YLYL Veeky Forums edition

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.ams.org/inclusionexclusion/2017/05/11/get-out-the-way/
theliberatedmathematician.com/cv/
theliberatedmathematician.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/PiperThesisPostPrint.pdf
web.mst.edu/~lmhall/WhatToDoWhenTrisectorComes.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Do mathematics textbooks go downhill once you step out the palace that is Rudin?

What do you mean "go downhill?"

I don't get it, and what is this about? Sauce?

Piper Harron wrote a racist and sexist blog post for the American Mathematical Society.
>blogs.ams.org/inclusionexclusion/2017/05/11/get-out-the-way/

Naturally, a lot people were pissed off, and they started to research her qualifications.
>theliberatedmathematician.com/cv/

That pic was from her PhD thesis which you can read online, and it is filled with way more examples of nonsense.
>theliberatedmathematician.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/PiperThesisPostPrint.pdf

>welcome students to first day of Real Analysis II course
>force everyone to fill out a survey so they know their current privilege level
>hand out syllabus
>rant about how mathematics is racist

>someone with extensive math qualifications
>"the sum of all positive intergers is -1/12"
>facebook dwelling normalfags with high school math qualifications, if that
>"positive + positive can't equal 0 stop lying"
Really boils the piss

She is right though. If society had its natural way, only white aryan chads and blondes would be on the top of society.

Really bad thread.

I'm using stewart's book for my calculus go away.

Stewarts book on Galois is one of the best there is, but I am a self acknowledged brainlet

>yfw you're both brainlets and you realize ramanujan has as many math qualifications as the facebook losers

>"the sum of all positive intergers is -1/12"
no one with extensive math qualifications would say this.

the sum of all positive integers is divergent. using analytic continuation (specifically the Ramanujan summation), we can assign it a value of -1/12.

this is NOT THE SUM. this is a value assigned to it using a different method.

Not the same Stewart

Yeah, no. Look up who wrote your books.

>math is not apolitical

>last one's not "looking at aziroazide azide"
The cranium's not expanded enough.

(((shellah)))

My nigga Integrate

>not making FOOF go FOOF

This isn't funny. If I saw that in one of my textbooks I'd be fucking pissed.

It's right in physics, which is what matters. If the math doesn't work, you tickle your temples and find a way to make it work. Pic related.

I think the reason that guy's video gets so much shit is because he does something that he says should be obvious but I think is actually wrong. He said something like, an infinite sequence of 0,1,0,1,0,1 would give a result of 1/2 once computed. But that isn't right... right?

jesus christ what the fuck

see

web.mst.edu/~lmhall/WhatToDoWhenTrisectorComes.pdf

Funniest thing I've ever read.

There appear to have been absolutely no repercussions for her idiocy. Why?

I think she is a "family hire." That's the only reason I can think of. Pic related is her husband.

People sperging out about this without seeing what it's referring to are brainlets. There's literally nothing wrong with writing this if the proof is obvious.

That's pretty good

My calculus book author is Ron Larson.
Stewarts book was algebra and trigonometry.

Thing is, your traditional view of how math works doesn't have to apply across the board. Math isn't always as universal as people say, really. As an example - when doing real calculations, there is no square root of negative numbers, but in certain circumstances, imaginary numbers are used and are very useful for getting real life applicable results.

For the 1/2 sum, it's just a Ceasaro sum.

I think that's the joke. Biologists are so inept at mathematics that they don't know about numeric integration methods, so they "invent" them.

I think it might actually make sense to not integrate there. The functions appearing there are likely to not be perfect/continuous ones, but messy ones of sorts. I dunno without reading the entire paper desu.

Most numerical methods would still do just fine even if the function isn't strictly continuous.

What if it spikes and settles all over the place at random intervals so that its shape is a constantly-changing jumbled mess? How would they know what to do then?

Have an extremely small step and consider excluding values if the difference between the values at the two points are unrealistically high.

Imagine if someone had their mathematician friend bang that out for them in like an hour. The paper would start out like this one, but go much further in terms of complexity and length. You'd be able to get dozens of pages without any computations or formulae. And, right before the conclusion, you could make a small leap of logic and present the easy-to-use formula that computes definite integrals in seconds - described using very simple English and with no symbols or numbers, of course.

Do you think the professors could be so ignorant that they'd accept it?

Source?

>Le aryan meme
There is not ONE blonde important scientific figure. Get fucked sub-haireds

Google is a thing.

its from supergravity by freedman

Luckily intelligent societies are different in their choosing of survivals than those of animals, so intellect and other abilities are appreciated instead of only the ability to pass down genes.

Too bad that one's not going well for you either :c

Was no help to me whatsoever, just glad i can sell it on to people who think it is useful.

>unfinished rubik's cube in the back
Made me giggle

>top row an infinite number of people die
>bottom row you save 1/12th of a person

no contest

it's illegal to take actions against blacks or women

im here to L not to R

then raugh

>I don't like handlebars, doesn't matter why
That part got me

Wrong. Applying the Riemann zeta function to the top track saves 1/2 of a person. This doesn't mean you should take the top track though as tinkering with the bottom track and spacing out the victims, one can change 1 + 2 + 3 +... into 1 + ( 1 + 1 ) + (1 + 1 + 1) + ... Since addition is commutative we can remove the () and get the same sequence as the top row. This means that it doesn't matter which track you take as each saves 1/2 of a life. The optimal approach is actually to attempt multi-track drifting as successful doing so will save an entire life

What level is "using the glassware to drink out of?"

Where is the joke

The joke is a meme based off of reddit, alot of normalfags use it.

It is a variation of the original meme: >He protec he attac

I forgot how it ends although.

numerical methods exist for exactly these situations
these biologists are just fucking inept and the "journal" who published this "research" should be shut down

>a small leap of logic
>in a mathematics paper
uhh

i want to strangle who ever wrote this heresy

is that the re-invention of integrals by some clueless biologist?

based

Physician not biologist.

>mathematics paper
It's biology.

Best thing is it isn't even integration, it is a bastardised version of simpsons rule

>BA in romance languages
>MA in mathematics
How did that happen?

>simpsons rule
If only, it's just the trapezoid rule only without the realization that a rectangle with a right triangle stuck on top is a trapezoid.

So it's the rectangle-with-triangle-on-top rule.

my sides

holy shit this is bad