Veeky Forums meets /out/

hey Veeky Forums, /out/ist here stuck indoors due to injury and wondering if you lot had any good recommendations that would keep my /out/. Am open to all suggestions, fiction, non-fiction, tales of treks, adventures, survival, and anything else.

here man

>my /out/
my MIND /out/. I should probably spend this time learning how to proof read...

if you want some early 20th century horror from an avid outdoorsman, check out Algernon Blackwood - The Willows and The Wendigo.

into the heart of borneo
black lamb grey falcon
Walden

I recommend Antal Szerb. A lot of his books mostly deal with travelers going to some country aimlessly and just taking in sights.

jules verne seems pretty /out/

Moby Dick is the most /out/ book I've ever read

i have the highest respect for /out/ists

mason & dixon - pynchon
walden - thoreau
john muir
shadow country - matthiessen
far tortuga - mattiessen
old man and the sea - hemingway
independent people - laxness
reveries of the solitary walker - rousseau
works and days - hesiod
georgics - virgil

might as well get some luddite philosophy in there as well

the technological society - ellul

Good gravy, I thought Veeky Forums was a slow board! Thanks for all your suggestions. I enjoyed Moby Dick, it wasn't what I expected though! Kim by Kipling is also an /out/ish book I throughy enjoyed. However, so far I think To God Unknown has been my favourite.

I'm going to start with some of the general books from this list.

can't see it in there but Charles Waterton should be on that list and if it's not, then OP should read him anyways

On the other hand I'm a bit different: I like to spend time outdoors reading meditative, plotless books about loser shut-ins.

A rebours, man, if you haven't got to it yet.

Okay, so I respect everyone else's opinion in this thread, but OP, I have exactly two suggestions for you, and I really do suggest that you start with them. Honestly, it's more like begging, because nothing has every really come close to them for me, and I'm willing to defend them to the last against anything posted here, even Walden and Muir

>Poetry
The Complete Works of Robinson Jeffers

>Prose
The Peregrine by J.A. Baker

Gary Snyder

A while back there were a lot of posts about a specific poet who mostly wrote about nature. I think he wrote from the 20th century on, but I could be wrong. I don't believe his name has been posted yet.

Likely Robinson Jeffers, mate

The Snow Leopard also by Peter Matthiessen. It's half about his obsession with Zen Buddhism and half about his hike through the Himalayas in search of the elusive snow leopard.

Good ones, user.
One of my favourites, indeed.

Post your /out/-worthy Veeky Forums pictures (or vice versa), gentlemen.

Pan by Knut Hamsun

>One of my favourites, indeed.
You might also like Bouvard et Pecuchet

The Tunnel.

I haven't read any Flaubert yet and I was going to start with his three tales, then probably Madame B. If this is similar to Huysmans maybe I'll start with it then.
Heard a lot about it but before I get to these pomo phonebooks I still have a lot of classics to cover.

Farley Mount writes some good outdoor adventure/noble savage stuff.
Check out People of the Deer

Growth of the Soil by hamsun

There were many books that I believed were good "at the time," but now there's not a one of them that I'd recommend as being especially insightful, meaningful or useful. However, some self-help books are good: as in Positive. And if you read even "one," you are more [emotionally] intelligent than approximately 99.9999% of the ~8 billion people on earth.