Explain to me why this wouldn't work

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_pressure
youtube.com/watch?v=Rx_T7kasdwM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i didn't even know the left works

Because you can't cover up the wholes on the right. The photons will just go through the gaps in the atoms.

it doesn't work with light but it works with sound.

You can use flowing fluid to make sound only propagate in one direction in some acoustic metamaterials

photons have no mass and the only force it can exert is by its momentum which would be minuscule to make a difference

The one on the left is due to pressure but light has no "volume" therefore the right would not work

Bernoulli would probably say that the light wouldn't go any faster because its pressure can't be reduced as the pressure of light is constant. (Pressure in place of speed)

op, can we pump light into a container until it breaks the container?

>Using fluid dynamics on photons

no, advection is not a sound wave

lol because light can't be described as a fluid stupid.

Needs a troll face somewhere on the diagram.

It COULD work if the refractive index of the inside of the hose is 2 and the refractive index outside of the hose is 1. But then the "normal" speed of light would actually be less than the measured speed of light in a vacuum, so your diagram would be wrong.

>this old shit again
If you're gonna troll at least make something new

because light only goes through those special water-saving shower heads

Water->fermions
Light->bosons

fuck off reddit

Gravity would not be strong enough to make the balls fall. And even if it was, it would be too strong for the balls to rise.

really? never squeezed a hose?

gravity affects balls on the right too
bouyancy affects balls on the left too

Because photons have a fastest speed that they can go which is 299 792 458 m / s due to them having no mass. The photons will either get through, be absorbed or be reflected.

To have buoyancy generate work, the more massive thing (water) has to replace the position of the lighter thing (balls).
This means that the water is moving downwards, and the energy essentially comes from its potential energy.
If you don't allow water to move by having gates, then it doesn't generate energy.
Another way to think about it is to see that lifting a ball out of the water causes another ball to take its place. The energy of the new ball displacing water is equal to the amount released by one ball going out.

Light does not build pressure
Get fucked

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_pressure
Get fucked

Why two gates? If they work properly, you only need one, and there would be less drag from a single gate.

This is just plain retarded. Why would the light gain more energy from reflecting?

>radiation
>light
Idiot.

It does not gain more energy from reflecting, reflecting allows you to store mad amounts of light energy in the container to be released when you want to burn your name across the moon.

Try to keep up.

Get fucked, scientists.

Maths-1
Science-0

To answer the op in simple terms, water molecules don't mind pushing and shoving each other around to make the ones in front move. Photons don't interact that way, and they get absorbed by the pipe walls.

Electrical current would work though. Ohm's law is V=R/i so squeezing the pipe (upping resistance) increases the pressure (upping the voltage potential).

The left works because of water pressure. Light exerts virtually zero pressure.

What with the speed of light being a fundamental limit and all, although you are right about water and pressure, it would not matter if light built up pressure. If it did, it would emerge with more energy, but it would not go any faster, it would emerge at a higher energy state.

>repeat to infinity ==> π=4
It's a lot of fractal shit, not an actual circle. But yes, p is still equal to 4.

I like that one

We can make the ether go faster

>this whole post

how fucking new are you

>not knowing what light is
馬鹿

would this actually work?

what a complete new fuck

problem science?

speed of light is constant dipwad

Because left is because of pressure

Isn't this one actually real? I remember learning that it we figure out how to travel at light speed, an issue would be that energy would collect in front of the ship as we travel, and slowing down would fire that energy as a beam that could potentially melt planets.

That is correct. This is the reason we don't really try to fly at the speed of light -- if we did, we could not come home without destroying the Earth.

are you stupid as fuck?

rhetorical question.

photons have the ability to pass through each other. Instead of building up at the nozzle and causing a greater pressure, like water molecules, photons will hit the covered half of the nozzle and be reflected or absorbed by the material (the nozzle heats up), etc.

It kinda feels like deja vu
I wanna get away from this place I do

Is radiation pressure constant?

The energy to move the balls through the gates will be equal to the energy consumed pulling the balls down through the water. The system would essentially lock up due to the friction of the bearing at the center of the wheel. Even with an efficiency of 1, friction-less surfaces/gears and water that does not evaporate, adding a generator will cause the machine to stop running, since it is consuming energy.

Water has mass, light does not.

Schrodinger cat is BSAF.

>The photons will just go through
Not is you use lead, which is super-conductive to photons

>fuck off Reddit
Man this got meta real fast.

This is basically correct.

You're all idiots.

This guy almost has it right.

Basically, even with the gates, water will still move down. When the top gate is closed and the bottom open, the balls bunch up between the gates, as the water there moves into the bottom tank. Then when the top is open and the bottom closed, a ball or two will move up and it's volume between the gates will be replaced with water. That will repeat until the top tank is empty.

Basically this would actually turn for a little while, but it would generate less energy than it took to get the water in the top tank to begin with.

It does work. That's called a sterling engine.

explain to me why this wouldnt work

Some great memories in this thread. Glad to see some of these troll physics comics are preserved

>*ignore condition of continuity
lulz

String theory is false

Reminds me of youtube.com/watch?v=Rx_T7kasdwM

Newton third law.

Nobody would use the one on the right, because noboyd wants peepee on their clothes.

Says you

Troll science is science without math

Photons aren't a fluid you cuck

As a super power being to turn light into a fluid a weak or powerful ability

the speed of light is a universal speed limit.
You'd just start generating heat on the cover.

>photons have no mass
You have to be over 18 to post here.

Why is the right filled with piss

>hurr durr what is an eclipse and why does it strengthen light
found the brainlets

c is still c even moving at 99% of c, the time just stops for you.

Light doesn't really get affected by pressure.

brainlet here, what is the magical science here? Creating an imbalance in energy by opening / closing that door for high energy vs low energy particles?

>he has no penis

Mass flow rate conservation. Basically, higher volume at a lower speed = lower volume at a higher speed. Doesn't work with light because light has no mass, which is pretty vital to the whole 'mass flow rate' thing.

It's invoking Maxwell's Demon, a thought experiment where a hypothetical entity could open and close a barrier to sort between high and low energy particles.

Which would decrease entropy without any corresponding increase in entropy elsewhere. The resolution to the paradox is that such an entity requires energy itself and so itself would produce entropy.

Bump

I thought the whole idea of calculus is that you can do stuff like this. How come this one doesn't work?

That's almost how biological ion pumps work. Ion pumps can be described as gates that spend energy to selctively let ions through against their concentration gradient.

>How?
>Because fuck science, I'm blond.

>Light is not a liquid

This isn't actually the circumference of the circle; just an infinite amount of right angles.

Just aim the beam towards the sky instead of Earth when you teleport lmao

It would work for finding the area though, which could be used as a backdoor way to find pi.

Under certain conditions.
In order for an argument like this to work, you would have to PROVE that the curves getting closer together means that their lengths get closer together, which is obviously not the case.