Emdrive explanation

They are now on the third generation Emdrive?
I thought it was snake oil physics?

interestingengineering.com/emdrive-rocket-technology-uses-electrical-power-create-thrust/

>MemeDrive explanation.

No one know for now, not even NASA brains that published last year.

No, it was completely thrown into the bin due to it doing nothing at all.

It cooks the food from the inside!

>third generation snake oil bottle
eehhhh, I'll believe it when it works

An "engine" that produces thrust in the same direction, even if you point it in another direction, is not producing thrust, i is helping you spot a flaw in your thrust-measuring equipment.

The blue glow is nicely sci-fi-y, though.

>The blue glow is nicely sci-fi-y, though.
It's not an actual Emdrive in the picture, but the prop of a movie that was inspired by it.

>They are now on the third generation Emdrive?
[citation needed]

Still -- a nice touch, they should incorporate it into the "real" one.

Also, theremin music would be cool, if they can hide a Bluetooth speaker in there somewhere.

The blue glow is so that there is some way to tell when it is turned on.

I still think it is slightly negating the pull of the universe's gravity and general inertia. That would account for thrust in only 1 direction regardless of orientation.

>but the prop of a movie that was inspired by it.

TV show called, "Salvation" on CBS. Looks like shit as normal.

oh look, it's this thread again:
1. no the memedrive doesn't work it's an error/miscalibration in the measuring equipment
2. the media hubbub around the memedrive is a psyop battle between china and usa, no actually research is being done if you bother scratching the surface

would only work if the universe's background gravity is somehow magically different and distinguishable from earth's gravity, and that's just silly

You missed the "inertia" part too. Everything is moving through space right now. Negate that totally and an object will appear to fly off in one direction; when actually the universe is moving away from it. It is a frame reference thing, it becomes a fixed point. I think one of the shielding units in the Skylark series uses that. Anyway, the EM Drive could be tapping into that very slightly ().

Still awesome that ACTUAL ion drives operate with a blue glow.

that is still silly and nonsense

Inertial dampening is a common sci-fi trope and that is one of the few original sources for why it is such a trope.

>I thought
that's where you went wrong

>Shawyer designs new emdrive, explains how it works

lol it's nothing

Even if the emdrive works it doesn't change the fact that Shawyer is a fucking retard.

Many great discoveries have happened through serendipity.

yeah and if the memedrive worked, they could have just shot it off in the direction opposite of the asteroid, decelerated, flipped around, and hit the asteroid at something percent C. This would completely vaporize the asteroid, turning it into a harmless puff of plasma by the time it hit earth.

Reactionless drives are OP

Of course if they really cared about physics, they would have used Project Orion

That blue glow is wasted energy.(Not much though)