How do you get through reading a book you don't like reading?

How do you get through reading a book you don't like reading?

you don't, just drop it

time is too valuable

The same way I get through a life I don't like living.

>only things I like are worth doing

Only book I've had this problem with in years was Snow Crash. Apparently it's supposed to be satire? I was told that along with Neuromancer, Snow Crash is the quintessential cyberpunk novel. Well I'm glad I picked Gibson's books first because I thought Snow Crash was trash and it might have put me off the genre had I read it first.

With pain and difficulty.

Yes?

Just turn the pages until you get to the end. You don't have to read it.

This. It's your fuckin' life. People who tell you, you have to slough through shit you hate are lying to you.

Do it! Just do it! Don't let your dreams be memes.

>implying reading books is an activity you should enjoy

Here's what you do, OP. Just take the book, flip through the pages, throw it around a bit, crack the spine, then put the book on the shelf and read the Wikipedia summary. Anyone who asks, tell them you read the book.

>being a filthy hedonist

You just do it. It isn't a difficult feat. I read a horrendous book about once a month, sometimes once every two months, just to remind myself what I SHOULDN'T aim for whilst writing.

fuckin' fight me

adderall

Veeky Forums

reading as an analogy to video game where books are the levels that one progresses through, facing increasingly more difficult bosses along the way

I really hate this (fill in the blank meme book) but if I don't read the whole thing I'll never save the princess at the end of gravity's rainbow

You're not going to like it when you get your ass kicked. Why risk it?

Fuck is wrong with hedonism?

just keep reading. it's really not that big of a deal.

You just gotta do it.

I'm a pragmatist and I'm not going to read shit that bores me to death, be honest with yourself.

>hedonism = selfishness

Sure thing buddy. Enjoy being a deluded pseudo-Christian

Currently going through a poorly written fantasy book. Trying to focus on the world building instead of the fucking awful narrative. For example, the author actually used the word 'portal' to describe a vagina.

>I'm a pragmatist
>utility is bound to enjoyment
Fuck off, underage pseud.

>implying taking your happiness into consideration is selfish
>implying prioritising your happiness precludes fulfilling social obligations
>implying neglecting your happiness is the same as duty over self
>implying
OI

>he doesn't enjoy utility
No, YOU fuck off underage

One page at a time
I read analyses and discussions as I go to remind myself that it is worthwhile

You force yourself you fucking weakling.

Considering your happiness, i.e. by your own might (virtute) acting toward your happiness, is and can only be selfish. How could it be your happiness otherwise?

I say, again, that you are using the word "selfish" in a Christian way. You use "selfish" to mean what is called in German "gefuhrsklaverei," or "desire-slavery." You, by doing what you do not enjoy, i.e. by denying one of your qualities, have done nothing but delude yourself. This is what makes you a religious person, a besessenmensch, a bound man.

Red Rabbit is doing the same for me but i just try to read at least a chapter a day

>this

Not finishing a book used to really bother me. When I didn't like the book a would just create a goal date to finish it by and force myself to read x amount of pages a day to finish.

I got to a point where I realized my book queue was so long I'll die before I ever read it all. So fuck it. If I don't like it a drop it and move on. Seems like a rational decision to me so I can sleep at night.

I think about how it will feel to look down on someone for liking the book. This gives me the motivation I need to finish it.

Correct

I dont. I put it down because why the fuck wouldnt I

I read books that I like reading
Trust me user, don't make it a chore

Unless you're talking about homework or something, in which case underlining and making marginal notes is really helpful for staying engaged

hmmm
I like it

depends on why you don't like it, if you dislike it because it's trash shit that has no value to you, then sure, just drop the damn thing. if it's say, moby dick, i'd say keep going and quit bitching. some shit is difficult and boring but in the end it's worth it. i think you know which books those are without having to ask me.

>Apparently it's supposed to be satire?
It's a satire of the cyberpunk genre, not a satire of anything meaningful. It's a silly book, don't take it too seriously. I found it very easy to read but I also found it quite funny.

To the people saying you don't have to read a book you don't like, sometimes you have to read books due to forces beyond your control (i.e. college or work). I'm reading some nationalist Filipino literature atm and want to poke my eyes out.

>Considering your happiness, i.e. by your own might (virtute) acting toward your happiness, is and can only be selfish.

This is stupid. When your happiness is not a detriment to others. People who try to monopolize your priorities are selfish.

Prioritizing your own happiness is the only way to maximize your own output into the community. Having a job you like, living in a house that isn't falling apart, being able to indulge in a few interests, and being financially stable allows for a person a foundation with which he can say "now I can help others". Without it, you'd only burn yourself out. How can you give money if you don't know when you'll eat next?

Denying yourself is not morally superior and I don't care what religious texts say. Overindulgence- sure. Demanding others to cater to your pleasures, yes. But happiness and pleasure are two very different things.

"Happiness is morally reprehensible" is absolutely retarded. Very catholic. Happiness is measured by what a person thinks he needs to be happy. Yeah. Some people think they need a mansion and a ferrari and a supermodel wife, but that's retarded too. Happiness, in it's base form, is the fulfillment of necessities: A house, enough food, a loving relationship, a job you like, time and means to express yourself.

Anyone who tells you that wanting these things and working towards them is selfish is a liar, and you're a moron for believing them.

Also, I'm german, so shut the fuck up, you're embarrassing yourself.