How fast can a mathematician go through a book?

So many books out there I won't read, not even my selected .PDF collection, because I'm a lazy bum.
Do you ever reach a level where you can go breeze through graduate textbooks of whatever difficulty?
I always tell myself I will eventually catch up by becoming smarter.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/0Haxt784wKw
youtu.be/bFtcLJVN8yg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grigori_Perelman
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

> by becoming smarter.
Lel

youtu.be/0Haxt784wKw

>Can't get enough time to read

Some Niggers don't have the minimum iq to read
youtu.be/bFtcLJVN8yg

These threads confuse me. Are you guys reading textbooks for fun? How are you motivating yourself to learn? Have you already graduated? Are you doing practice problems?

I always assume these threads are made by 20yo something white males who dopped out of college, are unemployed, have no future prospects, lives with their parents and do nothing but play vidya and masturbate to anime. They hope to improve their lives by downloading gigabytes of ebooks/textbooks they're to lazy to read.

>These threads confuse me. Are you guys reading textbooks for fun? How are you motivating yourself to learn? Have you already graduated? Are you doing practice problems?
I think that on Veeky Forums there are all of cases you described.
Anons on Veeky Forums there are mostly College or [High/Grad/Med/Vet/Pro/Tech] School Student Fags, but there are also many Graduated Fags lurking here.

Not fast enough to escape the loneliness

literally me

Yes to all of the.
Motivation? I like mathematics, what else.

Don't project sweetie.
I'm not a mathematician, that's it.

There are certainly some 20+virgins dropouts lurking there.
But I'm a 19yo College student (I like anime tho)

It's me.

Hire someone like Chad or Kamina to whip your ass into shape.

>Everytime you fail or slack off you fall victim to INCRDIBLE VIOLENCE

lol

buy or acquire actual books instead of downloading pdfs, faggot

you think it makes no difference but it does and it is significant. it also helps filter out the useless (you're less likely to pay for something if it's useless, leaving only the essential, whereas it is easy to download 6 gorillons worth of pdfs and find oneself overwhelmed)

Actually I print what I need, I don't use my PC to read them.
But don't get me wrong, I do study them but I'm a slowpoke and it takes me forever even at a few hours a day.
It's not like I can study 10 hours a day.

I'm still waiting for a response from professional mathematicians out there.

keep waiting then, your question is silly
if you want to learn something you read it
if you already got the main ideas somewhere else and you've worked through you foundations and intuition well, then of course you're going to read fast

>That picture
Reeeee. WAIS, WISC, and Stanford-Binet top out at 160. Most other IQ tests aren't reputable, but you can tell it's definitely bullshit if they're saying something like, you have an IQ of 180.

There is no reason to even keep track after 145. At that point you're getting into the 99.9...etc. percentile, making any comparison between such scores meaningless.

The only Hobo that I know with IQ above 160 is
Grigori Perelman
Who solved a Millennium problem but rejected both $1000000 Millennium Prize & Fields Medal.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grigori_Perelman
>In August 2006, Perelman was offered the Fields Medal[1] for "his contributions to geometry and his revolutionary insights into the analytical and geometric structure of the Ricci flow", but he declined the award, stating: "I'm not interested in money or fame; I don't want to be on display like an animal in a zoo."[2] On 22 December 2006, the scientific journal Science recognized Perelman's proof of the Poincaré conjecture as the scientific "Breakthrough of the Year", the first such recognition in the area of mathematics.

Why are you pretending that no one here knows of Perelman?

He sounds really smart. I'm sure he could get at least 140 on the Stanford-Binet. Unfortunately, whoever first came up with that 160+ number was most likely lying, unless he took some really obscure IQ test. Like I said, scores at 145 and above create outliers so far from the center that 147 and 157 might as well be the same.

I'm a PhD student at a decent but not top tier state flagship. I'm not a genius by any stretch.

I didn't really learn how to read a book through and through and do all the problems until I absolutely had to for my qualifying exams.

It really simply is just putting the time into it. Hours and hours, daily, for months. You can't just kind of wing it or coast on light reading / selected problems like you can for a course.

Some more thoughts:

No one 'breezes' through a graduate level textbook except freaks. If someone breezes through one of those, it's because it is already familiar to them either explicitly or indirectly because it's tangential to another field.

Don't PDF collect. What are you doing? Nobody does that. Just get the fundamental basic books you need and do those. Don't get a .pdf you can't or won't do, you'll just end up with an overwhelming backlog and shitty self esteem.

This.

>No one 'breezes' through a graduate level textbook except freaks.
I àm̨ ̶onę o̕f ̵tho͝se ̶fre̢ak͝ş.̸
Feel͝s͟ g̡oo͟d ̛m͞a͠n̶.

Wrong, i don't download ebooks i buy physical copies. I also read them.
>n-next year i will start college for sure

I'm trying to brush up on my math skills before I go back to school. Is that what you're doing too?

I'm a bit worried I'll end up going back and still be unprepared.

(OP)
>How fast can a mathematician go through a book?

Depends on how big a cannon you use.

Yes, I intend to get over at least algebra linear and multivariable calculus so I can use honors books when I get into uni again. The first time I enrolled (CS) i zeroed my first calculus test and never went there again.

Money and personal problems keeped me from going back earlier -- I think I might have to postpone my enroll next year again because I don't have enough money to live where I will study (college is free in my country but living expenses are high near the place I want to study).

Good luck, fellow user. Some things can't be rushed, keep things to your time and enjoy the things you can do now. If you are worring about doing bad again, try to remember the reasons you fucked up the first time, i am pretty sure it was not only because you were not academicaly prepared, for me it wasn't. I think that, even without the math skills, if I just had the life experiences I have now when I first enrolled, I never would have dropped out and would not have done so bad as i did that time.

how to smart?

have big brain, not dumb small forehead

>pdf collection
You mean a collection consisting of so many books you could barely read it all in a lifetime, made by an individual who obviously has only read a few, if any, of them? There is only one collection you will ever need, it's called libgen. It works like this: you come up with the subject you want to study, then look for a good book on the topic, you download it from there, and then you actually read it.

The collection is made by me upon:
* research.
* skimming of the book.
* previous reading of the book.

I have done and know more about math than could look like from OP.