioms and see what happens, anyone can be rational.

"You're not thinking, you're just being rational" - Bohr

t. know arithmetic, not mathematics

well that's your answer for why people don't like math, they only know arithmetic and not higher level more interesting stuff

because i never paid attention to it when i was younger and now in my older years am fucked.

Guys can anyone help me find some books to relearn math ( algerba , geometry , trigo )

udacity has good math course you should take a look there, not book tho

Because it reveals to them how dumb they are.
> you're alone in front of the problem
> no one else to blame
> no politics narrative or bullshit of any kind
> you fail but you have proof it is still doable bc someone else is able to do it
> in spite of counntless years of cultural marxism you're confronting truth and you know it
> in spite of Tarski's theorem you know it is *truth*, just that you won't be able to define it mathematically
> math doesn't have any kind of mercy for beliefs, if they're true, OK , if not btfo

Will check it out thanks senpai ;)

bad experiences usually

Not enough people every get taught math intuitively, there mostly taught mechanically as a series of steps to follow.
Its like learning how to make music and never getting to play a song.

this. actors are cattle

This

This.
My analogy would be it's like weightlifting to build strength but not getting to play the sport.

Also maybe the teachers suck at math.
Article from 2001 about U.S. math education in early schooling.
Spoiler: the Asians teach it better

math.wisc.edu/~askey/ask-gian.pdf

In 2010 I had a calculus teacher in HS that described function application as multiplying.
I cringed seeing kids trying to distribute and divide by sin and cos.

Teacher didn't understand -> students didn't understand.

I agree. The amount of philosophers who have little to no mathematical knowledge is vastly disappointing, and it strains on the practice as a whole. It's one of the many reasons philosophy is (or was) losing traction academically.

I don't like it because the actual courses shift from "math" to "prove this random junk with words" once you get past diffyq. I don't need to know how a CNC machine was created and what principles it's based on to be able to operate it, and the same goes for math.

how does a brainlet actually understand math? i never really paid attention in math class as a teen

I dislike math because it extremely difficult to approach even on low levels. You have to learn the entire foundation beneath any given mathematical concept to grasp that concept. Not worth the time. Its the opposite of conceptual.

Alec Guinness, Actor: Star Wars.

The same can be said for any other subject. You aren't really understanding anything without a bottom-up approach with a solid understanding of the fundamentals. The problem here is that people mistake memorized knowledge in a subject for actual proficiency in that subject.

Math and music are potentially the easiest subjects in which one can attain proficiency because the foundational machinery for these subjects is most easily accessible (they are human constructs with human-controlled rules and axioms). Pretty much everything else is dependent on a solid understanding of the machinery underneath, which ultimately leads to shit like particle physics where axioms remain unclear and undiscovered.

Most people learn how math works not why it works. So they see it as pointless number crunching rather than a tool to explain problems in an elegant way.

Thanks, Teach!

>to complete mathematics
holy shit

or the "higher level more interesting stuff" is not actually more interesting

if you like it when you solve the puzzle and the patterns match up then great, most people aren't stimulated by this very much though.

arithmetic and mathematics are always presented as obstacles, not inquiry

Kys