Being on STEM major

>being on STEM major
>going to classes

Why do people do this? Do you need things explained to you? Most of the time going to classes is a waste of time. You could sleep 8+ hours, and studying by yourself is more efficient than passively listening to someone for 2 hours.

I'm on my 4th semester, I've been doing pretty great with my grades and I pretty much stop going to classes like on the second week of the semester.

What do YOU do? And why?

Because I am a brainlet and need someone to hold my hand.

I don't to classes and self teach myself.

But realize that not everyone learns material the same as you and I. So quit being a asshole and worry about yourself.

EE here.

For some courses I had good professors and going to the lectures was the better option.
For others the professors were not that good and I had plenty of material online, so I studied by myself.
Finally for a few of them the professors were bad and the online material wasn't good, so I had to force myself to go to classes and study by myself, and that was a pain.

>going to class to learn something
It's all about watching that dumb fuck in the back of the room getting humiliated by the teacher for being late and saying stupid shit, OP.

Because all of my classes except one lower your grade if you skip.

To ask questions of both my professors and peers, as well as developing a different perspective from someone that has more experience in the subject than I.

>why do professors exist?!? you can learn everything by yourself!!

>I'm on my 4th semester
Congrats on making it through the babby handholding classes. Now prepare to actually be challenged next semester.

Because when a lecture slide explains the ssRNA replication of poliovirus and the interaction that takes place between the 5' stem loop and all the VPs I need to know exactly what's going on and what happens during and afterwards. Many times online sources just describe things with text and some diagrams but these are often not enough for proper qualitative understanding. And regurgitating information is not gonna help much when you have to answer a question on the topic or conduct an experiment.

Attendance checks, pop quizzes, schedule changes, the lack of a clear schedule, lack of decent notes

Because it's stupid to pay to go to college to not attend classes. Just study at home then.

How about this? Go to class with some headphones and study there. You might look up and see something you missed in self study. You might even be ahead of the class, not fully understand what you are currently reading and can ask the professor for clarification while at the same time looking like a genius that knows a bunch of shit in advance of everyone else.

Obvious troll, nobody who actually care about their academic progression or understanding just skips classes.

If not a troll you're in for a huge surprise during the next semester or so when you're expected to know things that might not have been on tests but explained during previous classes.

You're going to be a jobless bitch who cries about being "too smart" for society when in all actuality you aren't any smarter or more qualified than the 32 year old meth head who is your manager at McDonalds.

I do this. The only reason I go to class is to see if I missed something or have studied too much.

>But realize that not everyone learns material the same as you and I.
Demonstrably untrue, and basic inference from how biology works would inform you that the likelihood is low that anyone except people with disability learn significantly differently from you. If you get less out of the same material everyone else was presented with you're just lazy and not paying enough attention.

Not all of us are introverts, you know.
Specially the engineers.

I, for example may know the subject, but when you have good teachers that actually make you enjoy the class and you learn much more from their experience, again, this is more common en engineering than just theoretical degrees.

On the other hand, there are some teachers that are not worth a shit(like my Reactors teacher), I prefer to study by myself reading the lecture notes posted on the common plataform and literature.

I'm taking Plastics and Compostires ATM. And we don't have any lectures or anything in class, everything is self study, we gather in class to further concretize the things seen in the literature and learn from the experience of the teacher as a group.

After the first semesters are over, and the people who don't give a fuck drop out, things start getting better.

Someone to hold my dick.

Tl;dr
"Give it the benefit of the doubt so you have no excuses when shit goes south"

You obviously have no knowledge of processing differences other people have.

Never said anyone got less out of the same material, dipshit. Some people can get the same material by going to lecture and listening, for example, instead of reading it on your own. Their are some lazy learners sure, but you can't associate laziness to someone who learn by reading a page once through.

I self studied my first year. As a result i was always under the impression that i was performing poorly due to not being able to compare myself to anyone else. It was quite stressful. I started attending lectures now in my second year, and i quite like it. I'm also basically an ubermensch compared to the other students due to my severely autistic study of the previous year, which is a nice confidence boost.
While it might not be as efficient time-wise to attend lectures it is definitely more enjoyable.

Literally that person is me

OP must go to a shit institution.

Competent professors reflect what they've taught on their exam- with exceptions like clearly defined systems like mathematics, and in some cases physics.

Any course with written response however is usually a lesson on theory as much as it is a lesson on the formality of a subject.

An example would be in some kind of biology setting, having to explain potential selection pressures given some data from an experiment. The one who wrote the exam will have a very specific set of priorities and weights (some pressures being heavier than others) based on an immense amount of data that is impossible to have without the experience of the exam-writer. Thus, without guidance from one with such experience, and knowledge of theory, it would be impossible to answer based only on what can be gleamed through texts of fact.

Most of the upper level physics lectures I went to were just watching professors copy problems off a piece of paper onto the white board and then turning around and asking if there were any questions. Just email me that shit. For the labs they would hand you some instructions, tell you where the apparatus was, and then go back to their office. It was a total waste of time. I actually had a professor once tell everyone that there were too many people in the class so don't come by his office because he didn't have time to help that many people. I can't believe I was stupid enough to go into debt for this.

EE here, I was fortunate enough to have very good EMAG teachers. Shit teachers for everything else though. Most of the time you're reading out of the book anyways or watching youtube videos, so I don't know what your point is.

I did that in my second semester in CS, here are the results:

I failed the second time in the easiest subject
I failed in 2 exams, both have 30% failing quote at worst

Sure, it is a waste of time if you are smart enough and can motivate yourself to learn concentrated (I learned too, 4 hours every day for 3 months, but mostly half assed), but for the average student with a non genius IQ it's better to go to lectures and exercises, trust me anons, I tried it, I'm average (exact IQ: 100, tested when I was 12, I'm 23), I failed big time, if you are not really really smart, go to lectures, I must know put an extra Semester on only because I did that experiment of not going to lectures.

>not having good professors
>implying their perspective and research/industrial experience from the last 30+ years isn't more valuable than following the derivations from your textbook
That's why you're never going to be truly successful. You're going to get all your knowledge straight from the text, and have no historical perspective. And different professors think differently and have different approaches to brainstorming and problem solving, so listening to them go through explanations/experiences/research goals is valuable to gain different perspectives

it's also clear OP is a first or second year student, because any difficult course would require you to interface with the professor whether it be due to research projects, difficult material, etc

I go to class because I like it and also I like the chance to talk to the prof after class about shit I wonder about.

Well, everything the teacher talks about is pretty much what will be asked about on exam, so I attend.

But yeah, you can technically study at home fine.

i'm 100% sure that i could teach myself better and save a lot of time by not going to the lectures, but i'm paranoid that i will miss some kind of information that will only be released in class about homework or tests.

Because I need a degree.
>/thread

Lectures get 10x useful if you read notes before. Lecturer then pints on important moments and help you to understand it better.

>studying by yourself is more efficient than passively listening to someone for 2 hours.

this is wrong

Matter of the prof. My Quantum prof was superb, and world leading, and generally spoke about his research rather than anything relevant tot he course per se.

You'd just look like an autistic try hard who doesn't know that there's a time and a place for certain questions.

this

Getting B's isn't "pretty great." Also, it helps me develop good relationships with my professors (relationships that, in time, turn into research).

My school literally requires you to attend for your grade. No attendance means no recorded grade. It's so damn stupid.

Exactly this. Then I go to a class and realize I'm not missing anything but the anxiety of skipping a class makes me go to the next one anyway.
Repeat

some profs are just good speakers and give interesting lectures
also I'm a lazy enough not to read stuff, but still can pay attention to a lecture

I go to the class to see what subject the professor is talking about.

And no, even if the professor is amazing, I just cannot learn from him, I have to reach the conclusions by myself.