What could people wear on Mars?

Would it be entirely out of the question for future explorers of The Red Planet to wear suits not made from some crazy expensive tech like in virtually every sci fi story ever, but instead, something as plain as an airtight version of a wool jacket? Or at least, lined on the inside with something as simple as feathers or wool?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/G2G75OlrbIY
red-oasis.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Latex is the only valid answer.

>Dainese space suit
Can I have a space MV Agusta f3 too?

Pic. is better.

no one is going to be walking around on the surface of mars cunt, they'd be on a space station in orbit or underground

what the fuck

The meek shall inherit the Earth.

The rest of us shall go to the stars.

Something like this.

Sounds badass.

Somebody please just tell me if they think it's feasible or stupid or whatever and why. Thanks.

Could you elaborate?

The atmospheric pressure on Mars is so low as to be practically vacuum in terms of human physiology. While a human body does NOT explode in vacuum (other than in bad sci fi movies), you will nevertheless need a counter pressure. This you can create with a traditional pressurised space suit as we know from, say, the Apollo project, or you can exert a direct mechanical pressure as in the MIT Biosuit shown here Trouble is that the biosuit only works on women and that the helmet has to be pressurised anyway, a still unsolved interfacing problem.

A wool jacket is unlikely to work.

That is the silicon rubber suit used in the recent movie Ghost in the Shell.

I tried googling the reason but came up empty. Why does the suit only work with women? Different centre of masses?

>I tried googling the reason but came up empty.
Not all parts of this research is worth publishing. BTW this is a seruous MIT project and teh PI, Dawa Newmann is now in NASA.

>Why does the suit only work with women?
This is a blue board. And blue is the colour a man will take on as a biosuit slowly castrates him. Remember that part about exerting pressure? Unless you are trained as the Sumo wrestlers are you will first be in agony then your voice will pitch up. Outer angles are not a problem. Inner angles like arm pit and crotch needs extra counter pressure to avoid effectively vacuuming that part of the body. The arm pit is no problem. Protecting male genitalia is an unsolved problem, possibly unsolvable.

>Different centre of masses?
This made me laugh. Good one.

I see your point. That does indeed seem like a major problem. These suits would be much cheaper than the traditional solutions we have currently, yes?

>Put hard plastic cup over balls
>Put on pressure suit
Hello darpa I need 10 million bucks to go buy some sports cups at walmart

If you could get it to work the suits would be more comfy and light weight. I am not sure about cost. In use the lines follow the lines of constant extension so the suit should not restrict your movement.

In one concept the idea is to put on the mesh of lines of constant extension and then spray on a polymer (latex though they avoid saying it). Not sure why a normal latex catsuit would not work.

Umm, do you see the problem?

Oh. Thanks.

that should honestly be a slogan for a space agency.

I agree though in today's political climate I am not sure any space agency will dare. The expression isn't mine but I cannot remember where I first saw it.

This is sort of off topic because it's not about the suit's base material, but how about suits that, besides having oxygen tanks, have meal supplements, straws for the meal supplements, and ... a catheter. A suit like this would be for really long term use. Like, Martian equivalents to hiking trips.(not necessarily trips taking more than a day, but hiking trips nevertheless) What say you, Sci?

I mean, I can't speak for everyone, but I'm a Christian, and that sounds awesome.

At this point I think it is appropriate to recommend A.C. Clarke's "The City and the Stars". Wikipedia has spoilers.

Cool. Have you read "Childhood's End", by him? It's also pretty good.

I did, most of Clarke and Asimov are close to compulsory reading.

Perhaps sci fi outfits WILL come true??
youtu.be/G2G75OlrbIY

Emergency bump!

Red Oasis red-oasis.com/ is a web comics set on Mars. They show people using breathing masks with oxygen and otherwise just warm clothes. this will work on Mount Everest, barely, and that still has 20 percent of atmospheric pressure. There is no chance this would work on Mars.

In some space missions they lowered the internal pressure in the space suits, not entirely sure why. I think it was lowered 30 - 50 percents. They had to go back to more normal pressure since the astronauts got some problems.

Can they not just tuck? Push their balls into the pelvic cavity and then bend the dick backwards and tape it down to create a smooth surface.

Crossdressers and trannies have been doing this stuff for decades.

I'm no expert, but depending on how tight the suit is, I'd say no.

Come to think of it why would it even need to be air tight? Obviously you would need a re-breather helmet and oxygen supply.
You could in theory get away with a skin tight suit and proper thermal/radiation protection but wouldn't necessarily need to be pressurized unless your doing specialized heavy work.

There is a requirement for some pressure on the skin to prevent vacuum bruising. That can be provided by either of two means - fluid pressure from the environment, or mechanical pressure.

see

Would it be possible to have a skin tight suit with "ballooned" segments of air pressure over areas such as joints and genitals?

They will wear yeezy

this is what i was gonna say

regionally pressurized suits

my idea of the ideal martian surface suit would be a biosuit with a sealed, atmospherically pressurized crotch and helmet. alongside this, you'd wear external pads on your elbows and knees, plus external gloves. the helmet would have two layers as well- the internal, pressurized layer, and an external, removable layer with a metal grid in front of the visor and a crumple zone around the rest of the helmet. The external stuff is so you and your suit don't fucking die if you trip and hit a sharp rock hard like in every fucking sci fi movie ever (the interstellar scene where matt damon headbutted the other dude triggered me)

How about visors like car windshields? Two layers, and something holding them together in between.

that's better for visibility, but my idea was basically just make the armor part as cheap and disposable as possible