Who is the most original mathematician?

Other urls found in this thread:

www-history.mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/Biographies/Grothendieck.html.
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>A general theory of duality for locally convex spaces had to be worked out: Schwartz and I [Dieudonné] had started its study for Fréchet spaces and their direct limits, but we had met a series of problems we could not solve. We therefore proposed them to Grothendieck, and the result turned out to exceed our most sanguine expectations.

>In less than a year, he had solved all our problems by very ingenious new constructions; then, with the techniques he had developed, he started to work on many other questions in functional analysis.

Source: www-history.mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/Biographies/Grothendieck.html.

Who's that dumbfuck?

Fermat

>Who's that dumbfuck?
>Not knowing who Mikhail Gromov is.
You must be an adult to post here.

Goedel married a prostitute and showed that not all theorems can be proven.

* postulates.

There isn't a single one. How would you quantify it. But I'd say Paul Dirac and I base that on absolutely nothing. Or the fact that I like him. Same shit.

>Hey guys I'm so smart cause I know names of ppl!
Meanwhile I'm studying actual mathematics instead of reading about history of mathematics
Kill yourself
Inb4 I get tons of (you)s from triggered retards

More original than Feynman?
Uhm, sweetie.

i saw the word original and thought i was on r9k

>instead of reading about history of mathematics
I guess his results are invalid now that he's old.

Nils Henrik Abel.
Invents the whole of group theory, which is the basis for rings and fields.
Dies at 25, young and obscure.

way to miss the point. I'm insulting Veeky Forums's obsession with people instead of subject, it's really big proof that most of you should be studying psychology (even though most of you would also shit talk psychology), as most are threads about IQs or admiring some super-genius scientist instead of the subject.

tl;dr you're off topic.

Theodore Kaczynski

>Theodore Kaczynski.
[*] Better know for other work.

Me.

Archimedes: he was doing calculus before it was cool.

Grothendieck for sure. A political radical with no formal background in mathematics; he famously couldn't solve a basic calculus problem. This man comes out of nowhere and shakes the world with some really out there stuff, then drops off the face of the earth 20 years later.

He also thought he was a literal prophet of God, and dressed like a wizard.

you study mathematics yet you do not know Gromov. Either you are a liar, or you think highschool algebra is mathematic. In any case, you are making a fool of yourself.

Shame.