Who can compete?

Who can compete?

What are the criteria? Novels? 20th century novels? Experimental 20th century novels?

Me. But I have yet to release my literary genius upon this world. The world is not ready. When the planets align in the correct order, when the moon turns to blood, my as yet unwritten magnum opus will be published and men feel cower in fear.

fucking answer

Homer
Dante
Cervantes
Shakespeare
Molton
Tolstoy
Proust
DFW

Henry James.

>DFW

I see what you did there.

dumb question user, you're just zooming in unnecessarily when it's obvious that somebody's opinion at least *could* be that Joyce is the top novelist ever, and therefore since OP user didn't specify anything further it is wholly reasonable that he's referring to the entire novel form

which brings us backlikewise it is wholly unreasonable that anybody could expect full concord about discussing whether Joyce is the top writer across the entirety of literature *OR NOT*, since that would be a pretty farfetched and certainly not an often encountered opinion, meriting much more than just anons throwing literary names back at OP in order to ''''prove him wrong'''', so this is a dumb postand besides there's at least one name there (Tolstoy) that just painfully misses the absolute bare necessities for the remotest qualification to ever belong with the others on that list

the answer to OP: , except it's not gonna be the guy who wrote it first, it's actually going to be me

sam harris

But actually its gonna be me tho

heehee moocow hehehe

Honestly, the only writer to have comparably redefined what the novel can achieve since Joyce has been Pynchon with GR, but his later work shows that he is ultimately an inferior artist to Joyce.

Anyone. The thing people who are cowed by the breadth of Joyce's knowledge don't understand about his work is how the core of it is universal. They focus on the distant moons of trivia instead of seeing that and completely misunderstand the man and his writing. Joyce was the everyman's writer and anyone can become Joyce.

An actual human, stop posting irish monkies

>Joyce was the everyman's writer and anyone can become Joyce.
That's fucking disgusting, this is why universal literacy was a mistake

Checkmate, pseudo.

not even fucking close nigger. if homer was 1% as good as Joyce he would be the #2 writer of all time. just shut the fuck up

no one. no fucking person can, has, or ever will compete. James Joyce is the best fucking writer of all time.

Me

>saying Tolstoy doesnt belong on that list
>implying Cervantes and DFW do
I will actually fucking fist fight you user. Time and place?

if my good friend Flann O'Brien had written more and eventually/inevitably gone the more experimental route I could easily see them competing

T. S. Eliot

You know I'm right

best modernist coming through

It's true you fucking turd

Go to sleep, Ezra

Dallas Fort Worth isn't a writer u dumbfuck

Hemingway out weighs Joyce in the aspect of influence IMO.

this desu

Dan Schneider pls.

The day will come when lowly plebs like you will be killed for speaking to a higher being like me in that tone

> people have written analyses and explanations longer than the actual book they analyze
>Joyce was the Everyman writer

Im your blackup user, let's kick this melvin's ass

Joyce is okay.

In his realm of aesthetic and philosophical approach, nobody comes close except Pynchon. The complex, highly intelligent, and broad reaching artistic style that is a loving parody and reflection of human life, that through all the sense of beauty never takes it all too seriously. Joyce was a real genuis.

Tolstoy could literally ever hope to be on any such list as just a diversity pick or something, and that's only because the rest of the world aren't intoxicated morons who do not know how to live their life if they aren't stuck waging war in a tundra somewhere
if it calms your conscience -- just as much as the rest of the world doesn't ACTUALLY care about Russian literature, it would appear that the average russkie LITERALLY doesn't care about any single work of art that doesn't come from Russia directly. It's like a cognitive deficit or something, where it actually becomes a bad thing for fiction books to strive to be larger than life, and not just interest-group-pushed tomes of catty gossip about imaginary people from Russia.

I wonder if that means that at least their pop music serves as a vehicle for philosophical discourse, and promoting such values of its authors that could be considered timeless

Proust
Kafka
Wallace
Musil
Bernhard

Just a handful who are his level

didn't know H.P. Cthulhu had a crossdressing phase in life