Why does /r/writing prompts make me so angry, and should the people posting there be allowed to live?

why does /r/writing prompts make me so angry, and should the people posting there be allowed to live?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/books/comments/5u0a88/have_you_ever_read_an_entire_book_and_once_you/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm not going to dare open that image, OP, and I can't understand why you'd inflict that on yourself either, but no, I have to agree they shouldn't.

haha epic, what a crazy idea

>319 comments

Holy..... I want more

Actually that would be a good idea. Youd had tp make it really dirty and sordid like the worst part of the beat generation or cortazar. Imagine reenacting Prisoner of azkaban like this. The scene where he submerges the dragon egg om water wpuld actually be Harry drowning a stolen child in the park at night. He also eould steal the kid from her mother/dragon,etc...

No it wouldn't.

Yes it would if done correctly.

You're not the only one. I understand that it probably helps with writing practice but I can't get over how imaginatively bankrupt it sounds. Like how difficult is it to construct that type of situation and then write it yourself?

I don't get the victors/Victors one

Victors as in the name Victor. History has been written by men named Victor.

Why are you there in the first place?

Why do you post it here? How do you think it reflects on you?

good questions that really gave me some perspective on life, brb contemplating

>if done correctly
Everything can be good if done correctly you dipshit, way to make an inane point.

I'm just paraphrasing here, but another Veeky Forumsizen explained that the reason /r/writingPrompts is so shitty is because it consists of "IN A WORLD WHERE _____ IS THE NORM" with the same bullshit hollywood twist every single time.

[WP]You're a twenty-something white dude with a remarkable gift for nothing. Attempt to reconcile your ambitious daydreams with the crushing logic of reality with sexy results.

Its not really prompts, more like plot notes already done for you

because you're openly a homosexual redditor

reported

There are some good ones occasionally but most are trash.

My favourite was this series where Rome survives into the modern era, it's author actually ended up publishing a novella about the idea. It was really well written.

There was also this story based around how earth's 'oceans' were huge forests that got deeper and deeper, and some Columbus-like figure was trekking across the Atlantic for the first time.

Two, if you count God

>Implying "Rome survives into the modern era" is anything interesting, new, or even REMOTELY plausible.
>Implying trees can grow to be 60,000 feet tall

>what is La Gloire de l'Empire

>reported
Do you still cry to your mommie too? Grow up sissy, you're pathetic: you can dish it out when you get frustrated--can't control yourself--but you can't take hearing what you need to end your denial. Good luck with...that.

[WP] What does sex feel like?

i'm sitting here blushing, you really put me in my place

It was actually about how a soldier survived in the chaos when it crumpled from within in the 20th century as he was ordered to do worse deeds before deserting.

As for the trees, they were only in the 100s of yards high, it was an interesting read is all.

If there is no oceans how is there life in the first place? Where is the water for things to survive?

Heavy downpours and sandy top soil similar to Australia?

>he hasn't seen Titus

You idiots make fun of these, but Veeky Forums has churned out various "books" with more ridiculous premisis and full of memes and the shitposting level is at an all time high. How do you live with your selves?

never criticize me again

Like putting your penis into a wet pie

Didn't a redditor write a full length book and get it up into the Amazon top 10 with that prompt?

That's better than anyone from Veeky Forums has ever managed.

Considering the number of published authors to come out of those reddit boards, maybe its time to consider what they might be doing right.

For now.

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the situation. Don't post until you smarten up. You need at least an 85 IQ to post here.

You sicken me. Tami Hoag is isn't impressive.

Please, pray tell, explain the misunderstanding.

Every time we have a writing critique thread, its ends up filled with Stephen King-esque monologues and dystopian scifi stories that everyone encourages because they enjoy ridiculous settings.

But of course its difference because we're only doing it ironically. Even though the results are identical.

Had to look up who that was. Turns out she has 22 million copies in circulation. She's also worth millions of dollars. Sounds like success to me, even if her writing is hot dogshit.

Becoming rich and famous from self published genre fiction is no more impressive than winning the lottery. Is it nice to win the lottery? Yes of course but nobody here dreams of writing the next Martian or Fifty Shades of Grey.

Reddit has memed a lot of stuff into existence just by the sheer numbers of virgin no-lives who post there.

Most accurate use of this meme

We're a much smaller collection of elitist virgin no-lives, that's true, but statistically speaking shouldn't we have at least one published author from this board?

The publishing industry is dominated by 80% white women, so the typical Veeky Forumsizen is probably repulsive to them considering what gets posted in the critique threads. It would be nice if someone from this place struck gold and wrote the next great classic but its a goddamned long shot. Literature in general is becoming a landscape of written screenplays and reddit is chasing the trend.

Let me finish my novel faggot

I don't think anyone here is capable of producing something that would receive any kind of acclaim because no one here wants to write schlock. What the average reader wants to read and what Veeky Forums wants to write might as well be polar fucking opposites.

This is such a stupid thing to say. There have been thousands of people to claim to have been published here. And everyone is anonymous, and people don't want to be associated in anyway with Veeky Forums.

>There have been thousands of people to claim to have been published here.

And how many of them write Veeky Forums approved work vs reddit-tier fantasies? Publication requires selling out to an extent. The anons who got published would be the ones who rejected the board culture and went for mainstream/leftist fluff. Though I'm not sure I believe anything anyone claims on the anonymous internet without proof.

>everything is bad if done badly

Really gets my nogging jogging.

pls stop

They're just having fun, man. It doesn't affect you, so fuck off.

>should the people posting there be allowed to live?
no

CRASH! We decided to adopt mom.

OP's just having fun. It doesn't affect you, so fuck off.
Boy, you sound like a fucking moron, don't you?

I could say the same to you, fucking moron.

you're not wrong to say that there's something wrong with society and the way people consume media in the general public; but implying that you have to be a sellout to be successful is an obvious rationalization of someone who is not successful.
"I was born in the wrong generation" Veeky Forums edition
Just because the richest music artists commercially are not genius musicians typically doesn't mean there aren't good, successful artists out there. It is more likely the claim of someone whose own taste is too shallow to be constituted by an honest effort at finding or creating value than a rational critique of the music industry.
It might be reasonable to say that our society makes it too difficult to be a successful artist whilst being genuine but that is merely because our economy can't support a bunch of edgy kids who aren't willing to do real work.
Just because it is difficult to succeed with your shitty dream doesn't mean it's impossible. It probably just means you lack the talent, drive, creativity, or realism to make it as an independent thinker. It is hard but it sounds like it is your choice, so stop being a bitch.
You're not gonna be smarter for having made fun of casual readers on Reddit... you're just a jaded, bitter pseud who assumes he can't make it because the system is flawed. dime a dozen

You really couldn't. You're doing the same thing OP is doing and saying it's bad.
I'm just saying you're dumb.

>Success = money
You can always count on reddit fags to provide new lows. Also it's painfully obvious that you're new

The genie one is a neat idea, but the rest are just like anything else on popular reddit boards: pop culture and vapid understanding of current events regurgitated into non-committal attempts at being an original person.

Weirdly I think reddit posters are much more anonymous than Veeky Forums's Anonymous. Usernames that don't mean anything thing, every poster can be interchanged with any other. Copy-pasted people.

>every poster can be interchanged with any other. Copy-pasted people.
whoa...

good post

>pop culture and vapid understanding of current events regurgitated into non-committal attempts at being an original person

bro this is 90% of Americans, especially when they're young

nice projection

A huge shitload of normies. What's new?

Why are they so obsessed with Harry Potter? Is it like infinite jest for redditors?

reddit.com/r/books/comments/5u0a88/have_you_ever_read_an_entire_book_and_once_you/

I wanted to post this the other day but I didn't want to make a thread.
Imagine "not getting", like, basic bitch genre fiction.

If you post on some of the smaller subs you start to recognize people by their usernames. Not that I would know haha.

What if you're trying to write bad literature?

>see some SJW bullshit poster
>check history
>squared circle
>hiphopheads
>
>writing prompts

err time

I actually like this....

I'd love to write some shitty YA book make 6 million shekels.off it and then sell it to the worst studio possible, disown it and call its fans plebs and fools. I'd rather do that than write some masterpiece.

right hehe xd

For my mental health I have to believe all of those replies are ironic Veeky Forums crossposters.

The average redditor has a child's brain. Hunger games and Harry potter is the literal pinnacle of literary prowess.

>There was also this story based around how earth's 'oceans' were huge forests that got deeper and deeper
I used this idea for my graduating project. Except I changed it that there was this strange forest world, which only had one entrance in the appalachian mountains.
It was a journal of a crazy scientist who insisted it was real, and in the end, he couldn't get funding, so he hired some trappers, a farmer and his son and then this girl demanded to be taken along.
In the end, the scientist goes crazy and dies, and the farmer's son and the girl get married and live with savages.
I hated how it turned out.
I got an a+

How is "I like your style. I want to read more." considered "feedback"?

>we're only doing it ironically
stopped reading there

Then why complain about these prompts?

That's potentially lewd

How long until people realize reddit is literally composed of children and old people?

Dude, epic!

The second one could be interesting if you remove the genie

[WP] Nietzsche was controlled opposition

Kek

>people posting screenshots from reddit
>it's somehow okay

Why don't you all fuck off back there

>posting screenshots from a public site
Yeah man, totally evil people, how can anyone post information about the invatation-only community that is Reddit

I don't mind writing prompts in general. If you want to actually practice writing like painters practice their craft you sometimes need to pick a subject to challenge yourself rather than because it has particular artistic merit and is important to you personally.

That being said I never look at any of these because they post absolute garbage.

Reddit is one of the most popular websites in America. How can there possibly be so many corny human beings?

You have to go back.

>my diary desu

>That's freakin' awesome, oh wow!

Redditors unironically think baseless, nonspecific compliments are "feedback." They have no idea how to cope with disagreement, constructive or otherwise.

Go back where?

Holy.....I want more....

>in America
>so many corny
Yeah real mystery