HOLY SHIT, I just had a vision of geniality

And I can't fucking believe it, this is the first time in my life that I'm understanding my own mediocrity.

So, it has been some weeks since I started my math degree, I was very excited and probably still am but today I realized I'll never be the kind of person that I've always dreamed of. Pic related is a problem that our Discrete Mathematics professor was talking about, no one in the class was able to solve it, he even gave us 5 minutes or so to try, there were even some girls trying to solve it in their notebooks, but in the end all effort was futile. But then this fucking piece of shit who didn't even opened his notebook said he solved and gave the answer 8. Everyone was shocked and the motherfucker even said he did it in his head and without using any of the advanced techniques we were learning at the time, but using only school knowledge about combinatorics. I've never been so shocked in my life.

Now I can finally understand why this board is so obsessed with IQ and intelligence, it means literally everything in this field, I doubt anyone in my class will even come close to the accomplishments of this man. Even worst, everyone is already his friend and the guy is shy and strange, they even call him "Jackie" now because somehow he reminds them of Jackie Chan meanwhile I have no friends in this shithole yet.

Translation of some parts of the image: Calculate "m" knowing that...

Funny, that's how I started to talk to people in the University.

The first month I spent all the time alone but when the exam results came, for some reason the teacher liked to give the results in order, first the higher and finishing with the lowest.

Then people started to talk to me and to this day they still think that I'm very smart, but in reality the only thing I am good at is math, in the rest of the subjects I am below average.

Or draw Pascal's triangle, that's also what he did. He says he did it in his head but you also admit he was weird, weird/autistic people are self conscious in general so are afraid of telling people about themselves, in this case about how he solved the problem. Maybe he didnt want to be frustrated by all the attention as he was explaining Pascal's triangle. I imagine it went something like
>Dios mio Jose how you solve that ese?
>I did in mi cabesa is all..
>Orale

>Know that [math]\sum\limits_{i = 0}^{m}{m\choose{i}} = 2^m[/math]
>Realize it can't require much calculation if you're only given five minutes
>Notice that the sum is a little off and that 254 is 2 away from a power of 2.

What else could it have been? The guy had some background knowledge and good instincts, nothing more.

Out of curiosity, OP, how did you approach the problem? What were you doing in those 5 minutes?

I gave up after some seconds of frustration.

Literally the question translates to254=2^m-2

Binomial expansion ~ middle school problem

The thing is, "friend", that the question was just the first line, everything below it was just shit I copied from the professor's solution.

Why not post the question, "friend"?

it's already there, the first line
he thinks he's mediocre but the situation is even more grim

I could easily do this shit when I was 15/16 :^)

No one's mentioned it, but your "m"'s are retarded

that's portuguese, not spanish

this, too, I think... and I don't even remember much about this stuff anymore

This. OP, if you remember the summation rule and notice that 254 is close to a power of 2, that question is straightforward. I bet he didn't even calculate it but made a "wise" guess of the answer.
Also, your m's are retarded OP

Just run through Pascal's triangle.

or was it a fraud and a setup? the biggest dupe of mankind!

It's entirely possible he's done a problem similar to this recently and has had time to work it out.
Generally, with probably a few exceptions, if someone seems really good at that subject or can answer most questions, it probably because they have done it before. Some people study the unit content before they start the unit, which is what I would be doing if you think you're not that smart and want to remain competitive.

What the fuck? What exactly is wrong with my m's? They seem pretty fucking normal to me.

The curl at the start of your m makes it look like a n and a m combined making it difficult to read.
I wouldn't be using the cursive form of m in mathematics. Or if you can't do it another way, I slightly italicize if I use m in hand writing so it's easily identifiable as to what kind of character I am referring to.

IQ is only good for calculation speed and recognizing patterns, you'll still have to know the rules. Assuming he had prior knowledge, this is easily solvable in less than 5 minutes no with writing required.

Keep practicing and you can do this in seconds. Don't make the same mistake I did during my combinatorics test and learn it overnight. Only reason I didn't fail miserably was because muh IQ.

with no writing required*
woops

Where are you from op?
Im in México thinking about getting into a math degree

are you fucking kidding me? I thought everyone knows that the sum of binomial coefficients is a power of 2 are you kidding me?

>I thought everyone knows that the sum of binomial coefficients is a power of 2

I didn't know that until I read this post

then you just learned formulas without any understanding.
If you had the slightest bit of intuition about the choose operator you would realize that the sum of possibilities to choose 1, 2, 3 etc. objects from n is equivalent to the number of binary numbers with up to n digits.

Kill yourself subhuman spics.
Get off this board.

Brazil

Holy shit, you are a genius.

user what that other guy did wasn't really impressive.
and it's just one shitty high school problem, jesus.

obligate us, faggot

>brazilians intellectuals

>Everyone was shocked and the motherfucker even said he did it in his head and without using any of the advanced techniques we were learning at the time, but using only school knowledge about combinatorics. I've never been so shocked in my life.
Combinatorics tends to be one of the harder subjects when first stumbled upon. Just get good by practicing.

>Orale
ORA!

no shit, sherlock. You can say that about everything

Yeah I don't even know that but like you're assuming you're like level two and he's level three when really he's like level one and you're level zero. I remember in academic challenge we'd get really complicated sounding questions that seemed really hard, then when I answered immediately the other team would flip out. I had people from other schools coming up to me just because they were so impressed and it was really just like nah I'm average and you're just a derp

>Text written in Spanish Language
OP is a Hispanic Fag

it's portuguese

They're americans and they're used to using print types rather than cursive.
Your Ms look perfectly fine to me.

t. italian

What is that image even meant to show?

Look, all there is to this problem is that the sum of each row of Pascal's triangle is a power of two such that row_n = 2^n. Any brainlet can solve this problem with that fact. I would stay away from this kid since he seems kind of arrogant.

The average IQ of Ameritards.

I see, I honestly don't remember much about Pascal's Triangle, I think I'll study about it as a complement. Thanks.