Skip calc 3

>skip calc 3
>take differentials
>didnt take linear algebra since i dont need it to graduate
>going to take calc 3 next semester
How fucked am I this semester and next semester

Most intro to differential equations courses don't use 3D calculus at all.

Linear algebra does make Calc 3 a little easier, but not as much as you'd think.

You'll be fine.

What the fuck are you taking this semester then? Gendet studies?

linear algebra is far from necessary to pass calc 3

Differential Equations

I took DE before Calc 3. I think differential equations are really their own seperate subject - not only an application of calculus, but something much more different (god dammit I can't think of a better word here). They're both about the same level of difficulty, but I found DE much more fascinating than later calculus classes. Also, finishing one doesn't necessarily prepare you for the other class. Contrary to what you might think, DE actually has very little to do with traditional calculus.

I never took linear algebra. Many uni majors include DE and calculus but not linear algebra. I've never actually seen it required except for math and comp sci majors.

Wait wtf is calc 3 then? I always thought Americans just called their undergrad DE's course calc 3.
I'm not really sure how you can get a proper treatment of DE's without linear algebra.

>not taking Calc 3 and Linear Algebra simultaneously for the ultimate math red pill

>Wait wtf is calc 3 then?
Multivariable calculus

Actually linear algebra doesn't teach you anything; you just memorize a couple processes and reuse them with different definitions throughout the entire course.

If you go to a shit university.

Not really, it's just over hyped matrix algebra

>I'm not really sure how you can get a proper treatment of DE's without linear algebra.
Well, I did. Linear algebra was never required for any of my classes, but I still consider DE to be one of the most enlightening classes I've taken; I definitely got my money's worth regardless of prerequisites.

>wtf is calc 3?
It gets a bit tricky between high school and college. IIRC they have some overlap but the college calc 3 goes well beyond the one in high school. For high school I believe it's
Calc 1 - limits and derivatives
Calc 2 - integrals
Calc 3 - multivariable calculus
For some reason I'm completely drawing a blank on what the format is in college, but I'm pretty sure I took multivariable calculus, and then something even further than that involving really weird shit like Lagrangians and whatever. I think most colleges split up multivariable calculus into two parts. The first part is easy and intuitive; the second part is infuriating and practically incomprehensible, imo.

Did they just cover things like matrix diagonalization, linear independence, etc. in the DE's course then?

Lmao, what uni did you go to?

Average state school. Also, I'd like to note I'm a CS major, so I go on rate my professor to find the easiest professors for non CS classes.

>Average state school
Well there's your problem. Get yourself a good linear algebra textbook and learn it properly. Then you can come and talk shit.

I have the one by David Lay. I'm thinking about buying a different book and seriously learning it because people here and on /g/ say it's pretty important for CS.

Nope. I'm looking at my textbook now; hopefully I can remember which parts we covered. I think it was:
-First-order equations
-Equilibrium solutions and Euler's method
-Higher-order linear equations
-Short introduction to systems of equations
-The Laplace transform (fucking loved this part)
-Power and Fourier series approximation, mostly done on computers

I'm just now noticing the section on Eigenvalues, which we definitely skipped. I might go back to it if I finish linear algebra.

OH, oops. We did do a bit of linear independence stuff. I don't remember wishing I'd known more math going into it, though.

So this was like a first-year intro course then?

Well, technically I think it was second-year, and I don't think it was just an intro. That was the only DE class I ever needed to take, and I never heard of any others. What, did we only cover baby math or something?

Yeh it looks pretty dumbed down for a second year course. You sure it was like "differential equations for engineers" or something like that?

Nope, it was the real deal. What about it sounds so dumbed down? The professor might have left a few things out if they included too much linear algebra, considering it's not a prerequisite.

We went through a good portion of the book, and it was quite rigorous. It was the first class for me where proofs actually meant something.