What's going on here?

What's going on here?
I would expect it to be the opposite result.
With no sword people would choose fighting the wolf right? Is having a sword really going to help much vs a bear or are are most people just overrating it?

Other urls found in this thread:

hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674047822
bestiary.ca/beasts/beast171.htm
penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/gladiators/bestiarii.html
quora.com/Animal-Behavior-Would-a-lone-adult-wolf-be-able-to-take-down-an-unarmed-athletic-adult-human
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

A sword would not stop a bear from killing you. At best you'd both die. A wolf, if you're lucky, you can jam your arm in his throat and pretty much disable him and survive.

A sharp sword wielded by someone that knows what they're doing could easily disable a bear.

Unfortunately, most people these days do not have sword fighting experience.

A wolf would definitely be easier to fight. Those fuckers are like 80-90 Ibs, all you'd need to do is avoid the bites and get head control.

My guess:
You're more likely to remain completely unscathed if you use a sword against a bear. You're more likely to survive if you use your hands against a wolf.

Wolf: Living with one arm or dying.
Bear: Living with both arms or dying.

You're going to die against either though, so it doesn't matter what you choose.

Normies don't think about probability. They also probably think they know how to use a sword because of movies and shit too. Nobody is dumb enough, except this guy, to think they could fight a wolf with their bare hands and live. Plenty of people are dumb enough to think they could fight off a bear with a sword.

There are some issues with that:
A wolf will bight your hand once it gets near it's mouth and it won't be going in our out.
Suppose you do jam your arm in his throat, he chomps on your arm and you start bleeding to death.

Yeah bro, you'd have such an easy time just avoiding the bites.

Bears are easily deceived, you have a bigger chance of escaping a bear attack if you fake a suicide with the sword and stay still on the ground, he would think you're dead and leave.

You're not going to fell a bear that weights 450Kg with a sword but you may get the better of a wolf that weights 20Kg with your bare hands

wtf is a Kg

It can't, if you watched game of thrones, there was a scene where 2 talented swordsman tried to take on a bear and failed miserably.

Kilograms, dumb fuck

Heavy injure arm, but suffocate wolf or break skull with stone.

Bear,sword are made to kill human, even if you are sword master you are fucked.

so i was right and people just love the thought of chopping the head off a bear i guess

Kilograms. It's a unit of measurement of mass. Most of the world uses it.

The sword gives them the illusion of a fighting chance against a bear over fighting a wolf with only hands without realizing the sword is only as good as their ability to use it. If they can't use it well, they won't learn before the bear disfigures them beyond fighting condition. At best, they'll get a good cut or two in.

Against a wolf, something probably smaller than the human answering the question, they're more afraid of not having weapons than realizing they can use their size and a wolf's inability to stand on its hind legs to their advantage. With at least some knowledge of weak points and decent reactions to the wolf's attacks, it's an easier time submitting the wolf or killing it if necessary.

A giant, clumsy knife isn't going to help most people who would prefer to take on a beast many survival experts recommend trying to escape from.

the wolf will avoid your arms and go for your throat, and can easily knock you down by running at you. canines are extremely agile compared to us, so unless you hail mary the wolf and immobilize it you would probably lose

Yeah I'd go for the wolf.

0% chance of survival against a bear, sword or not.

Maybe 1% chance with the wolf.

Well what kind of sword? If it's a zweihander so something similar you can brace it against the ground and the bear will impale himself when he charges.

Also if you brought down a sword like that full force on a bears head, I think he'll probably fuck off if he's not defending his eggs.

I think people have a fantasy of cutting the bear's head off with a single stroke or something.

Even with a gun, you might lose to a bear if it's close enough. You would have close to 0% with a sword.

With a wolf, at least there are weak points (eyes, neck) that you have a chance of reaching. Your chances are low, but still higher than with the bear.

>not fighting the bare with your bear hands

Real world sword are very weak.
Spears and shield like Romans or Spartans are way better.

If it's an Estoc, which is a thrusting sword, you would have a good chance of killing it. I'd rather have an axe personally, one good swing and you'd crack its skull.

>t. /k/ommando and physicist

pls be jok

It depends on the bear... You can take on a black bear with your own hands, easily. Anyone could beat a black bear with your eyes closed and your hands tied, I'm not even joking.

But a grizzly bear? People in Alaska open carry shotguns and .44 all the time, even women and children, because there's always a possibility even if remote that a grizzly bear will show up. There's a joke that if you want to hunt grizzly bears, you should always take a big gun... but too big so it doesnt hurt too much when the bear takes it from you and shoves it up your ass.

*but not too big
sorry I fucked up.

What makes Roman or spartan swords not a real world sword?

I could see why people would say that. Animals are naturally stronger and tougher than almost all people, you can't kill a wolf by hitting or kicking it, you'd need to choke it or snap its neck. The chance of someone without much combat training winning in either scenario is pretty close to 0 except maybe a really strong guy against a wolf.
You could (((maybe))) beat a bear with a sword but only with some luck. Slashing attacks will almost never work, you would have to land a stab with all your weight behind it right in a vital spot, and they aren't slow, so you'd need to catch an opening right as it raises its body to swat or grab you.

he said spears dipshit

1 on 1 the heavier animals win in almost all cases in nature.
one wolf vs one human, the human wins.

Killogram's symbol is kg retards not Kg.

A good kick will easily cripple a leg of a wolf, cripple enough legs and you can just walk away

>Killogram
>Kill
WTF I hate metric system now

These digits for that question. Get off this board

Humans are bipedal and most of the time, quite smart, most will successfully sacrifice their arm when the wolf goes for their throats and disable
the main threat. Also, clothing is OP, can you fisht while clothed?

too slow, you died

G A M E O V E R

Much faster death if you cut off your own head with the sword

>the state of Veeky Forums in 2017

Couldn't you just keep a bear at distance with a sufficiently long sword? If you stab him before he's close enough to maul you it might just scare him off

What videos of police attack dogs.

>Mirror light into the bears eyes
>Get away

Wolves are like bacteria, it takes billions of them to harm something as large as a human. Even unarmed fighting only one is an almost certain win.
Maybe people think fighting a bear with a sword would be cooler than kicking a mangy dog to death even if your chances of survival aren't as high.

Against the Wolf:
1. You can climb a tree.
2. (you) can use Stick & Stones to beat the wolf.
>(starting bare hands but picking stick & stones from the surroundings or from the branches of the tree you just climbed)
Against the Bear:
1. A Bear can break the sword.
2. You have to climb a very tall tree & wait.

*unsheathes katana*

*teleports behind the bear*

heh... nothing personnel, cub

*dance of a thousand cuts*

they can be 170 lbs in Canada

Nice try, however:

Against the Wolf:
1. It can teleport vertically when in proximity to imaginary trees.
2. (the Wolf) has immunity to imaginary Sticks & Stones
>(you are dead)
Against the Bear:
1. A Bear cannot break a sword.
2. A Bear can also climb a tree.

Put a blade in my hand and there's nothing I can't defeat.

Why not just let the bear charge you while you point your sword at its chest? It's like jousting but you stay still

I'd fight the bear
I wrestle with my dog all the time and trying to not get bit is fuckin impossible. There's just no way man. Unless you somehow got your legs around the throat and scissor it while also choking him with your hands, and that's next to impossible, you're fucked. Dogs are just too wily

Bear with a sword, first thing I'd do is point the sword straight up and wave it around. Hopefully this will confuse the bear into thinking I'm beeg and not worth the fight. If that didn't work I guess I'd spin around like a retard, or try an overhead strike. If the bear still wants to fight after I split its face in two I'm probably fucked.

anons in here WILDLY underestimating the size and power of certain species of wolves.

To survive though you pick the bear and then drop the sword and just run, a human can easily outrun a bear over long distance where as a wolf is one of the few creatures that would be able to keep up

I think you take the sword because there's a decent chance the bear just gets scared of the sword and runs away
animals like bears generally won't bother trying to eat something that can actually hurt them
you might have to actually land a blow so it realizes that its sharp though
maybe you could just throw it but thats risky

with the wolf you're basically fighting it no matter what

I did fencing when I was young, so the sword would be a obvious choice.

>A sword would not stop a bear from killing you.

Why say something like this? Of course a sword can make you slay a bear.

ITT: Idiots. A wolf will probably kill you if you try to fight it bare-handed, but a bear will CERTAINLY kill you if you try to take it on with a sword.

As someone who has fought with dogs with my bare hands a couple of times before (there are many feral dogs in my city, some of them quite large) anyone who chooses to fight the bear is an idiot. All you need to do against the wolf is grab it tight by skin on the back of its neck. It can't do shit against you.

you faggots are SEVERELY underestimating how deadly a wolf is, 0% chance to kill it bare handed. if somehow you get the sword in the bears neck, you could kill it. not 0%.

/thread

ridiculously similar posts, and i hadnt even scrolled down to yours when i made mine

You're an idiot.

No we aren't. At least I'm not. Some breeds of dogs are significantly stronger than wolves.
Look mate, I come from a family of Romanian shepherds. My great grandfather used to herd sheep in the Carpathian mountains. He had to guard the flock against packs of wolves and brown bears (there are still shepherds who do this now btw, in similar ways). From the stories he told me, he would much rather fight a pack of wolves on the mountains because the herding dogs he had with him and his cane were enough to deal with any wolf. He used to say that when he was younger, he could kill a wolf by hitting it with the cane in the head a couple of times, no need to waste bullets, and in any case, the wolves would be easy meat for the dogs -- breeds like caucasian shepherds, look them up. These dogs are massive and extremely strong, precisely because bear encounters were also possible. And speaking of bears, he said that against a bear your best bet when encountering one would be to scare it away and hope a fight is not necessary. Dealing with a bear was a nightmare even with a pack of giant herd dogs (at least 3 usually) to help you. He also used to carry a rifle with him, but he didn't like to use it because it scares the sheep and there are many ravines in the area of the Carpathian mountains he lived in, and sheep are dumb enough that they can run over a fucking cliff. And bullets were very expensive.

In any case, the gist of it is that wolves were annoying, but that's only because they hunt in packs. Bears were sheer terror to deal with.

Completely irrelevant to the question

I'm not so sure about that. See:

>comparing a domesticated animal fending for scraps against a predator that kills for food it's entire life
100% Moronic

plus thats not hardly what i ment by irrelevent anyway

Use sword to reflect sunlight into bear's eyes, rendering him useless for a couple seconds, thus giving you enough time to peace the fuck out if you have average human speed and stamina.

I've taken two years of fencing with larping on the side and I'm far from confident I could disable a bear.

Small people and women should pick the sword and bear.
If you're over 70kgs pick the wolf.

I wouldn't expect anything else from this generation of cowards and idiots.

Why bother putting in the effort of fighting a bigger enemy even when you have the resources? why not do a "safer", "simpler" battle with a weaker opponent even if you're unarmed?

Go look at a big dog, does that seem like 20 kg to you? A wolf's average weight is around 50 kg.

More like 40

Trying to find historical accounts of bears/wolves versus humans I found some interesting stuff.

hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674047822 (very cool)
bestiary.ca/beasts/beast171.htm (cool)
penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/gladiators/bestiarii.html (sort of relevant, likely there are more stories)

ALSO

Memes >325 AD
>The early Church was threatened by pagan legends of the bear’s power, among them a widespread belief that male bears were sexually attracted to women and would violate them, producing half-bear, half-human beings

Memes 2008<
>A frog
>For you
>repeating digits

I just eyeballed it but you're right. Still, it's double what that user said.

Oh good one. FAG

I was going to say I could possibly beat a wolf, but then I read this:
quora.com/Animal-Behavior-Would-a-lone-adult-wolf-be-able-to-take-down-an-unarmed-athletic-adult-human

Tl;DR:
>180 pound athletic human has 2 "pet" wolves
>thick winter clothes
>one starts getting uppity, goes in for the kill
>human protects his throat with his arm
>arm instantly broken, muscle mostly torn
>human was saved by someone who had the wolf on a leash

Anyone who says the wolf is easy game is fucking delusional. No matter where that jaw goes, that limb is disabled for good.

Anyone who says bear has not seen what a bear can do. Bears will fuck you up. I don't want to get into a fight with a wolf either, but bears are fucking huge. Have you nigs never been to a zoo? Even if it's not a grizzly, it has a lot of weight and muscle on you.

Now, if it were a pack of wolves, or really just more than one, I'd take the bear any day. But that bear can literally just sit on you and win.

>larping
Because this would really improve your skills at all.

>all you'd need to do is avoid the bites and get head control.
A wolve's teeth are its weapon. Trying to get head control and avoiding getting bitten is like trying to stop a sword by grabbing it with your hands. The only way to force a stalemate would be

What do you mean by "sacrifice their arm"?

Can I hold my own against a bear with an AK-74?

Yes, but no ammo.

Fight wolf with hands VS fight bear with sword VS fight T.Rex with shotgun.
Which one is it?

Shotgun of course.
Worst case scenario you can use it to avoid being eaten alive.

I am pretty sure you could outrun a T-rex, if that becomes necessary

Depends on the species of bear. I'd take on a little blacky with a sword over a wolf any day, but a Kodiak would literally rip my head off. At best I could make it bleed out while it tore me in half.

Species is a huge factor because some adult black bears weigh less than some adult gray wolves.

depends really on the species
Same for bears, really, and depends on the sword also

But I'll still take my chances against a wolf with bare hands, mostly because you can technically crush a wolf's ribcage interlocking your legs around it and possibly suffocate him, or still cause quite the damage to is lower body

T.Rex. he is already dead.

I don't think anyone's saying the wolf is easy game, just that it's easier than the bear.

This

Like imagine taking on a sun bear with a sword you would fuck that little thing up

Bears can run 30mph. Unless you're Usain Bolt, the bear will close the distance too fast for you to get away and tire it out.

>mfw people ITT don't realize wolves are pack animals and are less likely to fight if you just stand your ground.
>Mfw I have no face because I tried to fight a bear with a sword.

This.
t. 6'5" 245lb. Come at me, wolf.

It's time to solve this debate.

WITH SCIENCE

Flip a coin, so that if I'm victorious I can start the story by saying that I flipped a coin to decide which fight, as if to fallaciously imply that I was confident of winning either.

You could probably scare of a large black bear by screaming and banging the sword. Polar or grizzly and you're dead no matter what. Depends on the type of bear

I'll take a sword, even if a spear would be 10 times better. Bear would fuck off to eat something else after you poke it a few times.

literally stab his mouth...

>unfortunately

really?

How would a bear hold sword? They got no thumbs. And how did the wolf get my hands? Stupid question.