The great debate:

The great debate:
Write your thesis in serif or non-serif font? Obviously in LaTeX.

Other urls found in this thread:

hanno-rein.de/archives/349
fonts.google.com/specimen/Butcherman
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Serif, of course.

I really like for the main text to be in serif, but I feel like sans looks clearer when labeling stuff on figures. Should I make the figure descriptions sans as well for the figures and the description to be more consistent, or serif for consistency with the main text?

I also have the figures in sans-serif. All the text part is in serif font though. I think it looks kinda off if your main text is in serif font but the figure description is in non-serif.
In the end it all comes down to your preference. Just try out different options, print them out and look what's best for you.

Use a serif for a body of text, the reader's eyes need security to gather the informations. Use sans serif for any technical stuff, no unnecessary crackpottery. At least, that should be standard.

I was thinking to use Gentium Plus for text, Helvetica for legends and tables.
But I'm not so sure anymore, Gentium Plus is so extraordinaire and Helvetica is so everyday.

With the serif font, it's important to pick one with beautiful and very easily decipherable greek characters. Because sometimes those look horrible, and then you have to use another font like symbol for only those.

What do you recommend?

I recommend that you have a look at how those alphas and betas look like before you choose your fonts

Sans for titles, serif for text bodies

Courier New with Wingdings equations

What I meant was that sans serif fonts tend to have shitty looking alphas.
Look at Helvetica's alpha. It doesn't even look like an alpha. Now compare it with Lucida, it's not a particularly beautiful font, however it features a more beautiful alpha.

I prefer sans, it's easier to read.

Smart people write thesis by hand with pencil.

Geniuses collect 30 pages from their notebook they write during their daily meditation sessions and submit that as thesis.

Sans serif for meant-for-computer documents; serif for meant-to-be-printed documents. There is no other sane reasoning.

Calibri :^)

Calabri

comic sans

>mfw there is really a comic sans packet for LaTeX

Wouldn't you want to type up what you wrote

Comic Sans

Who cares, as long as it has coffee stains.

hanno-rein.de/archives/349

Blackletter / Gothic Script

I'd prefer a package that adds jizz stains.

>anything but Computer Modern Roman
It's like you faggots WANT to look like massive brainlets.

after all it's one of the most used worldwide

>The great debate:
I have never seen a thesis written in a sans-serif font. There is no debate. Write your thesis in a professional serif font or make it look ridiculous.

12 Times New Roman

>not using Garamond

fonts.google.com/specimen/Butcherman

Courier semi bold is actually strangely attractive. I would have used it but has the unwanted side effect of distracting the readers with a huge WHY??

sans serif looks so bad. why is minimalism allowed?

Don't most schools have pretty rigorous formatting guidelines for consistency? In any case I vacillate between the two. Sans feels 'cleaner' and more modern, but serif feels fancier.

My supervisor during my master thesis wrote his PhD thesis with a non-serif font. In Word.