/eeg/ - Electrical Engineering General

Is it a good idea to take some Physics classes when you're studying EE? I'm thinking on taking Waves and Vibrations, Modern Physics and Quantum Mechanics, all three part of the Physics BSc. curriculum.

Am I memeing here? Because I would be doing it for the most part because I like physics.

Anyways, post your own doubts about EEs.

>career prospect?
>salary?
>good major or best major?
>best specialization inside EE?
>what do you actually do as an EE?
>personal experiences

Double bachelors in it and physics

What specialization involves NOT making circuits?

When I tell people that I'm studying EE, a lot say 'so you're going to make circuits for the rest of your life, uh?'. T-this can't be true, right?

But wouldn't that just make me overqualified for, like, every job in existence? Sounds like a meme option to me, as it would require a lot of work, time and dedication, and the payoff isn't that clear for me. Anyways, maybe I'm wrong, redpill me on double majoring.

>Physics vs Electrical Engineering
Physics = The creation of new ideas.
Electrical Engineering = Knowing all the things physicists have done so you can reimplement and repurpose them.

no, if you major in EE you don't have to learn any physics, in fact it would be detrimental

So if I want to get a PhD in EE and the investigation topic is, say, multilevel converters in wind turbines, knowing physics would be detrimental?

Care to elaborate on that?

Yes,

I've studied both, MMC and VSWT with DFIG .

The only physics you are need are:

1) Electric Circuit theory
2) Fourier Analysis (Frequency Domain Analysis) (Not physics, but mathematics)
3) Control Systems/Dynamic Systems (more mathematical anyways)
4) Magnetic Circuit Theory
5) Electrical Machinery Fundamentals and Dynamics
6) Fluid Mechanics (Just some basic fundamentals as the bernoulli equation)

If I'd focus on advanced control systems/optimization topics or electric machinery design for 10 MW wind turbines.

And it would be detrimental because...?

Anyways, if you want to investigate topics like semiconductors, quantum computers or optics, you certainly would need to know at least mid-level physics.

>Modern Physics and Quantum Mechanics
If you're doing going towards semiconductors / devices / microfab , you will want these. See, some devices (e.g. transistors) have gotten so small now that quantum models have to be used to describe their characteristics.

It's really not that bad because there is a huge amount of overlap in the two fields.

In my school, there are EE classes taught by the Physics department, and Physics majors can get some in-major credit from EE classes.

We (and I'm sure many other schools) have a specific "engineering/physics double major" option that involves an extra 9-15 credits or so. Where you take classical mechanics, modern, quantum, and a couple tech electives, so it's a slight overload for a few semesters.

>electrical engineering that doesn't involve circuits
"Electrical engineering" is a very broad term. Basically anything that is in any way connected to electrical fields can fall under its umbrella.
This means communication systems (both wired and wireless), signal processing, photonics (e.g. fiber optics / lasers), medical imaging, power systems, audio systems, safety / verification systems, hardware cybersecurity, etc.
You are not being limited in any way by studying this field.

>Is it a good idea to take some Physics classes when you're studying EE?

You definitely want to take QM if you want to understand properly how semiconductors behave.
If waves and vibrations aren't part of your curriculum take it, you won't be able to do
electromagnetics without it.

>What specialization involves NOT making circuits?

Power electricity, Electromecanics, Telecommunications, signal processing and wave applications (i dunno how do you call that in english, basically it's making antennas) are specializations where you're not (only) "making circuits".

>But wouldn't that just make me overqualified for, like, every job in existence? Sounds like a meme option to me, as it would require a lot of work, time and dedication, and the payoff isn't that clear for me.
Wanted to address this too. Mere school classes won't make you "overqualified" for any high paying job in the field, even if you have 3 majors and a 4.000 GPA.

The payoff is the freedom to choose the job or grad school that YOU want because you got many offers. Instead of being forced to work for whoever will take you at the end of 4 years of minimizing work, time and dedication.

>meme option
The biggest meme option is to choose to avoid difficulty. After all, that's what the majority of people do.
A smaller but still quite popular meme is to choose a hard course but then not put in any effort and blow it off.
Choosing difficulty and then actually executing isn't a meme at all.

>Physics vs Electrical Engineering
Why not both?
>Double bachelors in it and physics

>Power electricity, Electromecanics, Telecommunications, signal processing and wave applications (i dunno how do you call that in english, basically it's making antennas) are specializations where you're not (only) "making circuits".

Which of these ones deals the least with circuits?

How are the fields of analog/RF, antennas/electromagnetics, and photonics? Plan on studying one of these for my masters (maybe phd afterwards) and enjoy them all enough to be ready to study them. Which would be less coding intensive for actual jobs and which has better job market?

the more diverse the classes are the better it looks when you list it on your resume

I saw some Facebook video of an oscilloscope displaying gameplay of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.

How did they do it? Probably an EE did it. Do you really learn to do cool shit like that?

Brainlet here

How high of voltage can I get out of microwave transformers connected in series before they fry?

If you get really interested and keep on learning stuff after classes

Why? Do you hate circuits?

Read the datasheet. Max input power will usually be less than a few watts.

Has nothing to do with the power, just the input voltage.

Power in = power out in an ideal transformer.

EE Physics double mustard race

Question is whether or not to go to grad school

What do physicists even do

Only like 1% of any physics students are worth a damn and are given proper jobs (in what I might add)

Physics students are the more arrogant people I've ever met in my life. At the same time, they're the dumbest cunts I've ever met as well. No common sense at all. I have a physics friend who once said that he could teach his dogs physics given enough time, and that speed limits were pointless. I shit you not.

You hate us because you ain't us.
*smug phenotype face*