Mindblowing scientific graphs thread

mindblowing scientific graphs thread

Other urls found in this thread:

randalolson.com/2014/06/25/average-iq-of-students-by-college-major-and-gender-ratio/
theabsolute.net/misogyny/onwomen.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>average IQ (estimated from average GRE scores)

Philosophy is right at the top with math. That's either a sign that the graph is bad, or it's a sign that the smartest people can offset a degree which doesn't prepare you for a job.

The smartest people are not motivated by job prospects

This boards attitude to philosophy pisses me off, science and philosophy have been closely intertwined for all of history for good reason, philosophy gives science direction. You faggots pretend like you can put your science goggles on and figure out everything about the world.

This. The economy is just a tool and a fact of existence, not something with inherent value.

Is medicine at 113 with medical sciences or is it just not on the graph?

If you saw the shit you have to deal with modern philosophy and math, you wouldn't hate anyone who talks badly about them.

retard alert

Advanced enough philosophy is undistinguishable from math.

I don't see any professional program (law, medicine, etc) so it likely referring to fields like epidemiology. That said it is a unreferenced graph on Veeky Forums.

>Health & Med. Sciences that low

Why? I always thought that a medical degree is ridiculously hard.

A lot of people who major in philosophy have rich relatives and therefore do not have to worry that much about job perspectives

Tedious, selective and time consuming doesn't equate to individuals with high IQ. Content of the field dictates it.

Uh, it seems most do have to worry but decide to pursue it anyway. People with rich relatives tend to get cushy, high-pay, low-skill jobs via nepotism and so go into business/finance/economics or skip it all together.

here u go bud

medicine/health sciences is a ridiculously large field, huge number of people study it

that alone is enough to pull the IQ towards the average

Why not just rank it by GRE score?

Also /who good at reading and math but can't write/ here
164/161/3.5

it's just because you fucks can't into math

This is what capitalists actually believe

>Chosen profession is at the bottom of the chart
Seems right

Like what?

>Astronomers have higher IQ than mathematicians

philosophy is the natural complement to mathematics. anything that cannot be explained/solved by one can be handled by the other. also, having taken the GRE, the reading/writing sections are literally made for philosophy majors. and any non-brainlet can score high enough on the math if they put in a good week of reviewing high school algebra and geometry.

that aerospace eng cluster got me tripped out because tats what im about to enter... did i make a terrible choice or am i in the right place because ima retard?

>x axis is IQ
>no y axis label

nice try Comrade Corbyn

It's a 1-dimensional plot, you fucking social worker

I've completed my bachelor in mathematics, and decided after that to instead study architecture.

Because I'm now a mathematician gone architect, my IQ will be way above the average in my field.

That's how average works, right?

A 1-dimensional plot with arbitrary "height" is a bad plot. OP's image would be better suited towards a list or a bar graph.

I think he edited the picture to show aerospace as low IQ

randalolson.com/2014/06/25/average-iq-of-students-by-college-major-and-gender-ratio/

Original picture is on there

The texts would overlap if they had the same Y coordinate.

That structure is actually something that we call a "list".

For example:
1. Apple
2. Banana
3. Pear

>b-but why do the fruits have arbitrary heights

>library sciences
>higher than other things on the chart
As a library scientist I am confused.

Name one thing that philosophy has figured out about the world, objectively.
Go ahead, I'll wait.

The nobler and more perfect a thing is, the later and slower is it in reaching maturity. Man reaches the maturity of his reasoning and mental faculties scarcely before he is eight-and-twenty; woman when she is eighteen; but hers is reason of very narrow limitations. This is why women remain children all their lives, for they always see only what is near at hand, cling to the present, take the appearance of a thing for reality, and prefer trifling matters to the most important. It is by virtue of man’s reasoning powers that he does not live in the present only, like the brute, but observes and ponders over the past and future; and from this spring discretion, care, and that anxiety which we so frequently notice in people. The advantages, as well as the disadvantages, that this entails, make woman, in consequence of her weaker reasoning powers, less of a partaker in them. Moreover, she is intellectually short-sighted, for although her intuitive understanding quickly perceives what is near to her, on the other hand her circle of vision is limited and does not embrace anything that is remote; hence everything that is absent or past, or in the future, affects women in a less degree than men. This is why they have greater inclination for extravagance, which sometimes borders on madness. Women in their hearts think that men are intended to earn money so that they may spend it, if possible during their husband’s lifetime, but at any rate after his death.

As soon as he has given them his earnings on which to keep house they are strengthened in this belief. Although all this entails many disadvantages, yet it has this advantage—that a woman lives more in the present than a man, and that she enjoys it more keenly if it is at all bearable. This is the origin of that cheerfulness which is peculiar to woman and makes her fit to divert man, and in case of need, to console him when he is weighed down by cares. To consult women in matters of difficulty, as the Germans used to do in old times, is by no means a matter to be overlooked; for their way of grasping a thing is quite different from ours, chiefly because they like the shortest way to the point, and usually keep their attention fixed upon what lies nearest; while we, as a rule, see beyond it, for the simple reason that it lies under our nose; it then becomes necessary for us to be brought back to the thing in order to obtain a near and simple view. This is why women are more sober in their judgment than we, and why they see nothing more in things than is really there; while we, if our passions are roused, slightly exaggerate or add to our imagination.

It is because women’s reasoning powers are weaker that they show more sympathy for the unfortunate than men, and consequently take a kindlier interest in them. On the other hand, women are inferior to men in matters of justice, honesty, and conscientiousness. Again, because their reasoning faculty is weak, things clearly visible and real, and belonging to the present, exercise a power over them which is rarely counteracted by abstract thoughts, fixed maxims, or firm resolutions, in general, by regard for the past and future or by consideration for what is absent and remote. Accordingly they have the first and principal qualities of virtue, but they lack the secondary qualities which are often a necessary instrument in developing it.

>holding philosophy to the standards of other professions
it's not a practical tool and it's not supposed to be, if you judge professions by their practicality then by all means philosophy is useless to you, but there's much more to the subject than what it's "figured out". It's a subject that handles abstract thinking as well as morality and ethics.

Women may be compared in this respect to an organism that has a liver but no gall-bladder.9 So that it will be found that the fundamental fault in the character of women is that they have no “sense of justice.” This arises from their deficiency in the power of reasoning already referred to, and reflection, but is also partly due to the fact that Nature has not destined them, as the weaker sex, to be dependent on strength but on cunning; this is why they are instinctively crafty, and have an ineradicable tendency to lie. For as lions are furnished with claws and teeth, elephants with tusks, boars with fangs, bulls with horns, and the cuttlefish with its dark, inky fluid, so Nature has provided woman for her protection and defence with the faculty of dissimulation, and all the power which Nature has given to man in the form of bodily strength and reason has been conferred on woman in this form. Hence, dissimulation is innate in woman and almost as characteristic of the very stupid as of the clever. Accordingly, it is as natural for women to dissemble at every opportunity as it is for those animals to turn to their weapons when they are attacked; and they feel in doing so that in a certain measure they are only making use of their rights. Therefore a woman who is perfectly truthful and does not dissemble is perhaps an impossibility. This is why they see through dissimulation in others so easily; therefore it is not advisable to attempt it with them. From the fundamental defect that has been stated, and all that it involves, spring falseness, faithlessness, treachery, ungratefulness, and so on. In a court of justice women are more often found guilty of perjury than men. It is indeed to be generally questioned whether they should be allowed to take an oath at all. From time to time there are repeated cases everywhere of ladies, who want for nothing, secretly pocketing and taking away things from shop counters.

theabsolute.net/misogyny/onwomen.html

Damn, you're a fucking brainlet

To go back to topic, I found Richardson's curve interesting, which, when extrapolated, predicts an end of humanity.
While extrapolating such a curve is not strictly scientific, I thought it is a good way to warn people about the horrors of war.

same here got 170 math 163 verb and 3.5 writ

then I got shafted on the math subject test fucking 49 percentile