How will science solve this?

How will science solve this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pPJUVbxk2sU
existentialcomics.com/comic/1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Hopefully with a banhammer

It won't. Same issue with the Star Trek teleporters being suicide machines. A new you pops out with the old you's memories, but each time you use one you die and cease to exist.

>gradually replace parts of brain with computer parts
>brain in jar

This.

So, what is consciousness ?

>from any outside perspective it's the same
>the only person who cared is dead
If no one cares, is it really different?

We don't talk about consciousness on Veeky Forums, stranger.

Just ask these cunts about consciousness and the measurement problem.

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

once we figure out how to store energy indefinitely.

consciousness isn't the wires in the brain
its the electricity running through the wires.

>does it send compression waves through the air?
Yes
>are there ears to receive them?
No

Depends on how pedantic you wanna get.

*blocks your path*
"No"

are you trying to imply that an eardrum vibrating is where sound comes from?

>tfw our children shall become the keepers of paradise. existing solely to persist an immortal perfect world for the lucky few

What is being preserved by just walking to your destination instead of being reassembled?

Why are you thinking you are the slightest bit more in touch with your past self than a reassembled you would be?

there is less entropy in your system when you are walking vs a bunch of particles floating about in the aether to be reassembled.

That's not an answer to either of the two questions.

This is the big deal. If we imply consciousness can actually be transferred from one physical substrate to another, there's no issue in the first place. If it cannot, we must wonder why. Since the brain changes but your stream of experience doesn't necessarily end due to the changes, it's somewhere in the middle. Because as much as people argue memories = you, I disagree. My aunt with total amnesia is still my aunt whether the her 10 years ago and the her now have to way of being aware of the other's existence.

Star Trek averts this issue because people can get lost in the slipstream between departure point and destination; I'm pretty sure they have an episode with a person stuck in the teleporter. Theirs is really more of an activatable wormhole than an atomizer.

I wonder if humanity ever will prevent heat death/find some cheat around it Cosmic AC style.

A state of self-referential cognitive awareness that arises through meta-cognition (thoughts about thought.
There is no hard problem, it's just a poorly-reasoned concept that doesn't describe what's going on very well.

>tfw you lost the coin toss
youtube.com/watch?v=pPJUVbxk2sU

You could argue that the exact same thing happens every time you go to sleep, but that doesn't mean we should all stop sleeping.

kind of like going to sleep and waking up again

There's no problem to solve. There isn't any actual continuity of 'self' from moment to moment in the first place beyond similarity in memory content and closeness in space and time. There is no 'self' to 'carry over' in making an artificial version of a mind. The more than one version of a mind existing at same time situation confuses your intuition and makes you believe the artificial version is somehow less legitimate, but 'you' from ten minutes ago doesn't teleport into 'you' from five minutes ago any more than source 'you' teleports into artificial 'you'.

anwser to this problem would be some kind of direct brain-virtual brain interface, allowing consciousness to exist simultaneosly in both, before shoutdown of the organic grain

>teleporters

TRANSPORTER

not Teleporter

They specifically say "transporter" because that is what it does. It transports instead of teleports. That's how people can get stuck or wake up inside the buffer and all other such things. It isn't a wormhole thing either. They turn matter and energy into another form, transport it, and convert it back on the other side. On rare occasions it can be mirrored and end up creating a copy due to interference, added energy, and a second containment beam.

>first kill the guy/make him unconscious
>then scan his brain
>revive only the digital clone
Problem solved.
Also relevant comic
existentialcomics.com/comic/1

^This, there's nothing to transport, this "problem" is like insisting you don't want a mere "copy" of an mp3 but the original.

My nigga, got tired of posting this in every consciousness thread but you're right.

Only that's 100% incorrect.

Remember, psychology isn't a real science. It is far closer to broscience.

That's not psychology. It's an exorcism of the Cartesian dualism you're afflicted with.

>Remember, psychology isn't a real science. It is far closer to broscience.
And? That argument has literally nothing to do with psychology. Once you take the findings of neurology to their logical conclusion, it's the only sensible way to look at it.

Old man's war had a neat solution. Not a copy but a direct transfer of consciousness after mapping the pattern. For a brief time you are in two places at the same time but then old vehicle gets desynced.

That just sounds like a superstitious waste of time. Two bodies being controlled by one brain at once before the first body is killed doesn't make the second body any more legitimate than if you skipped that one brain / two body step and just killed the first body and created the second body.

the entire thing about teleportation is that if you're desintegrating somebody,even if you remount him/her again in another place,their """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""soul""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" are going to be ded since they literally fucking died but got remade in another place,which is the main problem with teleporters,everyone is too scared to use them since they might die or not

imagine in the first test,it goes sucessful and the other person acts exactly the same as the last,no differences.
then after it's legalized and you finally use it,you fucking die because you just got desintegrated
the entire thing about this is the soul and conciousness aspect of it,it's why people in star trek look so souless
imagine.

hey, just wondering if you got that picture on the spot via google, or if you have like a folder of philosopher pictures.

If the latter, could I please have the folder? I need to philosophical shitpost more often, and it's nice having a neat little catalog to play with and choose from.

Dude. Your body won't discentergrate if you teleport. If anything you'll think you ended the fucking universe when you left. Everything around you would just transition to another place. It's usually different each time but still some kind of space transition. But it's rediculous to think you ended the universe. The whole experience totally ruins any concept of spacetime. And it's a bit like how could I have disappeared if I wasn't there to see myself not there.

I love that book

The answer to your question my friend is some basic adjustments to the language. To acknowledge dreams is the first step. You are awake in your dream okay. The next step is something like " you know what's wierd about this world, everywhere else I wake up, or other, and here I lay down to sleep" so wake up needs to mean a bit different. Maybe design a graphic in illustrator that says, "perception software", "click here to use" bum bum "you cannot use this software while you are mortal, please go to sleep". Have some pictures that provoke you to think you can redefine time with this software, and go to sleep and change your perception. Or just read enough of that stuff about dreams that last for 3 minutes and seem like they go for hours. And about that lady who had a 100yr lucid dream. Fuck who knows mate, after a few years, you might never even wake back up here. It's stupid to think dreams are in the brain okay, just challenge the concept with the space - space border. Where in the vain is the scene.

I shouldn't be telling yous this but science is never going to be allowed anywhere near teleportation. You morons would fuck it right up.

Literally what the fuck are you on about?

Next time your falling to sleep watch what you think. I've seen myself planning alot, like how long I will dream and even that I will wake up back where I went to sleep. Once I tried to fit 6000 hours into a dream and my head wouldn't let me. But the next day when I woke up after what seemed like a few months in a bad dream btw.

The software idea is just to help you think you can change your perception of time on the computer while your in the dream.

And the other part is DO NOT DEFINE YOUR DREAMS INTO YOUR HEAD. EVER. FULL STOP.

I just got what you mentioned, literally. Duh. Umm okay my bad. Living the dream and dream need to be clearly seperated. Sleep needs to be clearly seperated. Your not asleep in a dream your awake. Mortal is the best word I could find to seperate awake when your going to sleep tonight and awake when your waking up, so awake when your asleep but not asleep as I said.

Please delete this I can't explain here.

What do you think it is?

Sorry guys. Can you by more deletes on this site? Ive been informed I gave you bad advice yet again.

It's not recommended that you's change your perception of time I've been informed, and I used a word yous don't even have that I got in trouble for.

The point of uploading your brain is not to clone you, but so that "you" can be resurrected if/when you die.

Could end up with a triangle pointing down from your shoulders and no legs for a day while your dead. If you refer to your conciesness and chase it a bit it might end up there if your anything like me.

It doesn't make sense anyway now I think of it cause I could see myself floating and apparently the triangle was my consiousness. To provoke yourself to do something like chase your consiousness when your not in a life or death situation shouldn't be hard. I'm not gonna be the one to say it's hard to make you do.

Population control bro. They'll never resurect you. Plus you'd be long gone by then anyway. Your ghost will probably be swung around by the umbelical silver chord and tossed to some planet on the other side of the galaxy by then. Ive got a mate that used to be a monsoon on Jupiter in his last life haha

What is there to solve?

What's that slow thing. It's never gonna kill ya. Physical body it's called

Who we call each call "I" is just a single thought. We aren't a stream of consciousness but are just one short individual thought. We are created then die every second while a new thought takes
over which then calls itself 'I'. The 'you' that was there when you started reading this is now dead and you didn't even notice.

Just convince the guy that he's the copy, that the real him is in the computer.

So does this mean that you would recognize two streams of consciousness momentarily? I mean "you" anyway.

Simple: cybernetic brain implants that slowly increase over time. Either with manual upgrades or by themselves. Start out with something the size of a pea, that slowly grows and consumes your entire organic brain. Once it's completely done you simply hook up your computer brain to the internet, same as your computer.

Interestingly enough, a lot of legit scientists believe that the soul does exist, it's a form of energy. It's only a matter of time before scientists can invent machinery that detects souls. Like a little monitor that starts beeping and letting a doctor know if their heart surgery patient is having an out of body experience or not.

So, this leads to an important question: If a perfect digital/android copy of you is created with all of your memories (and in such a way that there is no debate that it is the "real" you and the "old" organic you is out of the question) is it still you if it doesn't possess your soul, but manifests a new one of it's own?

What the fuck are you smoking, and where can I get some?

Schizophrenia man, you should try it. Good stuff.

>>brain in jar
why even live?

I think it is very interesting that our minds are able to maintain coherence and a sense of self over time and space.

I like this, it gives me a good visual representation.

Even if we solved the problem, living in a fake world would drive me insane. It's probably better if we could just slow down or completely stop aging at a certain point.

a phenomenon that only you (yes, you: the reader) experience. solipsism is the only possible answer.

Indeed I would prefer to live as a robot in a physical world over just some simulation.

the real question is how assblasted atheist fags would be in knowing souls exist
>oh shit souls exist
>PRAISE JESUS

I don't think many people would have a problem accepting it, if it were actually scientifically proven.
It never will be of course, but I'd accept it.

The subjective phenomenological experience is all that matters if you're a pissbaby about the continuity of consciousness.

conciousness is part of a hyper-physical plane. It cannot be observed or measured with any physical object.

Synchronize the minds and then shoot the biological mind in the head cutting the connection before the damage is transferred (easy to calculate).

This is legit the plot of Soma. Great game btw.

This is like the third time someone in this thread has suggested doing that. I don't understand why you would bother. It's not like the artificial mind is going to be any different whether you do this superstitious two body controlling step beforehand or not. If you don't do it the artificial mind is still going to have all your memories up to the point where your brain was scanned in. It's pretty bizarre how persistent this "self" idea spook is. Even though I think most here know on an intellectual level that the artificial mind would include all the features of the biological mind, you still feel like there's some extra non-physical thing missing that you need to carry over.

Perception is all that matters.

I don't know about how good the gameplay might be, but its conclusion on this topic is the typical brainlet refrain of "but it would just be a copy!" As though there was ever any magical self-continuity module there in the first place that the copy lacked. Yes, at the moment of creation, the artificial mind and the source mind would begin having their own separate lives and memories, but you from ten minutes ago never jumped into you from five minutes ago's body either. Continuity of self is a narrative we use to conceptualize ourselves and others, not a physical reality. Buddhist teaching of anatman covers this.

Kek, I like you user

Perception is a behavior. The idea of "transferring" it somewhere else is meaningless. It's like saying you want to transfer your walking or your eating to an artificial body. If the artificial body can walk and eat, then it can walk and eat, it doesn't mean anything to say you synced up with it and made it walk and eat before terminating your biological body. Behaviors aren't pieces of property in need of transportation.

Shove your Cartesian Theater up yer bunghole.

Read up on anatman, Buddhists already explained this how belief in continuity of "self" is a mind trap a long time ago.

I don't get it. Why do you like him?

Slowly replace each piece of the brain with mechanical parts until there it's completely machine.

wow fpbp

this. please post it if it exists