Calculus III this semester

>Calculus III this semester

Are you ready?

Vector calc I assume? It's easy. You'll be fine

It's called *Calculus*.
You birdbrain have nothing to worry about.

Calculus 3 was exponentially harder than Calc 2. I hope you are ready for a lot of dense theory and are good at proofs.

Where did you go to school? Calc 3 was easier than calc 1

Not him, but in my uni (not in the US) a lot of professors assume you are somewhat proficient with proofs by calc 3.

Forgot to add, we saw different things related to topology, differential curves, the implicit/inverse function theorems and the like. In calc 4 we saw basic measure theory and a formal approach on the green, stokes and gauss theorems.

Calc I was pretty direct and trivial.
Not even that, I mean the theory that you learn in Calc 3 is much denser. A clear example I remember is how substitution for integrals in [math] \mathbb{R} [/math] is trivial and even automatic, but to do substitution in even double integrals you need to think about a bunch of shit. You need to very clearly write down the plane you are using to substitute. It is just much less intuitive.

>biochem 2 exam in 52 hours
>still haven't even gone through the amino acid metabolism even though I've been studying for two weeks

ahh, my prof would show us the proofs, but we were not required to know them beyond that.
It sounds like my calc 2, was part of your calc 3. Which (calc 2) was the hardest for me. Infinite series, learning trig sub etc.

100%. The hardest part imo was trip integral substitution, finding ie volume, converting from spherical to polar. Couldnt keep all the different formulas straight for the life of me. But thats what happens taking a 6 week summer course.

Calc 3 is usually multi not profs.

You'll be fine OP

>Not taking Calc III and Linear Algebra simultaneously

I know that. Calculus 1 and 2 also involved proofs. The topics in Calc 3, multivariable calculus, are just denser. The proofs are exponentially harder and the problems involve much more raw work to complete.

>not taking Calc II and Linear Algebra simultaneously

What are you, a pleb?

Also in my uni, Calc IV is called 'Advanced Calculus and Applications' and it involves learning about divergence and rotor, Gauss, Stokes and Green theorems, some introductory Complex Analysis, Fourier series and PDEs.

Is it the same in other universities?

No. Most universities split those up to separate classes because the Calc sequence is intended for all stem majors and they'd fail out of engineering and comp Sci if they had to learn more than how to do basic vector calc.

>advanced electrodynamics this semester

My uni still has those separate courses.

In Calc IV we just see an introduction to these topics I think.

at my school all of his calc 4 is in calc 3.

Calculus 3 is the best calculus.

>Electricity and Magnetism
>Thermal Physics
I'm actually kind of excited

at the university i attended, calc 3 was multivariable shit. partial derivatives, equations of planes, the shapes - hyperbolic paraboloid etc
calc 4 was greens theorem, stokes' theorem parametric equations, and i forget a bunch of the other topics

I will start Calculus I this semester

Ode is the most important of the Calc Classes for stem imo. When did you take that?

Not who you quoted but my case is similar (I'm this guy ). At my school we take ODEs parallel to Calc III.

ODE was recommended to me in second year, which would have taken place concurrently with calc III
I hate to blame the teacher and the other students seem to have no problem so probably just me being a brainlet but... i attended lectures and didn't get shit out of it. I dropped the course and took it again either next semester or next year. Different prof, made a lot more sense. relieved as fuck.

PDE was important for me too - EM used it heavily but i didn't know what the fuk was going on so that fucked me up

Shit part is, if i only knew the PDE material from like the first month, that's all i would have needed to do most of EM

bc u already learned the foundations, this is the same for general chemistry, organic chem is definitely easier than general chemistry

you can do it! :D

fuck THAT

>Be me
>One year ago, about to start studying Physics at university
>Take single variable calculus first semester
>pretty comfy
>Look up schedule for 2nd semester
>"Multi variable analysis and linear algebra"
>Realise this is basically calc 3
>Explosive diarrhea of pure fear
>Fast forward a couple of months
>Turns out it's actually extremely easy and required considerably less effort to understand than single variable calculus initially did.

Why did i fall for the American brainlet memes?

Probably helped if you had excellent professors
Imagine tackling that material on your own without knowing where/how to start ie with shitty profs
But who knows maybe I'm just a brainlet lel

I don't need to imagine, the professor teaching the course this year was absolutely terrible. He just rushed over the material without explaining things. I stopped attending lectures after the first week and just studied at home. I checked the recordings a couple of times to see if he had changed, but nope. I just had a good textbook to study, and that was all i needed. I sometimes supplemented with khan academy when i needed a 2nd viewpoint.

>be in calculus
>understand calculus theory
>get tested for juggling trigonometric symbols on a timer

>>get tested for juggling trigonometric symbols on a timer
Well. what did you expect?

Understanding calculus theory means nothing. The entire point of calculus is that you can apply it in higher fields of mathematics. Particularly when it comes to the study of functions. Trigonometric functions are ones of the simplest functions (in terms of the rules they obey) so they are good target practice for students to test their abilities. In the real world, you will probably use calculus for things like number theory, where you will have integrals of infinite series involving prime numbers and then instead of juggling trig identities you will be juggling number theory identities but at its heart, it is all the same. It is just easier to test those skills with trig functions because they are trivial as fuck.

Witch calculus you are now equipped to prove all kinds of inequalities that involve trig functions, polynomials, logarithms, exponentials and hyperbolic functions, and that is the point of teaching calculus. But those functions are for babies. They are baby functions. Even a 3-year-old with mental retardation could do trigonometry. You learned to do calculus with those baby functions so that one day you grow up and can do calculus in less trivial settings.

>algebra 1 this semester

gotta start somewhere!

Isn't calc 3 just a review of calc 1 and 2 but with an extra variable?

Not really. It is really simple as long as you understand vectors and single variable calculus though.

> Calculus 3 professor loved really computational questions
> backpack with calculator got stolen right before a test
> get a 64% because I couldn't do all the math by hand in time
> got a B instead of an A in the class because of it
> still fucking rage when I think about it

As long as your professor's good you should be fine. Heavy calculator or Mathematica usage is a red flag.

Good shit user
I wish these resources were available to me back when i was learning

>getting scared by HS tier math
The absolute state of engineering

Me too user. DiffEQ too