What do you guys think of the Portuguese language...

What do you guys think of the Portuguese language? I'm an American who is already fluent in Spanish and I'm looking to pick up a third language. Portugal and Brazil are both pretty solid in my book (I'm talking culture, not economics) but discussion of their literature is essentially non-existent on this board.

Also underrated languages thread I guess to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XUrugDn2g6s
youtube.com/watch?v=r-XGAWjwj-c
youtu.be/-GrrrJWkEpM?t=53
youtube.com/watch?v=1ubhZ_5p-CM
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>brazil
>culture

>Heitor Villa-Lobos
>Bossa Nova
>Machado de Assis
>Guimaraes Rosa
>Graciliano Ramos
>Jorge Amado
>Lispector
>not culture

some villa-lobos to finish this post
youtube.com/watch?v=XUrugDn2g6s

youtube.com/watch?v=r-XGAWjwj-c

Well if you know Spanish it should be easy to learn Portuguese. Luís de Camões, Fernando Pessoa, Eça de Queiroz, Saramago,..
These are probably the most famous Portuguese authors. Since your book is about culture definitely read "A Mensagem" by Pessoa and "Os Lusíadas" by Camões.

Literature is mostly derivative from Europe, and you'll need a lot of context to appreciate it.
Since you speak Spanish, just get translations in it, it's not worth the effort.

t. BR

It's an interesting language: Brazilian Portuguese is one of the most beautiful languages out there, while European sounds like Spanish spoken by a drunk Pole with Dutch accent and a mouth full of tinfoil. As with all Romance languages you shouldn't have much trouble learning it as long as you already know another one. French is probably more worth in terms of literature quantity/quality and spontaneous usefulness, but Portuguese is definitely not bad.

Sure thing, brazuca. youtu.be/-GrrrJWkEpM?t=53

Brazillian Portuguese is trashy. European Portuguese is classy.

As everyone knows, Portuguese is the most beautiful language on the planet.

I'm neither Brazilian nor Portuguese. I'm merely observing. Stuffing every other word full of sibilants and affricates doesn't make it classy it makes it sound like a faulty garbage disposal machine.

Yikes!

Bossa is pure and beautiful so naturally I hold Portuguese in high regard.

To bad about the slums tho.

That's a nice way of not saying anything.

I picked it up over the course of 2 years with little to no language experience outside of some basic Spanish (word order, general verb conjugation, etc.). It's not a difficult language to learn, there's just some rule bending in terms of reflexive verbs and such. Sometimes it can be tricky to get it straight. If you want to learn it, and if you're already fluent in Spanish, you'll have no issues. Good luck.

>Brazilian Portuguese is one of the most beautiful languages out there

Brazilian here, how do we sound to you?

>he can't read
Why even reply?

American detected

I'm Swiss.

Brazilian Portuguese is legit the most hideous language, but at least it's easier to understand than tugas who never open their mouth.

On the planet of the apes, you mean.

There are quite a few good authors from Portugal. But none from Brazil.

i think their glory as an empire is entirely due to the fact that they were cucks of the english. their language sounds like shit. every portuguese person ive ever met has been a pretentious cunt.

pleb ears.
Cervantes called Portuguese >the sweet and gracious language

youtube.com/watch?v=1ubhZ_5p-CM

>links a song

Rosa alone btfo the entirety of Portugal if you ignore their old works.

Brazillian here. Italian sounds much nicer, but portuguese has god-mode syntax.
>Inexistent Subject
Also, brazillian literature is four people, portuguese literature is four people, same same tbqh.

why would you learn P*rtuguese if you don't know Ancient Greek, Latin, French and German yet?

Here in Orlando we have a large Brazilian tourist population, which grants opportunities for practice. Unlike other nationals they don't scoff at people who try to speak to them in their language based on what I've seen.

By learning Portuguese you get 80% Spanish for free and 50% of French. It also comes from Latin so you'll be somehow learning some Latin too.

have you considered Italian instead? nothing wrong with Portuguese...but Dante tho.

Null subject is neither a particularly interesting feature nor is it exclusive to Portuguese. Face it the language is just bastardized Spanish.

Learn Italian and cringe every time you watch an American mafia movie/show.

How can that be true if it doesn't come directly from Spanish? It's bastardized Vulgar Latin with Lusinatian and Gallaecean languages influence.

You forgot Pedro Chagas Freitas

This. The Godfather 2 became a comedy to me. I don't want to rewatch the first one and have the same happen

Is very good pra chuchu!

I posted this post in another thread and I think it applies to your thread:

OP, this is why you are never supposed to ask Veeky Forums about languages. Most people here barely read. What makes you think that they will bother to learn a language? Nonetheless, I'll answer your question.

I'm Portuguese and I, and most Portuguese, can understand written and spoken Spanish, while the opposite is not true. Most Spaniards can only read or understand Brazilian Portuguese since both share the common linguistic rhythm that most romance languages have (exceptions being Romanian, Portuguese and some French and Italian dialects). Phonetically speaking both languages are far different from each other, but in terms of vocabulary they're quite similar. Although I must confess that I doubt you would be able to read Portuguese literature beyond basic school level (7th to 9th grade level). The same also applies if you learn Portuguese and try to understand Spanish without studying it. I had Spanish in high school and I found difficult to READ and UNDERSTAND (something must people ITT seem to forget is the following: of what use does reading literature but not understanding it is to all of you?) books like "The Hounds of the Baskervilles" - books that I would read without any effort in English.

Despite me being Portuguese, I would advise you to learn Spanish for the following reasons:

-It's easier.
-It can serve as an introductory language to every other Romance language.
-It has more literature.
-It's the closest language to Italian and it will allow you to somewhat understand the language.
-Supposing you're American you'll probably need it in your day-to-day life.

Tl;dr Learn Brazilian for better optimization of your Spanish.

>Supposing you're American you'll probably need it in your day-to-day life.
Kek. Arriba, arriba, muchachos. Andale, andale.

Portuguese is THE most beautiful romance language - no competition. And, as you mentioned, you'll be able to understand a lot of spanish aswell.
I had zero knowledge about any romance language when I started (except for the mandatory latin in high school, here), but it really opened up the other romance languages aswell. Portuguese is worth the effort.

wrong

Look at those cocksucking lips

Is there any brazilian poet worth reading? I can't think of anyone better than Cruz e Souza, but he is just a poor's man Baudelaire.

I'd say Italian > European Portuguese > French > Brazillian Portuguese > Spanish

Are you american by any chance? They seem to be the only ones fond of italian
Brazilian portuguese > European portuguese > spanish (european) > french > italian > romanian