Crashing lectures

So I got some free time slots and I saw there were some interesting lectures going on during these periods and want to attend them out of curiosity.

Has anyone done this before? Will I get caught doing this? What are the consequences if you get caught?

What kind of university

Mainland Europe.

no one cares just sit in

Should be a public building so do what you want.

this is probably the dumbest, most beta post i've seen on Veeky Forums

a) what kind of pleb shit university takes attendance at lectures?
b) what kind of pleb professor cares about lecture attendance, let alone somebody attending their lecture out of genuine interest?

lectures are generally not worth going to unless it's a great lecturer anyway, just find the recommended textbook and read that instead baka

>not walking around looking for sub notices, pretending to be a tenured professor, and handing out subversive propaganda to incoming freshmen

Are you fucking stupid?

Meh, I actually wanted to do this, but now I am afraid that I will be caught.

I did this in the UK. Only in large, 100+ attendee lectures. It was worth it

I have attended three universities in the UK and 2 of them required attendance.

which ones? i don't know of any good ones that actively monitor lecture attendance m8

What do you mean "worth it"?

I did the same thing two years ago when I attended a course for russian at a different university than mine. Obviously couldnt take the final and get my ECTS for it, but I did learn a lot.
I didnt tell anyone but the friends who went with me (who did study at that uni) and nobody cared since I worked along and didnt disturb the class.

I can only recommend it if it interests you! The teacher will be happy if interested people attend.

How do you even find lectures to attend, if they are not open/guest lectures advertised by the uni for everyone?

My uni has a website where we sign up for classes/figure out our schedule and you can see every class for every subject on there.

Ask the lecturer if you're worried. Doubt they'll care unless seating is limited. I sat in on chemistry lectures at UC Irvine no problem. Requested to test as well.

NO ONE CARES... go ahead and do it.

As in I didn't regret attending

Uni website timetable

>Requested to test as well.

isnt this the same as auditing? why do this anyway if youre not getting credit? is this level of autism real?

>So I got some free time slots and I saw there were some interesting lectures going on during these periods and want to attend them out of curiosity.

you mean auditing? you are usually more than welcome to sit in on a class at pretty much any university as long as their are empty seats. secondary education is actually free, they only charge for credentialing.

Just sit in.

It gets awkward if it's a small class size.

If you are questioned, just say you were thinking about taking the class and wanted to see what it was all about.

if it's a small class and the prof is aggressive enough he'll approach you and tell you to leave but that's it

what are russian courses like? is everything completely in russian?

In burgerland some unis require attendance be taken to monitor financial aid

>Has anyone done this before?
Sure.

>Will I get caught doing this?
"caught"? For what? Assuming you are a student at that university, surely you are free to take whatever lectures you damn well like?

Just ask the professor before, many won't mind as long as you aren't noticeable.

>Has anyone done this before?
I did once and accidentally took a midterm. I'm fucking retarded though so you'll probably have better luck than me.

I got caught one time. I crashed half way through the semester. The professor was this old woman doing a demo on changing magnetic fields causing current to flow through a wire.

She just looked up and made eye contact with me. Theres like 200 people in the lecture and she stops and says "excuse me, who are you?"

I stood up and said some bullshit like "I just wanted to see how your lectures are..." I then got stiff and nervous.

"excuse me, but if you didn't pay nearly a grand to see me, like all of these good, honest people, then get the hell out."

I got up and stood near the exit.

Everything she said was kind of a paraphrasing, but I remember clearly "I'll remember that thief." and I heard a lot of laughing.

She didn't remember me when I took that same class with her that spring.

At Berkeley, people would literally come in off of the street to attend lectures. No-one cared, the lecturers even encouraged it.

>Berkeley
So surpises here.

Both Oxford and Cambridge,
They also fine you if you don't attend

God damn, that's genius.

Email the professor or their assistant and ask them if you can come. Unless it's lab practice or something they will generally allow you to come and listen to lectures.

What the hell? What class?

I've audited classes before. Some of the professors knew, and they were fine with it. They liked that people were attending out of genuine interest and said I was more than welcome to sit in.

No that's completely unethical. You're stealing

To test the knowledge, nigga?

You should have stood your ground user

Fucking retard. Here's how you should have played it.

>"excuse me, who are you?"
>may we speak in private for a second
>I'm with the local PD, we're investigating a case of gender bias reported in this class
>I'm going to need you to apologize to me in front of the class to avoid blowing my cover
You're obviously from some cuck uni so I'm sure the professor would buy right into it

Just pretend you're a student in her class

>a) what kind of pleb shit university takes attendance at lectures?
Presumably ones that care if students are actually showing up and learning instead of fucking off to experience "the college life". At my school policy varies from professor to professor. I've had ones which have a portion of your grade based on attendance and I've also seen ones who take the position "If you think you can get away with fucking off instead of going to class you're welcome to try but don't bitch to me after the fact if you miss out on any material or information covered while you were gone."

>b) what kind of pleb professor cares about lecture attendance, let alone somebody attending their lecture out of genuine interest?
Depending on the room the lecture is in and the number of people enrolled in the class, I've seen professors kick people out for exceeding the fire marshal's legal student capacity for the class room. Although that's mostly a first couple of days thing and I suspect they're just using it as a trick to thin the ranks of students asking for add codes.

Just make sure you don't sit in if the lecture hall is completely full. That would be extremely unfair to the people who actually take the course. Other than that have fun. Unless you live in burgerland no one will give a shit. A lot of universities are considered public spaces, which includes lectures.

You don't pay for the lectures. You pay for a chance to sit the paper. This is an important distinction.

If the class is too small you will have to explain yourself. I can't imagine a professor asking you to leave. If they do just go find another fucking lecture lmao.

>look up professor on the school's site
>email them "lol can I sit in on lecture"
This isn't hard

i've done it before in classes with clicker questions out of boredom
i ended up just looking like that retard that forgot his clicker, but yolo

You could just attend a class an entire semester pretending you signed up for it. You would learn all the stuff there for free which could help you when you take the class for real or even you could just test out of the class now because you learned the shit already. I'm surprised no one does this.

Yous till have to pay for audits. What OP is saying is to go to the class for free. In huge classes no professor will find out.

No, just say you signed up for the class and play stupid when the Professor says he doesn't see you signed up.

>Eastern Michigan Uni.
Did this every free hour I got Junior/Senior year.
Witnessed others doing the same.
Pick classes you have friends/chill Profs in or that are In lecture halls were no one really knows anyone. Only talk when you have shit to say that others are/arent thinking AND contributes to everyone larger understandings.
Bready good way to not become a sheeple and learn alot.

>12/10 Would ClassCrash again

>oxford
literally never experienced this.
i went to a dozen lectures a year. what on earth were you studying??

>pay for education
you americans are cute