Math really isn't for everyone

Other urls found in this thread:

khanacademy.org/
ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/
youtube.com/watch?v=dxQR1tXDYkM
youtu.be/oKBjbTqVfUw
youtu.be/bFtcLJVN8yg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why do people keep trying to convince you it is though?

You make people waste their lives when giving such bullshit to other's

This, there is absolutly no reason a starbucks employee needs to know anyhing more than basic arithmetic.

what if he doesn't want to be a starbucks employee?

I meant the more advanced math, if you struggle with basic algebra how the hell are you ever gonna do more advanced math such as analysis or even calculus

Female Breeders only need enough math to follow cooking instructions.

Autists only need enough lifespan to be able to kill themselves, why are you alive?

(OP)
>Too Hard ;_;
Then Just Try Again!
But Study with the RIGHT Method.
Success is earned by Effort, not Talent.
You can recover/fill gaps quickly.
Go to Khan Academy
khanacademy.org/
then later MIT Online Courses
ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/

>Madoka Magica
Magic Girls who fail at math become witches.
youtube.com/watch?v=dxQR1tXDYkM

I was really stupid
youtu.be/oKBjbTqVfUw
>Sayaka-chan noooooo!

>Without time travel abilities
t. Stupid magical girl.
>If you could go back in the past like me, it would be super easy. I could try to save Madoka many times whenever I want.

Storytime?
>also, madoshit magica is for pedophiles

I have tried a lot, and that's the problem. Khan is good for basic understanding of things and gives easy exercises.

Then when it comes to non-trivial exercises such as things that would come in entrance exams, my brain goes numb. I can solve using the rules and exercises given, but when it comes to thinking outside the box i'm a failure

you have to do a lot of math before you can think outside the box, it's probably going to be years. don't quit because of that. also rejoin the server

Very good post, Chen.

i mean it is so

the goal of hs is to motivate you to go to college

then he picks up a book

It's because your base of practice is easy shit like khan.
If you want to get good you need to practice harder material

Thing is people my age or probably 80% of hs students do only their math books and also khan yet still get into univerisity. When I ask them for help they will sometimes go like "oh this fraction just goes in here it's easy, don't overthink it" like shit's trivial for everyone, then when I apply their meme to another problem it gets wrong because I didn't really understand, I don't have their intuition.
I end up doing problems, checking solution, if it's wrong try to figure out why and it's mostly obvious 90% of the time, but I sometimes don't understand

Take some simple shit like [math] \frac{2}{x + 3} = \frac{5}{x}[/math] lmao

>years
end me now, i might aswell redo whole highschool or kill myself and hope to be reborn and start from 0

how you know it's me rofl

No. Because if it is it is bad at that. I study pure math in college but if I had gone by what highschool calls "mathematics" then I would have though math was stamp collecting for retards.

That is not preparing me for college, that is persuading me not to. I only went to college because I had outside exposure of what real math was.

[math] \int_0_\inf e^{-st}.dt [\math]

Fighting on instead of choosing the easy way every time is why some people are more than just cattle. Cattle really doesn't matter, they are worthy only to those who know them personally. No one will remember them after their hypothetical grandchildren are gone.

On the other hand, fighting on is hard. Giving up is tempting, but that will only increase the amount of self loathing and suicidal thoughts. Trying to achieve something is a way to justify your existence. You know this as well as I do, little one.

If you struggle with basic algebra all you'll ever be good for is flipping burgers and screwing nuts and bolts together.
It's worth trying to get people past that level.

If you know at least basic trigonometry and calculus (up to limtis), physics and basic statistics you can getrough 99.9% of the problems you will ever encounter in life - be they physical (how much load will be on this beam for my toolshed?) or more abstract.

That specific problem isn't really intuition, it's cross-multiplication.

Basically, what you wrote is the same thing as 2x=5(x+3) which is a trivial equation.

You can get by math by learning these kinds of things, if you think math requires intuition, you're doing it wrong.

>2/(2x+3)=5/x

Since when?
Did you just move the 3 from the denominator to the numerator?
Because you clearly can't do that. That equation only works for x = -5.

Unless you meant that you were given that equation to solve and were unable to.
Honestly it wasn't such and easy one, I don't have any paper with me and I ended up using wolfram because I couldn't solve (2x)/(x+3)=5 in my head.

I'm and derp, it was so obvious. I don't know why I didn't try multiplying everything by (x+3).
I guess the 5 years since high school and now really show.

You still have a lot of learning to do
I was going to suggest practicing university exam entrance exam papers and shit like that but you've got gaps in your knowledge you just need to solve with experience

im in a similar position like you, except i have only 1 month left, until university begins.
Since two weeks i am learning maths and physics from morning to night.
I had time the whole year for doing that, but i had no idea that i would forget everything i learnt the evenings before an exam in high school.
I really dont know if im going to make it on time, i have spent the last 2 weeks on precalculus and algebra I, and it felt like it were a few days.
Fuck, maybe this isnt helpful at all without any hard exercises, but i really have no time for them...

This probably most motivational and real post here and I can see it from the finnish gif name, anything I say against this would probably be an excuse, I need to find a way to overcome my mental barrier of being easily demotivated when I fail a simple problem and a way to make algebra fun to get into university and pursue my dream of doing useless toplogay...

I'm not doing math to live as a non-brainlet, I like it and want to study it, and yeah I will try get further than my linear equations

> if you think math requires intuition, you're doing it wrong.

I am, and intuition thing is just an excuse to when I see my friends do 10x better than me while only studying few days before exams

Yeah lol, I wish i was that far up

I try this but whenever I do, there are problems on things I haven't even got knowledge in yeah, I will try to further it so I can solve every problem and hopefully get in...

-------

Overall your posts were nice and motivational I expected more memes about my brainlettery and a reason to give up but you guys were cool. Right now I am thinking of just non-stop studying every day but I know it won't happen so fast and I need to go at my pace, I honestly feel like time's my biggest problem and am anxious everyone is going to uni and I'll be nothing but a cashier. University is nowhere near my sight right now and all I can do is start studying for real from today on and hopefully get somewhere

What is the minimum IQ (approximately) required to understand calculus? 115?

Fug I'm in calc 2 so 120?

I struggled with math all the way through highschool. It was in first year on biochem where we had lingebra that i enjoyed math for the first time since elementary. I mean it actually was meaningful, not just about computation. I spent the year learning math from first principles and switched to pure math. Was the only one to get perfect score in first semester, but fucking intro to mathematical modeling ruined my scholarship in second semester, i got flashbacks from highschool and couldn't even force myself to go to the lectures, got D by some miracle and i hope i don't have to touch anything remotely close to it ever again.
I'm also bad at flipping burgers and screwing nuts and bolts together.
If you have a suggestion for a book on differential topology, plz halp.

100 will not even understand basic algbrea. you have overestimating the IQ score

I can't into multiplication tables :(

I always thought algebra and calculus were the same thing desu

Math is a practical metaphor for knowledge, but not much else.

You can post problems here and I can give you step by step solutions.

At least Calc I and II are completely doable for the average person.

Nothing is impossible. Yes you can. Just do it. Make your dreams come true.

Its beneficial for the human race that all humans push the boundarys of their intuition and intelligence to further advance our species.

The minimum iq is read the fucking book and analyze it

brains develop when they run into a problem they can't solve and stick with it and solve it. giving up won't do anything apart from make you feel even worse. taking a break is fine though.

rejoin server, need to talk to you in DM's. I think I know what your problem is and it's not something that will go away but it will help you deal with these breakdowns in the long run.

Niggers don't have the minimum iq to read
youtu.be/bFtcLJVN8yg

I mean at first attempt I suck at math, I'm more of a chemistry person myself. But when you apply mathematics to things you already enjoy it becomes a lot easier. At least that's how it is for me. I don't do well with raw math.

It's an unfortunate fact of life user. Not everyone can be the next Gauss or Euler. Some people are just simply smarter than others.

>It's an unfortunate fact of life user.
Unfortunate for you perhaps.

I was never properly taught how to do proofs. Everyone else just seemed to already know. I always found it very open ended and hard to know where to start. The books we used were too brief. Only after years of seeing small amounts of example proofs did I finally grasp the style of mathematical reasoning most proofs were written in. It's totally implicit though, most of the time. You basically have to know the moves ahead of time which is odd after solving equations for half your life. I'm not a brainlet though if I prefer algorithms.

>I'm not a brainlet though
You are though. You're probably autistic as well since you seem to have trouble dealing with implicit social conventions.

so what
I switched to EE and now I actually make money, lmao

Nope. I'm a genius, actually. What I understood implicitly was it was frowned upon to ask for help in a certain way, so I only did a few times to receive condescending answers.

Here's your (You) good sir

>it was frowned upon to ask for help in a certain way
What do you mean?

If all you're good at is applying algorithms, you're a brainlet.

>I was never properly taught how to do proofs
You're most definitely a brainlet if you think this needs to be "taught".

Berkeley Maths here
it really is taught.

>calculus (up to limtis)
Limits were the first thing we covered. Then differentiation, then integrals. Don't you think derivatives are a bit important?

I come from a philosophy/logic background. I was under the impression math was similarly rigorous, but it is and isn't. The reasoning is informal, almost intuitive, at least in its steps. If you're not acquainted with the style, you need to get used to it or be shown what it is. Your lack of awareness of this shows my inherent superiority over you.

>it really is taught.
To brainlets such as yourself.

>I come from a philosophy/logic background.
Same here.
>you need to get used to it or be shown what it is.
Only if you have some sort of mental deficiency.
>Your lack of awareness of this shows my inherent superiority over you.
Someone who has trouble grasping basic intuition regarding proofs simply can't be superior to me.

It's not the intuition. It's what to write down about the intuition. It's the lack of rigor and systematicity in how it is usually done. Your failure to grasp the intuition I'm currently communicating is further proof of your inferiority, as is your aggression.

>It's what to write down about the intuition.
Even that is an intuition regarding proofs. You not being able to grasp it is clearly a sign of your inferiority.

UC Berkeley or some other shit school?
I'm a freshman planning on math, gotta find my Veeky Forums bros in the math department.