Hey Veeky Forums

hey Veeky Forums

ive always thhought that i was very intelligent, it doesnt matter why i thought it. my self image has recently been smashed by an actual intelligent person. how do i deal with the fact that im a brainlet? ,instead of pursuing a pipedream of being the next einstein, i should just find a comfy job and work that untill i die?
what should i study?

please help me Veeky Forums
Im desperate

Should i just get into IT?
i heard its comfy, and there are a lot of job oppurtunities.

Fellow brainlet here, intelligence isn't something you're born with. Obviously you're not going to be the next Einstein, but that doesn't mean you can't do great things. Find something you're interested in and try to be the very best at it.
IT seems nice, in fact I'm going to start studying it next week.

are you sure intelligence isnt something youre born with?

ive had some kind of delusion where i thought i was perfectly made for physics maths and philosophy, but i realised there is nothing about me that suggests i could or should. its not really actually interesting to me. i dont get excited over anything except watching tv shows.

Intelligence itself isn't something you're born with for sure, but some people just have a tendency to study and be interested in things. So in a way you could say they were born with the tools to make them smart?
Idk, that's just my 2 cents. I would say forcing yourself to do something you don't enjoy is stupid. Finding something you do enjoy can be difficult though, I know.

isnt it best maybe to just try and find stuff worth doing in your private life instead of your work?

Of course, but finding a fulfilling job is important too. Can you imagine working the same job for dozens of years while hating it?

no its terrible, but if i may ask, why did you pick IT?

id just like to have a job thats not absolute garbage pay

Honestly, I didn't put much thought into it. It just felt like it's right for me, and it's relatively nearby which helps too. You could say I'm exploring options, I can always drop out if I feel like it.
I'll probably enjoy it, or at the very least not hate it.

you know, i feel like i should just go into IT and be as comfy as possible, and whatever interests i develop afterward in my spare time i should opursue them.

Sounds like a solid plan. Having any sort of higher education helps if things go bad, I wish you luck on your ventures.

you too

If you thought you were smart for a long while, then that still sounds like you're not a total moron, or else you would've been told that a long time ago. So if you just find an area of work you're reasonably interested in an apply yourself, you could likely do alright.
is a good plan, if it doesn't bore you to tears.

Almost. Intelligence (IQ) is largely heritable (at least 50%, likely >70%); however, without interest and hard work, there is no competence.
Make a ordered list of the most interesting things you could be doing, and pick the highest one you could monetize.

So essentially some people are just doomed to be bad/average their entire life? Working hard may help, but you could never surpass those who got lucky.
Quite depressing when you think about it.

its very depressing, but maybe its just not healthy to realise how dumb you are, like most people pretend that their job is actually important and that they are doing great works in the world. ive just been unfortunate enough to see what can be done and how little of it i can do.
'

ill be working on that list thank you,
and can i not make IT fun? maybe do some creative stuff with it instead of just day in day out maintaining servers or some shit, there must be some variety in the field.

Only if bad and good are defined by intelligence, which is ridiculous. Whether you are a good person or not depends on your moral character, not your pattern-recognition ability.
If some people are just born intelligent, they didn't earn it, and so it doesn't imply that they are good people by any stretch.

I should have worded that differently, I didn't mean bad as in a bad person.
I mean in terms of career, less intelligent people will more often than not be at the bottom of the food chain so to speak. Depending on your ambitions, this could cause them to lead less fulfilling lives.

Look at the good side, those smart enough to be at the very least average are the ones capable of realizing that fact.

So just by humoring the though you are likely a smart-ish person, also likely to suffer from depression/bipolar disorder.

Think therefore am at its finest.

>also likely to suffer from depression/bipolar disorder.
Nice, just what I need.
For real though, that does kinda make me feel better.

>

how is that good?

Some questions first

How did your view of yourself get smashed?
How old are you?
What do you know / can do / level of school completed?

basically ive been hanging out with an intelligent guy and he has unintentionally shown me how stupid i actually am

i am 22 years old high school dropout

I can give you some exact advice if you respond to my questions.

Why did you drop out from HS?
How did he show you how stupid you are?

desu you're stupid just because you've dropped out from fucking high school. I recommend you focus on finishing that above all else.

Not too many companies in IT are gonna give you their time of the day if you don't even have HS diploma. I mean it's not a rule, but you would literally have to have years of experience and a great portfolio.

well weve been talking alot about our lives and ive noticed that all the arguments for stuff i see around me all the explainations ive given for things, always seem to stem from my own insecurities. basiccaly everything i say is either shallow or can be easily refuted.

i dont really have a good clear reason for dropping out. i have ADD and i have been mistreated by my stepdad, and ive never ever actually felt motivated to do stuff. people have always told me im very smart, and i talk like a smart person, buti cant actually put it into practise.

im currently studying to do home exams to get my highschool diploma, working at mcdonalds is depressing as fuck

Okay, here's my advice

1) Do whatever it takes to finish your HS diploma
2) If you're really interested in getting a developer job, use good beginner websites like either

www.codeacademy.org (very beginner friendly)
www.freecodecamp.org (this one is also beginner friendly, but not as much. What it has is a linear path to obtaining all the skills necessary in current front end development)

Good luck

Classic Dunning-Kruger. Just get into trade work and shoot for an early retirement. Build a Roth IRA and get in a union. If you want to be more risky, try to start a web development company if you really like IT.