Hello Veeky Forums

Hello Veeky Forums

I wanted to know where I could read the Moomin comic strips online. For some reason I've been seeing a lot of them on Veeky Forums and it piqued my interest.

Other urls found in this thread:

drawnandquarterly.com/moomin-deluxe
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I don't know, haven't read them, but have you read the books?

I actually haven't.
Although I can easily acquire the books in an electronic format, it would seem that the newspaper comic strips are outside my grasp as per electronic editions.

I can't see that well with paper text, and was hoping I could remedy that.

There must be an origin to all these Moomin crops and reaction images. Surely.

If I can't find it, I'll just pick up a hardcover and run a scan myself.

I don't want to be that oddball using a magnifying lens to read something.

Reminder that moominfags are just ponyfags trying to infiltrate other boards.

Not quite, I've been browsing through Veeky Forums and seeing snarky quips and reaction images with these Moomin things, and I found it rather interesting.

It's a weird sense of dry, yet melancholy humor. A satire of bitter but also sweet.

I'm legitimately interested in where the origin of this newspaper series comes from and how I can get it in a format easily readible to me.

Books are the best moomin media. Anime comes close second, and the comics after.

Do what you must, friend.

All right then, I'll order the Anniversary Collection, and scan each page one by one and save it as a personal .pdf

By the by how does one scan hard print?
Rip the pages out one by one? Full page, crop to image?

I figure since there isn't an online publication might as well cater the scan to what readers prefer.

(Although I think Moomin is a bit of a market, could get in some troubles for it)

Meh, I'll keep it a secret for Veeky Forums.

Don't tell anyone!

I'll be back in a few weeks with a .pdf Veeky Forums

Thanks for entertaining me!

This is one of the funniest things I've read all week.

You know that the books are the "original" Moomin media, right? Everything else is derived from them. I highly recommend them. They don't have comic strips but they have great illustrations that are also all done by the author herself.

I did not know that.

I know its an international thing though.
The Svens, Brits and Japs really are dodger about it.

From what I understand, the Books are Svennish, The Comics are British, and the Cartoon/Anime is Japanese.

please do that

>By the by how does one scan hard print?
>Rip the pages out one by one? Full page, crop to image?
how i do it:
get a digital camera, a tripod, and a lamp, a special type of glass plate (i don't know what they're called, but i ripped mine from an old scanner, and it's perfect), ideally you build yourself some kind of wedges to put the book on. put the glass plate on the page you want to scan, shine the lamp on the glass plate so that you don't see the reflection of the lamp. make a photo of the page (with the camera as parallel as possible to the page), remove the glass, turn the page, repeat. you're gonna photograph the right sides of the book first, then, at the end, turn the book around and photograph all the left pages. i wrote a small python script that puts the pages in the right order, then you can use some software (if you have a linux system i'd recommend scantailor) to clean up the pages.

nb: if you're interested i could go into more detail

That sounds like a lot of work!

>herself.
Fuck I thought it was a guy. Hope it's not too late to cancel the book I ordered.

Your loss.

Did you think this degenerate, pandering shit was written by a male? Qelqing at your life.

>Did you think this degenerate, pandering shit was written by a male? Qelqing at your life.

Ay nigga if you gonna scan this I might still buy it anyway, the collection looks niiiiiiiiiiiiiice

Aye, however 38 dollery doos minimum click buy price is a bit hefty.

57 dongers average mortar price is a bit hefty as well.

I was thinking about purchasing books 1-5 in seperate order, however that leads to overprice rather than the collection.

This one fool in Texas however believes his copy is worth 2,000 dingerdoos though.

Point and laugh at the guy who doesn't understand consumer based economics!

Can't recommend buying this enough:
drawnandquarterly.com/moomin-deluxe
Got it from some sale for 25 bucks, has all the moomin strips that had Tove involved, later on the comic was drawn on written just by Lars, Toves brother and while still good they really weren't on the level of Toves work.
Worth it at the full price but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find it for cheaper.

>Everything else is derived from them
Eh, this isn't really the whole truth, Tove worked int he comics simultaneously and the comics and the books both are 'original' media, they feature different stories and the tone of the comics is more lighthearted and humorous, the books are bit 'deeper' and gloomy at times.
Both absolutely worth reading.

Oh and if your impression of the comic is just from the panels here and there, the actual comic is going to be bit different, it's mostly about the bohemian way of life of the moomin family and their unconvential ways compared to those around them. doubt you will be disappointed but your expectations might be different from the actual product.
I've posted ton of pics I've taken from my physical copy to different boards

here's some cause why not

I love the design of Stinkys criminal buddies so there are few pics of them without the whole panel showign

This one had pretty good pun in it actually but makes no sense without teh context, Stinky asker if he can borrow the cellar of Moomins house, cue that panel

Sorry about the awful quality and huge filesize

bonus Stardust The Superwizard panel

it is, but believe me, it's the easiest way (i know of), if you're not willing to shell out thousands of bucks for a book scanner, or to rip the book apart. using a regular scanner takes much longer and gives shittier results resolution-wise.

>From what I understand, the Books are Svennish, The Comics are British, and the Cartoon/Anime is Japanese.
there's also a (high-quality) german made-for-tv puppet theatre version from the 60's or 70's

>german
wasn't it polish?

Aren't there phone apps that will turn your photo into a black and white pdf?

The books are Finnish, also where the dry yet sweet melancholy humor stems from.

The animation was a collaboration between Japanese, Finnish, and Dutch creators.

These are nice, but it's not really that hard to downsize them, user. You can do it in mspaint or whatever.