What defines a species Veeky Forums?

Has anyone tried making those jackals fuck?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24032721
science.sciencemag.org/content/298/5602/2381.full
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I don't even want to call it a species anymore. I am not calling a cat and a lion a different race, they are different species entirely. A turkish angora and a norwegian cat are different races.
Domesticated cats have nothing in common with lions, jaguars, leopards, cheetah, panthers. At the very least tigers enjoy catnip like our cats do, but lions don't.

The jackals as genetically far more different from one another than the humans.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24032721

Interesting question. There are three main models biologists use to classify species.

The first, and probably the most commonly known one has to do with viable offspring. If two individuals can produce a fertile offspring, then they are said to be the same species.

This falls apart, however, when talking about those individuals we can't test for various reasons, and extinct species. Instead, for fossils and the like, we rely on morphological classification- how similar they are in appearance and function.

This classification falls apart when you consider contradictions- nobody would take a fossil of a husky and a fossil of a chihuahua and surmise that they are in fact the same species, and can breed. For the final nail in the coffin, due to recent advances in science, we rely on the phylogenic classification, which takes genetic markers and classifies based on some narrow margin of genetic difference between two individuals or populations.

Again though, even that is flawed, because we're ultimately just drawing the line in the sand arbitrarily for how close they have to be to be part of the same species.

If you study biology for long enough, a few things become almost depressingly apparent.

Almost everything regarding biological classification is purely the result of human simplification and arbitration, and the distinction between life forms isn't all that special. There's a form of nihilism that sets in often, but it's for the most part combated by the autistic pleasure derived from the natural mysteries of biogenesis and tracking evolutionary pressures and trends to determine in a weird roundabout way how different genes arise on an atomic level from a macroscopic ecosystem level.

Tl;dr: Honestly, it's all just made up shit anyways.

Brainlet detected. No biologist honestly uses the "viable offspring" idea. It's all done with genetic testing now. It's mostly based on genetic differentiation and distances between populations.

>I can't read: the post

Also, incorrect. Some historical biologists and those who specialize in species with great morphological and genetic variation like dogs rely on accounts of viable offspring and traditional lineages in classifications. You're right that it's not commonly used though- it's still however treated in academia as one of the classifications used, which was the only point I was making by bringing it up.

Why do you feel compelled to post this same thread five times every day?

I saw this on r9k. I haven't been on sci in months

I read your post. It's 100% garbage. We can define exact mathematical cutoffs to differentiate species and subspecies with population genetics. Fst with Bayesian clustering is probably the most common method. It is not "made up shit."

Not him, but do you mean that you can set the limit yourself? If so then a different setting would give different species, meaning that it's basically made up.

Where we define the mathematical cutoff is entirely arbitrary. We designate a certain narrow margin, based on fuckall but an arbitrated decision- nothing more than what's decided to be reasonable by a counsel of people.

On top of this, we can't even test all individuals within a population and make a lot of assumptions regarding homogeneity. I do admit that the systems in place are accurate based on how they're set up- but they're all set up, and have the inherent arbitration of the base definitions set by human judgment.

What shithole country are you in where you're getting told that there's some inherent mathematical cutoff of genetic variance that defines a species, rather than a cutoff aided by available data and mathematical modeling that is arbitrated by a counsel of scientific officials?

The limits would be the genetic distances between how many groups you set, and how differentiated those groups were. Let's say you wanted to see if a population of animals could be divided into two populations (k=2). You would use bayesian modeling to see if those animals in those two populations were similar to each other and different from the other groups genetically.

Here's what happens when you try to do it for humans, before /pol/ goes autistic. No, it never reproduced what we call 'race.' The authors tried to go up to k=12, but some groups were too genetically similar, like europeans, middle easterners, and indians would always be grouped together.

science.sciencemag.org/content/298/5602/2381.full

The cuttoffs are based on observable data from the population you're studying. If you don't understand anything about bioinformatics and you just want to a racist shithead that hurls insults rather than learns, I'm not here to teach you. Just go back to /pol/

Okay, I can see there's a misunderstanding here. It's not racist to bant about educational disconnect across varying countries' curricula. I took sort an aggressive stance because I'd assumed you were one of those /pol/tard "Race is absolute, see science says so hurr" trolls, based on the assertion that it's not arbitrary being the primary argument- This was my bad for making such an assumption.

They're based on the observable data, I'm not saying they aren't, but it's still a census of people that determines the cutoff for how different populations are to be determined separate species.

I'm interested in bioinformatics, but I'm not very well versed in it. For my degree I focused on molecular bio, with some experience in biostats, so I know how the basic modeling is done (although I'll plead ignorant to the exact mechanisms of the larger system models).

But you can say the difference between the jackals is bigger than between thehumans. You can see the humans mate with eachother. I think we can use differnt measures for educated ideas about variations between animals.

And desu nothing makes sense without simplifications.

If you debunk the idea of species as made up are you saying its not useful?

lel, saved

Oh yeah, I'm not trying to say at all that it's arbitrary therefore meaningless, just trying to highlight and denote the contiguous nature of biology, by the mere fact that biological code is all written in the same language and stems from the same stuff.

The systems we have for biological classification are all incredibly useful tools for dealing with pragmatic issues of conservation, biological produce, behavioral analysis, and anything where species lumping is useful, I just wanted to give a little commentary about how there're flaws and drawbacks (contemporarily and historically) to how we classify due to no ""inherent"" black-and-white distinction between populations as creationists might believe. I in no way mean to say that species is a bullshit made up concept- but that it's an incredibly useful made up concept.

I'm sorry I addressed you adversarialy at first- I just figured from the tone and use of 'brainlet' that you were just a /pol/ troll, which I've become increasingly tired trying to reason with over the past few weeks in discussions on climate science, biology, and other such things I'm very interested in.

I 'ad a giggle

Iff youve really read that article youre being very disingenuous. It doesnt say that at all. It does show race clusters and ive seen them in other articles too.

I see... so you consider Europeans, Middle Easterners, and Indians to all be white? That's what the data shows on figure 1.

Go back to reddít

Why? It's a pretentious echo chamber full of tools and bandwagoners, it's difficult to find any actual meaningful discourse or dissent, along with the other many problems like underage fags, a requirement for political correctness, yet a contradictory desire to be edgy. Reddit a shit

That's funny because everything from "there're" to the spacing to your apologizing screams reddit.

I space it doublespace because otherwise it's painful to read blocks of text. There're is the contracted version of "there are". I was apologizing because I was genuinely impeding the process of actual conversation by hurling insults instead of talking about the idea, and wasting time in the process. I furthered the apology after another response because it was finally apparent that we didn't even disagree fundamentally, it was just an issue of how the language was presented.

How are you so familiar with reddit anyways?

My nigga
Good to see another on Veeky Forums

why don't you go there since you fucking LOVE to talk about it and spacing

retard

You don't need to explain why you write the way you write, I'm just telling you you write like a redditor.
Reddit spacer detected.

"What is epistemology" the post

>Almost everything regarding biological classification is purely the result of human simplification and arbitration, and the distinction between life forms isn't all that special. There's a form of nihilism that sets in often, but it's for the most part combated by the autistic pleasure derived from the natural mysteries of biogenesis and tracking evolutionary pressures and trends to determine in a weird roundabout way how different genes arise on an atomic level from a macroscopic ecosystem level.

>your head

>I'm interested in bioinformatics, but I'm not very well versed in it. For my degree I focused on molecular bio, with some experience in biostats, so I know how the basic modeling is done (although I'll plead ignorant to the exact mechanisms of the larger system models).
I focused on ecosystem science. What do you think about biosemiotics?

I think biosemiotics is an incredibly interesting approach to understanding ecosystems, and evolution at large. I'm not too well versed in it, but it's struck me as a kind of unique way to frame evolutionary patterns based on the focus of a sort of communication rather than- or maybe, more accurately as a footnote of "selection pressures".

In studying biology I've focused more on the molecular, cell, developmental, genetics, etc. side of things, but for any pragmatic approach, the macroscale study of patterns and mechanisms that arise lead often to shocking revelations about how things might work on a molecular/biochemical level.

To sum it up, I think it's an interesting field/approach. Ecosystem shit in general, by the way, is some dank shit, shame it doesn't get much of the limelight in terms of how it's seen in science, or in the media. I live in the pacific Northwest of USA, and there's a huge crisis with salmon numbers due in large part to ocean acidification causing shellfish to not form shells, creating a chain reaction throughout the food web, dropping salmon considerably. Useful, interesting shit.

Good post