What's the consensus on "probiotics"? Is it a snake oil sham? Is it useful in some cases?

What's the consensus on "probiotics"? Is it a snake oil sham? Is it useful in some cases?

Other urls found in this thread:

nakedjuice.com/our-products/probiotic-machine-tropical-mango/
cu.pepsico.com/nakedjuice/naked-juice-faq-page/?F5C077=&faqlink=Does Naked Juice pasteurize all of its juices?
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it either helps with digestion or gives you diahrea

Useful in some cases when recommended by a DOCTOR.
Exaggerated massively by the medical snake oil industry to sell crappy overpriced yoghurt.

Get a god damned fecal transplant. Those really work.

Both. A lot of is bullshit. It's a real field. Microbiome is incredibly important for all sorts of things. Our current ability to manipulate the microbiome is minimal.

If you wanted to actually impact your microbiome you have to change your diet in addition to probiotics and other things. It's not as simple as just taking a pill and your gut biome magically changes.

It's part of a healthy lifestyle just like vitamins can be but you can't chug soda and sugar while thinking a probiotic pill will keep you healthy.

I have SIBO and a damaged gut lining. Probiotics do trippy things to my mind, and at an extreme make me borderline lose consciousness. Have time dilation and compression, vision goes dark, heart rate rises, etc.

I suspect either mass bacterial translocation into circulation resulting in a spike in what is already chronic low grade sepsis, or a sudden massive increase in ammonia, hydrogen sulfide, butyric acid, and acetone production. Which survive liver first pass processing in high concentrations, and affect brain function. I cannot describe the feeling, other than that it is terrible and not unfamiliar.

Microbiome is very important, whether in the intestines, on the skin, in the hair, or whatever. But the integrity of the body's regulatory machinery is equally or even more important. SIBO is terrible. I would rather starve myself to death than have to eat even the smallest scrap of food, ever again.

Everything is connected in broad networks with myriad nodes and feedback loops, blah blah. Should go without saying, and does.

>probiotic food
>"not" killed by pasturization

This always confused me, can someone smart comment? What i mean is how can food products purport to have live probiotics if the pasteurization procedure required to massively distribute a product likely kills all "probiotics" in the food.

An example is juices with probiotics added, say they go through HPP at 80,000 psi, wont this kill most if not all of the "probiotics" ?

probiotic foods are not pasteurized. It's not required to pasteurize certain foods, my store sells cold pressed juice that certainly is not pasteurized, it just needs to contain a label saying such

LOOK MORTY
*BURRRRRP*
I TURNED MYSELF INTO A BACTERIUM MORTY IM BACTERIUM RIIIIIIIICK

Im not talking about small batch or local stuff. Im talking about the stuff marketed across the country (US)

can you find an example of something claiming to be probiotic but is also pasteurized?

What? Go to any supermarket and look at the refrigerated juice section for probiotic juices.

Tropicana
Suja
Odwalla
Kombucha with probiotics added

Not only to the websites say these are pasturized, but they HAVE to be, to be distributed so widely.

Also yogurt unless the live culture was added after pasteurization, which is uncommon.

Here because maybe you are going to be retarded.

nakedjuice.com/our-products/probiotic-machine-tropical-mango/

cu.pepsico.com/nakedjuice/naked-juice-faq-page/?F5C077=&faqlink=Does Naked Juice pasteurize all of its juices?

I'm not sure about that product in particular but at least yoghurts are made from pasteurized milk rather than being pasteurized themselves. There's a special "Live & Active Cultures" seal you can find on bottles which is a certification made by some industry NGO and IIRC you need to have some minimum concentration of viable cells there at shipment to get it.

Dude just eat Greek yogurt

Well they just came up with a peanut allergy treatment thanks to probiotics. Also it helped me for a time with ulcerative colitis.

I TURNED MYSELF INTO A PROBIOTIC MORTY!
I'M PROBIOTIC RICK MORTYY! WOHOOO

fascinating

Food is pasturized first, food grade probiotics added under sterile conditions after

Rarely. Do you realize the massive retooling you have to do product lines for that?
You have to uncap and recap juice to do that, or pasturize in a large tank before bottling. Both absolutely retarded for a large company to do

not exactly an expert but I've done a fair bit of research in the area and took a course where we covered this for a while under a prof who's field of research was mostly involving the microbiota. the prof noted that the issue with probiotics as a dietary supplement is that they cant ever relay long term effectiveness because they almost NEVER successfully colonize the gut long-term. they essentially pass through (for reasons still unknown). there is also the "soldier in an army" problem wherein most probiotic pills simply contain such a miniscule amount of CFU compared to the gut population that, combined with the unsuccesful colonization, the effects you may expect to see from certain strains (from gnotobiotic studies) dont actually come through.

as of now, most academics will say that if you want to change your gut microbiota, you need a FMT or you need to change your diet. the field in general is still young and has a ton of unknowns and room to grow.

The issue is partly biofilm formation. Compounds like thymol and carvacrol can break down biofilm and will kill off pretty much any bacteria they come in contact with.

>or pasturize in a large tank before bottling
that's not massive retooling, that's what all companies do, they dont pasteurize before bottling.

There's no consensus or at least hard evidence to back them up. That said, I just had a strong dosis of antibiotics and my gut flora was wiped away. I'm drinking some of those yakult thingies and I feel they're aiding my flora to regenerate. Dunno if actually working or just placebo effect.