Aug 21, 2017

The 2017 "Great American" Solar Eclipse
The sticky

What is the solar eclipse? On August 21, in just a few days, the continental United States will experience its first total eclipse of the sun since 1979, and the first to cross from west to east coast since 1919. Please keep all discussion of this event to this thread, and share with us where you'll be viewing this amazing and rare spectacle of nature and what you'll be doing to commemorate this time. The next total eclipse to hit the U.S.A. will not be until 2024.

Totality: To view the full eclipse, you must be in the path of totality. This is the narrow, 70-mile wide path where the umbra (the darkest shadow of the moon) passes through. If you are not within the path of totality, you will miss the amazing spectacle that everyone the world over is coming to see. Do not be fooled by people who say 80% or 90% or even 99.99% partial eclipse is good enough. It's not. Even 99% obscuration is not enough to fully cover the sun in the same way that 100% can, and you will walk away feeling let down. See the resources below for maps of totality.

Traffic: Expect nightmare-ish traffic conditions as you get closer to and especially within the path of totality. Even in the middle of nowhere like Wyoming, traffic could be gridlocked for hours or even days on end. The state of Oregon is equating the situation to a natural disaster, with many rural as well as city roads at a total standstill. Gas stations may run out of fuel. If you are trying to get to the largest cities such as Salem, Nashville, or Columbia, you should depart wherever you're coming from by Sunday morning at the latest.

Lodging: Sold out everywhere. If you hadn't booked 6 months ago, you're out of luck.

Major cities within the path:

Salem, OR
Idaho Falls, ID
Jackson, WY
Lincoln, NE
Kansas City, KS
Columbia, MO
Carbondale, IL
Nashville, TN
Charleston, SC

Resources:

Live stream (Aug. 21)
Overall useful info site
Eclipse 101 by NASA
High quality solar viewing glasses — possibly sold out or too late to order, but many shops and events within the path of totality will be handing out glasses for free
Comprehensive list of viewing events
Google map showing the full path of totality and relevant details
Informative article
Informative write-up debunking various myths and misconceptions about a total eclipse

Watch this video:

And this one, which gives you an idea of just how spectacular the total eclipse can be:

Other urls found in this thread:

earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/august-21-2017-solar-eclipse-4-planets-bright-stars
nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/chasing-the-total-solar-eclipse-from-nasa-s-wb-57f-jets
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Since the dawn of time man has yearned to destroy the sun.

>They took away the Vox video

Shit man now that is what I call a bold move. Good on you man. But when the (((other guy))) founds out you deleted his thread you will probably get your modding privileges revoked. But let it be known that you are a cool guy.

i will be boofing moxy, possibly i will make the 4 hour drive to the edge of mark twain.
but i will probably just walk up in the hills with 90% totality and see observe what the critters do.
think ill go to one of my squats and observe for a couple of days before
not sure what putting a psychedelic triptamine up my asshole will do to my field biology skills, thats part of the fun.

why would you sticky this of all things?

Will welder's goggles be sufficient?

Yes, with shade # 12 or higher. Shade 13 is ideal but difficult to find.

It's times like this where I wish I was located in the US.

Because otherwise we'd be hip deep in eclipse threads by Monday.

Google "projecting eclipse with binoculars" or "pinhole camera eclipse" for another way to view before totality. hen total, you can look at the coronal display directly.

Great... It's only hitting "literally who" fly-over states. Such a shame.

How much will I be able to catch in NYC? Seems like a bummer.

Times like this I wish my mother wasn't dependent on me so I can go see it.

>see mod sticky on Veeky Forums
>it's about the fucking solar eclipse

I mean, I get it it's a pretty cool thing, but is this really the only time you people remember our board exists?

anyway, you should add a list of countries that will have vision of the partial eclipse to the OP, since I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere else than wikipedia and some people may be unaware that they'll be able to see it too

There's gonna be a lot of solar eclipse discussion in the coming days. Why not have a sticky?

I'm not mad about the thread for the eclipse, I'm mad that it's the first sticky we've had in years (probably since 2013) and that they only seem to remember we exist to discuss their IFLScience-tier event

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting

just a reminder, if you live in these cities that there will be a huge influx of people. Remember to keep extra water in your car, as you may be stuck in traffic for hours. Your city may run out of basic necessities like food. You should be prepared for eclipse induced cannibalism. Residents are also encouraged to keep at least 10 days worth of ammunition in the event of attack by lizard men or the emergence of lovecraftian horrors.

>a fucking solar eclipse
>ifl-tier
Step away from the computer. Take a deep breath. And go outside for a few minutes you contrarian faggot.

>ammunition
>against Eldrich horrors
lol

Does anyone else find it strange that the moon and the sun are of just the right sizes and are at just the right distances away so that the moon can eclipse the sun in totality?

Please tell me there's a better reasoning behind this beyond pure coincidence before I go off the deep end.

IF YOU BELIEVE

>Does anyone else find it strange that the moon and the sun are of just the right sizes and are at just the right distances away so that the moon can eclipse the sun in totality?
They aren't, generally. You do realize the distance between the Earth, moon, and sun varies all the time right? And the rare instance in which they are certain distances apart is called a solar eclipse.

Here you go...

And, because why not, you can go ahead and get ready for the next "once in a lifetime" eclipse in the US.

Well, no. That's not what I mean.

The Sun's distance from Earth is about 400 times the Moon's distance, and the Sun's diameter is about 400 times the Moon's diameter.

I'm not making any conclusions or anything. It's just interesting.

75% totality in nyc is still worth watching no?

But that's, you know, wrong.

An eclipse happens when they line up.

If the Earth is between the Sun and the Moon, you get a lunar eclipse. Which can only happen at the full moon, but does not happen every full mom because the Moon's orbit is not on the exact same plane as the Earth's orbit.

If the Moon is between the Sun and the Earth, you get a solar eclipse. These can be partial, if the Moon only blocks a part of the Sun as seen from Earth, or Total, if the Moon blocks the whole solar disk. You also get annular eclipses when the Moon is in the furthest part of it's orbit and so is too small, visually, to block the whole disk of the sun -- it leaves a ring of sunlight all around the Moon, and you can't se the corona.

It'll be noticeable, yes. Look into the binoculars hack mentioned in Also, if you are in an area where you can see sunlight dappled through the leaves of a tree, you get a cool effect when the gaps between leaves creates a bunch of little pinhole-cameras, and projects a bunch of crescent sun images on the ground.

I saw the one in '79, will be in place to see this one if the "chance of afternoon thunderstorms" doesn't take us out.

>But that's, you know, wrong.
>An eclipse happens when they line up.
And what did I say that contradicts that, moron?

fuck me I wanna see this shit, next one is in 48 years

The next total eclipse to hit the U.S. will be in 2024.

>Traffic: Expect nightmare-ish traffic conditions as you get closer to and especially within the path of totality.
is this just an alarmist description or may this actually occur?
i'm halfway through planning to road-trip to TN with some friends but i don't want this level of annoyance

>The Sun's distance from Earth is about 400 times the Moon's distance
This distance changes every day.

>An eclipse happens when they line up.
A total eclipse only happens when they line up AND are the correct distances from each other.

This, see

oh shit nigger I was wrong
Good. If I miss this one I can see the next one.

You said "the rare instances when they are a certain distance apart is called a solar eclipse."

This is incorrect.

It's when the line up that makes an eclipse, when they line up in the right order that you get a solar eclipse. You could then add that when they line up, in the correct order and then are the right distance apart, you get a total solar eclipse.

But without the alignment, the distance will never be right to make a solar (or lunar) eclipse.

But not by lots, compared to the overall distances involved. The Moon and the Sun are, more or less, the same size as seen in the sky

Because the relative distances change just enough, you do get annular eclipses, which are interesting but not as interesting as total solar eclipses, since you don't get the coronal display.

The fact that, at this moment in cosmic time, they are the correct distance apart for their size that we get some total solar eclipses, and the Moon can sometimes pass completely into Earth's umbra. the darker part of the shadow.

>It's when the line up that makes an eclipse
Again, how is lining up mutually exclusive with being the correct distance apart? You do realize that the distances between three points determines their relative positions, right?

Not all of us are young babies.

Get off of Veeky Forums and into your grave, grandpa

How else are you going to kill yourself quickly and easily?

XD

What other threads/events do you think deserved a sticky here?
Ill wait.

Bostin in ebin dredd :D

>tfw booked have a room booked in St. Joseph

Not him, but "gender is in a spectrum" deserved a sticky, just to contain the shitposting if for no other reason

why is Vox bad?

((()))

No you misunderstand, the ammunition is for shooting other people so they get consumed by Eldritch horrors, while you run away.

Who gives a shit about watching eclipses? It has nothing to do with science or math. Unsticky this garbage thread

>tfw will be in Alaska next week
could not be farther from the eclipse

Live in metro Atlanta; trying to figure out if I should head north to Cleveland, TN or northeast to Greenville, SC.

You could be antipodal to the eclipse

Bros, I have my shitty telescope ready with aluminum foil over the pens and a pinhole punched in it

I'm guessing it'll be like the 4th of July fireworks displays they do in my city. A bunch of people across the river in the next county park their cars on the side of the highway and watch the fireworks and then get back in their cars and try to get back onto the highway. Always a mess. I kinda doubt there will be people stuck "for days" in traffic though. There'll probably be some morons trying to look at it whilst driving and will kill themselves and others in some fiery crashes as well.

moved to Columbia MO for school two weeks ago. didn't even know about the eclipse when I decided to go.
feels goodman.

InnerSS map: this shows a zoom on the inner solar system, and the solid lines show ten-day tracks for each of the bodies.

During totality you get to see the inner solar system in its entirety for just a brief moment. Here's a star chart so you can familiarize yourself with the eclipsed sky and prepare where to look for what so you don't fumble in stupid awe at the time.
In Idaho (where I'll be) the Sun will be SE by E. Facing that direction:
Mercury will be just below the eclipse, and
Mars will be just above the eclipse (if it's not too dim to see, does it look orange?), and
Venus higher up, above Mars.
Not sure if you'll see Regulus (a bright star), but here's an interesting note: a very similar eclipse configuration in 1914 seen from Crimea allowed astronomers to measure the offset of Regulus's position, thus confirming a prediction of relativity's model that there's a bending of space by gravity (the Sun's gravity in this case).
Jupiter may be just rising. It's very bright, and may very well be visible at eclipse. We are moving away from it.

Relative to the Sun, Mercury is moving upwards and will pass to the right of the Sun (inferior conjunction on the 26th). If it passed in front of the Sun, we'd have a "transit of Mercury."
Mars is moving upward as we catch up to it on the inside track. We lap Mars (opposition) is a year away. On the map, it shows Mars moving down. It really is, but more slowly than the Sun. So it is increasing separation and is why I said "up" earlier.
Venus is decently far from the Sun, but is closing in on it - greatest western elongation was over a month ago. It is moving away from us and down on its way to the far side of the Sun in January (superior conjunction).
The winter hexagon will be high up in the southwest, so look for lots of bright stars. Sirius is the brightest star (next to the Sun) in the sky. It'll be about halfway up the sky just right of south.

Things to look for and monitor as totality approaches:
Will you see the shadow approach from the west, and/or disappear to the east?
If it's hazy or cloudy, can you see the shadow on the clouds?
Listen - does it get quiet (except for others around you whooping it up)?
During totality, you can look directly at the Sun's corona without dark glasses. Hold your hand/fist up at arm's length so you can quantify the size and remember in the future.
How much of the sky reveals stars? Do yu see any? Too many to count?
Do you see the band of lit sky all around you?

EclipseMap: rotate the map so the direction you face is at the bottom. The center is straight up. As you turn to look another direction, rotate the map. The dashed line is the ecliptic - the path of the Sun among the stars (AKA the orbital plane of the Earth).

Is it possible for an eclipse to be so big that the sun gets sucked in?

>tfw you live in europe

>missing first two days of classes to see the eclipse in Wyoming with my family

ehh I'll just miss the handing out of the syllabuses so whatever

there's a possibility of a massive earthquake?

What if the Yellowstone Caldera erupts during the eclipse?

To all you morons asking "how does i view solar eclipse safely???". Just take your phone, open the camera, block the sun with your phone, and observe the eclipse via the screen. You will get a better view than the morons using dark glasses, and you have the added bonus of being able to record and watch at the same time.

That'd be some epic ass apocalyptic type shit right there

I'd rather get a welding helmet lens.

toasting in epic bread

This, fuck all the people who are going to get together and enjoy this, i'm just gonna chill home alone and probably completely forget it's happening UNTIL I TURN INTO A WEREWOLF awooooo

I'd go to Cleveland. The other two seem sketchy on the weather.

I'll be driving to Casper, Wyoming unless weather turns for the worse.
I'm actually curious and a bit excited about the crowds. I'm planning tons of extra time and bringing lots of supplies.

It's good fun but the OP is overselling the event's tourism attractiveness and overall cosmic importance for some reason.

Hello old one, tell us your stories plx

>Welding helmet lens

This guy knows what's up.

Nasa recommends shade 14 lenses or higher, which by now will likely be sold out across North America.

Luckily, you can stack multiple lenses and add their shade values together; you just need to subtract 1 shade from the resulting shade value.

So two layers of shade 8 lenses would be
[math](8 + 8) - 1 = Shade 15[/math]

Since this is Veeky Forums, I have to ask: where this -1 comes from?

>tfw in Arizona, fuck my life.

Imagine all the people who will be having sex after seeing the eclipse.

Really gets the feels flowing.

Things like CRISPR, Nobel prizes,
EM drive, supposed Dyson sphere...
All the overdone temporary memes, for
containment, and things that deserved
more attention.
Maybe an IQ, frog and gorilla sticky?

I could explain it to you again, but I can't understand it for you.

Nice.

Here's another image that may be helpful.

earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/august-21-2017-solar-eclipse-4-planets-bright-stars

shit thread, swaglord

There is always the possibility of a massive earthquake.

>OP is overselling the event's tourism attractiveness

Depends on where along the track you are.

Lots of folks are expected to head for Oregon to catch the earliest glimpse of the eclipse, and California is populous and relatively close. Based on hotel and campsite reservations, some small towns along the route are expecting their population to triple for the day, and these are towns with one gas station, bad cell phone coverage and maybe a diner to get a meal. Add some shitty roadfs, in you'll get some interesting times there.

Other spots along the route are more remote from population centers, or are in towns with better infrastructure, where it won;t be such an issue..

Well, first he Earth cooled, and then there were dinosaurs...

But seeing the eclipse was pretty neat. We drove with another family into South Carolina with a 2 1/2 inch refractor telescope that had a solar projection screen, and set up along the path of totality out in the middle of freaking nowhere. We watched the disk of the sun getting blocked out by the moon, and as totality approached and it started to get noticeably dark, the birds started roosting, cows headed for the barn, roosters began to crow...

Seeing the corona blazing around the edges of the moon was amazing, and we saw "Bailey's Beads," where flecks of sunlight shine through passes of mountain ranges along the edge of the lunar disk.

Pictures I took with a small Instamatic camera were disappointing, of course, and just showed a tiny ring in the middle of a black field. I hope to better this time... headed back to SC, as it turns out.

what are you talking about? einstein's theories were verified with the aid of scientists waiting for eclipses.

there were some scientists who went to russia and were arrested as spies because they went to do research during a total eclipse

fuck you mean this isn't science you dumbass fuck?

pic related: my captcha aka you

And here's some science-related stuff going on during the upcoming eclipse.

nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/chasing-the-total-solar-eclipse-from-nasa-s-wb-57f-jets

>Crowd standing on a cloudy beach cheering the eclipse.
>People across Britain listening to the eclipse on the radio

Now the list of things I have seen contains everything.

I really look forward to you explaining how the distances between three points does not determine a unique triangle. i.e. if three points A,B,C along a line have distances a,b,c from each other, there is not some other configuration of the points with the same respective distances a,b,c between them which does not lie along a line.

Ahiwhile I'm waiting, I'll provide a proof of what you must disprove. If A,B,C lie along a line in that order, let us call a the distance between A and B, b the distance between B and C, and c, the distance between A and C.

Then c = a + b since they lie along a line

By the Triangle Inequality, we know that a triangle cannot be created with sides a+b less than or equal to c. Thus any points with c = a+b must lie along a line or not exist at all. QED.

>CRISPR, EM Drive, Dyson Sphere

>tfw living in salem

fucking KEEP OUT OF MY CITY REEEE

What did he mean by this?

fuck that. the only thread that maybe should also be stickied is the fall classes one.

or maybe a sticky consciousness thread that drops you in /trash/ after you try to post in it

Use your words like a big boy.

I think at this point the mods would do as well to prune all the shit out of this thread, lock it, and leave the posts that give some info on eclipses and how to watch them for the off-worlders to read when they come here looking for advice on how to look at an eclipse. as well

Where to find free glasses in the UK?

Are there even free glasses offered anywhere
I'm just going to look at it through pinhole in aluminum foil in front of my telescope with a camera on the end