How the fuck are people not good at math?

How the fuck are people not good at math?

Its literally just following instructions. You do this then you do this then you do this then you have the answer.

The only time I get a question wrong on a math test is due to an arithmatic error.

Whenever I hear someone say " I dont understand how to do this" I cringe. The professor just literally told you how to do it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=599igc5iyyQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm so bad at maths, I will rewrite math notation out into verbalized text and cross reference any confusing operators with more verbal definitions until I can understand it.

I get words. I don't "get" math like other people do and have to compensate.

>taking math tests that require arithmet
Brainlet detected

Well, it's not trivial. For example, how do you start to solve oscillator equation?

I went from being an A+ math student to a C student once questions were more about showing your work more than the actual fucking answer.

Laziness and the byproduct of a cancerous society. It is not cool to think, therefore no one wants to think. And if you don't think you can't do the math. People unironically try to bullshit their math tests like they can bullshit literature, music and other brainlet subjects. I have graded a couple of tests at the school level and believe me, that is what happens. Kids write a bunch of bullshit they don't understand and call it a solution, like you would write a bunch of bullshit about how "The author said blue in the sense that in the socio-economic historical context blue signified the great depression of the 20s but at the same making contrast with the powerful and energetic blues music genre. It is truly a beautiful sentiment that the author expresses with so few words" in a literature test. It literally means nothing and is 100% retarded but if they get an A for random bullshit in literature they think they can also do the same for math and science, then it backfires on them and then they resent the subject.

Don't a fucking faggot. The math that gets taught in undergrad classrooms and below is all 100% solved math.

>Rewrite math notation out into verbalized text.
Disgusting Brainlet.

Yes I'm aware. I'm never going to be one of the greats like this. Natural aptitude in math translates directly to success.

people become disengaged because the maths they are taught at school revolves around boring instruction following and box ticking instead of revolving around actual maths stuff like problem solving. it's the same reason people who are good at maths in high school are often shit at it at uni because they lack problem solving skills

I'm a junior math student at uni making all As, and im considering tutoring for money. Except I don't have the patience to deal with people who don't get math. Thinking I could just make my lesson plans by memorizing Khan academy videos and pretending I'm Salman himself?? Don't know how to teach brainlets

math must be fucking ez whereever you are

So right around junior high then, user?

Maths is easy once you understand
sometimes an explanation doesn't connect the dots correctly for everyone

Most of my mistakes in maths are getting things mixed up, or forgetting to do something

If i could stop being such a brainlet in terms of memory I'd be better at maths

Sorry to be too harsh.
But math use symbols to save paper (or screen) space.
Thinking
(1) X & Y as "Apples & Bananas"
(2) Derivative as "Slope" or "Change rate"
(3) Integral by "Area under the Curve"
in our mind is OK for beginners, but write it every time is silly & foolish

yeah fuck those people who didnt grasp a concept the very first time they are exposed to it, fucking kys you brainlet that kind of thinking is everything that is wrong with education in maths

ps you are an engineer if all you do is follow instructions

I think this is the most difficult part desu. It's all of the symbols. I usually suck at something new until I'm comfortable with the shorthand.

Best way I can explain it is repeated immersion in a foreign language to finally be comfortable with the syntax and vocab.

roasted

Idk man we don't really do a good job teaching so it's left up to the kids intuition. Some kids will say 2-1=2 because they count up from one but they include one. No amount of teaching can help someone like that. Even once they get into high school they still might not get it and even if they do you can blow their minds by saying there's only one year between two superbowls, "so all our math is like totally wrong?" Yes Lindsey all our math is totally wrong lol

>Don't a fucking faggot. The math that gets taught in undergrad classrooms and below is all 100% solved math.

"I memorized everything in my math class then dropped out when I needed to actually solve stuff."

It can be difficult remembering what kind of instructions to use.

youve unlocked the truth OP, there is nothing difficult, only elaborate

integrate sqrt(tan(x))

>Its literally just following instructions.

No it's not, and you're probably bad at math if you think that.

I think most people know the "base instructions" but they don't know how to put them together to reach the answer.

an integral is an instruction

It's the good thing to do according to the book "How to Think Like a Mathematician - A Companion to Undergraduate Mathematics" and according to me: user'.
That book is praised and on the Cambridge reading list for math student.

May be YOU are the brainlet.

[i]We have a habit in writing articles published in scientific journals to make the work as finished as possible, to cover up all the tracks, to not worry about the blind alleys or describe how you had the wrong idea first, and so on.[/i]

Richard Feynman, Nobel Lecture, 1966

we should just euthanize everyone unable to understand at least calculus

>low test
>low iq

weeew

High schooler detected lol

People view it too abstractly, like x=b=c=bla bla bla bla, it is difficult to figure out how to make it "click" and help them connect it to their spatial intelligence or innate capacity for language or whatever. Most teachers don't give a fuck, they just dish out tons of work to students and try to get them to brute force their way through. If they do try to develop their understanding they usually do it in a very fruity hamfisted way that rarely works.

I always struggled with math because I could never pay attention.
Once I understood calculus every time I got a question correct I'd get a little hard on.

The term "brainlet" is used a lot as a joke but for real if you can't understand calculus you are unironically a brainlet. The amount of people who struggle with algebra let alone calculus fills me with despair.

>The amount of people who struggle with algebra let alone calculus fills me with despair.
I already lost hope in the portion of humanity that can't do algebra.
>we should just genocide everyone unable to understand at least calculus
Ironically Hitler, Stalin & Mao did not know Calculus.

Example of the man who is good at math.
youtube.com/watch?v=599igc5iyyQ

that isn't math that's number bullshit

try doing proofs with letters bitch

Some sort of learning difficulty here. Simple instructions can easily become unclear. Arithmetic is very straightforward. Learning "weird" rules like implication or trigonometry is hard. It's like I have dyslexia for logical relations.

I think this is a dangerous thread. Most of the discussion on Veeky Forums is pretty good. Honest questions and answers with some exceptions like "which college did you go to I went to harvard". This thread reminds of every single thread on /g/.

> what kind of faggot doesn't compile their own kernel?
> if you don't already know everything about C kill yourself.
> you use X? It's obviously a botnet. You only don't have a botnet if you use TempleOS.

It's people memorizing some buzzwords and then screaming at anyone who doesn't know the same. What a shitty board.

I like how on this board even if the question is stupid it will be given an honest answer. Fuck you OP.

Some times

But when you are actually doing math to be creative or prove something unproved, it requires you to skip steps

you have to think of a hypothesis based on intuition because it might be true or could be interesting

>engineer
>all you do is follow instructions
What the balls is wrong with this board

Brainlets that failed to get into college, so all they do is insult engineers all day.

>expand this equation one of unaccountably many ways
>use this trig identity that makes the equation even more fucked
>take the integral which is not directly solvable, then a partial derivative.
>make the equation even more fucked with even more obscure identities
>simplify
Its elementary.

>engineer
>all you do is follow instructions.
Perhaps in USA, but not in Europe where engineers study Analysis (Calculus with proofs)
t. Burger education.

You're doing cookbook algorithms and computation, not math. Proving theorems is math.

You mean learning the axioms, rules of derivation and proving strategies, and then applying those is different from what OP described?

I dont even understand the symbols because im a retard, I love that math can be used to describe the natural world, the math itself is lost on me, my math education level is very basic, never done calculus or algerbra or any of the other big words, wouldnt even know where to get started on something like that.

>you can blow their minds by saying there's only one year between two superbowls
do you have any examples

>It's all solved math.
So you're only good at solved math? Meaning you can't solve shit on your own unless someone spoonfeeds you the exact formula to plug your numbers into? Don't make me laugh. You're not good at math, you're good at memorizing and following instructions. A bean counter. That's what you are.
You can't say you're good at math until you've come up with, and proved, your own theorem. It doesn't have to get published. It doesn't have to be cutting-edge. It just has to be a statement that you thought of, but weren't sure was true, and then proved or disproved. Try it, it's fun. It's like coming up with your own puzzle, and then solving it yourself, with nothing but a pencil, a paper, and your head.

That explains why so many right wing peope are scientists. They love to obey rules.

OP still does math that follows instructions
top kek