Employment

What is the ideal job for the denizens of Veeky Forums?

I'm about to start student teaching in the fall because I wanted to inspire young people to read and write, but I'm pretty sure I have chosen the wrong path. What should I do now?

Other urls found in this thread:

washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2015/12/21/tumblrs-meme-librarian-has-the-best-job-on-the-internet/?utm_term=.fd243ddb2ff7
youtube.com/watch?v=rqTE-ig7NhY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

teaching

Work the docks.

sounds comfy

write articles/ books

>What is the ideal job for the denizens of Veeky Forums?

Writing. Duh.

librarian

desu this will only depress you because you'll be aware of how much garbage people read. Although it's still more Veeky Forums than most jobs.

Anime appraiser

What? Feeling superior to others because of my hobbies/taste is literally all I live for.

10/10 job desu

Formulation chemist

After years of studying Internet Lore, I hope to be a scholar of memes.

I'm going to be a stem grad student for probably the next decade of my life. I think it'll be great, I get to live on/near a uni campus in a comfy apartment and devote all my time to researching or reading or taking a few classes.

Yes please say hello to your future coworker

washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2015/12/21/tumblrs-meme-librarian-has-the-best-job-on-the-internet/?utm_term=.fd243ddb2ff7

How do you pay for this?

Something that pays well while requiring relatively little effort.

I've worked in data entry for three years and I'm close to ending my life. I just applied to train as a librarian at the age of 26. Will people think I'm old & retarded?

>old & retarded
>librarian

I think you can answer that

Wage-labor is degenerate.

I'm a grad student, it takes a lot of self-discipline and god help you if you have a bad supervisor

Grants pay my tuition plus a small stipend
If you don't live in your parents' basement you can typically pick up grunt work grading papers to scrape by

What to do if you're an english major who hates writing?
Somebody fuckin help

Become an oral poet

Why do people choose to become grad students in stem? Are you genuinely interested in research?

Is that what they're calling prostitutes nowadays?

I'm a filthy lib arts grad but I didn't get into it for my research, I went into it because it was there after I graduated and my other choice was get a stressful job

I was on a similar track while studying. I spent 2 years during my undergrad working retail to have some spare cash. If I had any hope in brightening teenagers' minds and opening their horizons to literature, they were dashed, smashed and dragged through the mud throughout those two years. Like, I guess I was kinda sheltered during high school, having taken all honours courses and having relatively few friends; but, if that's what the youth is like today, I'd rather not bother. You'd think none of them had ever read Shakespeare.

ok. ok. wow. just... ok. you should be writing. or work in a library where you can sit and read all day, 500 pages per day easily. pick an inner city library with a safe commuting route, those people never fucking read you'll have the whole library to yourself. you can even work on your magnum opus full time while sitting in the library. and its a government job, you get the best benefits, you'll be like #47,313 in line for the presidency.

>What to do if you're an english major who hates writing?
Probably the same thing an English major who loves writing does. There aren't many ways to make a living which involve writing in any meaningful way anyway.

Always amazes me how people don't seem to know this. Why would anyone pay you to sit there and... write?

Fucking laughed

I have no respect for literature teachers. You're a useless member of society, you belong to the parasitic body of academia, and frankly, fucking kys

If you're not a massive autismo I would say become a therapist of some stripe, probably of the psychoanalytic bent, but not necessarily.

All of the schools require you to have emotional intelligence and literature helps with that a lot and you will never run out of inspiration about where to turn for help as most forms of suffering must have been written about in one way or another

Philosophy, of course, has a massive influence on the work of therapy and is often utilised by the less technical schools of thought

I considered it myself, but I don't think I am alturistic enough for the job, or really free of neurosis

Forgot to add: as a teacher, OP might be of the necessary alturistic quality for such a vocation as you can still lead and teach people, you just teach them to live though

M I L I T A R Y

J O U R N A L I S T

TEFL

In N' Out

Librarian or book store owner. Teaching is a mistake. Don't go down that path, you will regret it.

Yes, I am. I've helped professors with research already. It's not for everybody but I can think of very few other things I'd want to do with my life.
I'll live off grants and scrounge out a pretty poor existence but I absolutely love the subject I'll get to work with. One plus is that my field has the potential to pay very, very well if you ever get tired of pure research and feel like going into certain industries (though you have to be legitimately good at it). Can't complain about having that option.

being a librarian is the same as being a babysitter for homeless and mentally ill, and OCCASIONALLY handling a transaction with a reader

youtube.com/watch?v=rqTE-ig7NhY

>Writing. Duh.

"JOB"

>wage-labor
>degenerate

oh shit it's a chauvinist marxian

The definitive Veeky Forums guide to negging.

Job where I can travel. Not even out of country, just a change of scene.

a Copywriter or Head Editor, other that you're a fucking 9/5 like the rest of us,

Since joining Audible in 2004,I have experienced more books while stocking shelves in a supermarket than I would have sitting down and physically reading. My body gains the benefits of such exercise and my mind is free to indulge and savor all sorts of literature and more.

I think that reading is just a hobby

Every word you see out there was written by somebody.

There are a lot of jobs based on writing, you just have to know where to find them and you have to find one that hasn't shipped in a busload of Indians to do it for less money.

My high school english teacher made me seriously consider becoming a teacher myself for a moment.
Most of the time he'd have us work quietly with our books or writing something while he would just chill in the front reading a book.

Some sort of relatively low-level work in the public sector or a non-profit.

I have days when I read and wander around the buildings/grounds for easily 6 hours out of my shift.

>family keeps thinking you're out there applying for other positions and trying to "make it"
>they'll never understand that you have already achieved everything you ever wanted

Just apply for everything including things you're not qualified for, HR is stupid everywhere and you can get in eventually. It is harder to get a public sector job but that's because once you're in you're almost unfirable.

My department is at a point where we have too much staff but they can't fire anyone so we take turns doing nothing once a week or so.

>Wanting to teach
Oh boy, you're in for a huge disappointment.
Most students don't give a shit about their intellectual growth and are just waiting for the bell to ring.
Even if you were able to interest your class, you would have to waste hours with idiotic parents who think that the entire class' standards should be lowered just to make their special snowflakes comfortable.

Overnight janitor

fucking this.

made me smile, user.

Agreed, I used to work as the late shift janitor/groundskeeper at a fancy hotel and on a typical night I'd get at least 2 hours of reading in on my shift. Also did overnight desk work at a different hotel, and while I had more down time I had to drop it because I fucking hate doing paperwork. Basically, anything that's piss easy and with minimal oversight (e.g. no boss on location to hound you) is Veeky Forums-tier.

How would I get a gf with this job though?