Is there a point where you are satisfied with your level of intelligence and feel smart...

Is there a point where you are satisfied with your level of intelligence and feel smart? The more I learn the stupider I feel and it's depressing

The point when you realise you cannot change your intelligence and feel contempt with doing your best.

Your idle mind makes you think things that are anything but helpful to you. Use your own intelligence to make actual accomplishments and measure it based on them. You can't control your IQ, so don't bother with it. Bother with what you can do towards your goals.

Yes. When you feel capable of making a dragon out of combinatorial DNA and can translate back and fourth between genetic code and C programming. That is when you are a badass.

(content, not contempt i assume)
but this.

The more I study, the more I realize I'm retarded, so I guess not. You can be satisfied with not being smart though.

Probably when you start adding significantly to the literature. You're supposed to feel stupid, anyways; this stuff took millennia and many people to learn.

Also learning the history and context around discoveries makes most seem inevitable rather than ingenuity.

i really like that picture :)

The more I learn the more I feel like I forget

Whenever I solve a problem, and I realize it is my smartyness which allows me to do so (and realize that very fact).

>two suns

The moment you become content being exactly where you are.

I had that moment in undergrad. I took a few years off to work, and returned to school with real drive and vigor. Landed positions as a research assistant in physics labs, got listed as a third author on a paper, became personally involved with my professors. I had realized how little I really knew, and instead of desperately trying to get smarter I simply accepted that I was a student, one to be mentored, and that at that stage in my life it was my job to learn. I stopped waiting to "arrive." That viewpoint allowed me to focus my energy on learning what I needed to know to get to my goals, and accomplish the things I wanted to. I was very happy to be where I was, and I stopped being ashamed and embarrassed when I didn't know the answer. I wasn't a genius then, and I never will be, but I've been extremely successful in academics.

You will likely never feel smart unless you are exceedingly arrogant. As you learn more you will continually open new worlds up to yourself, and in doing so continually realize how much more there is to know. Wanting to feel smart, or superior to others is, in my opinion, a shallow goal. And you will never satisfy yourself if that's what you want. You need to be filled with wonder, drive, and passion to succeed and feel satisfied in academics. If you are not you will likely not find much to satisfy you here.

I'm far from smart, but I like that I'm a jack of all trades. I know a bunch about random stuff, fuck knows then it will come in handy.
I simply try to add to it in bits. Sadly, like a flashlight, I will only glow so bright and as unfocused as I am can only go so far.

As an undergrad student I know that feel bro.
It's shocking how are narrow field as Math or Organic Chemistry can be so incredibly vast.
Yet the High School kids & Normies are unable to do even arithmetics, let alone Calculus.
While most Engineers will never know Algebraic Geometry PhD tier Math, only few Physicists as Edward Witten know how to use such advanced math to solve physics problems.

What a fucking brainlet.

You might refer to what you seek as wisdom, experience, and the kind of self-esteem that comes with both. Basically, if you're not born an egomaniac prick, you can usually expect life to make you that way as you grow old enough.

I was an insecure little fuck as a kid, even when I was in my 20's. I felt stupid, others said I was stupid, and I suffered from all kinds of self esteem issues. I was almost in my 30's when I went to a school with a subject I actually cared about, found I excelled at it far beyond my classmates, got an amazing job, and finally went ahead and took an IQ test. 139.

I was lucky. The thing is, that number did nothing, at that point I'd already gotten my sense of self through my own personal achievements. Turns out it really is true when they say you should spend less time on thinking about what others think of you, and more on just being who you are.

My point, if there is one, is this: Intellect is mostly something you're born with. You don't earn it, just like you don't earn the shame for being dumb. Your character determines your worth.

If you are in the same room doing the same work as people much dumber than you, do you feel smart or better than them? The reality is that they got where you are, while all the cards were stacked in your favor. Shouldn't you instead be ashamed of yourself, for not being able to push even farther? The reverse is also true. If you hang out with smart people, doing work with people smarter than yourself, why should you be ashamed? You should be proud, you had to work much harder to get there, you exceeded the hand you were dealt with as you were born and raised.

At the end of it all, your intelligence is what it is. Don't base your own worth on it, as it's not your merit nor your fault. Just be someone you can respect when you look in the mirror. At the end of the day, that's all that you can really control, and that's the thing that matters most anyway.

This

listen to this guy

Well said. We all know of the Dunning-Kruger effect, it's toted left and right here after all. The basic idea of it is the same as on the old phrase: The more you know, the better you understand how little you know.

Dumb people tend to be the most vocal about their opinions, and speak with the most vigor precisely because they are too dumb to understand all the variables involved, the full complexity of any given subject. As per the Dunning-Kruger, the smarter people tend to be quiet not because they're shy or modest, but because they have a better understanding of all the things they really don't know. And when you know that you don't really have enough information to make a strong case, you're far less likely to put your ass on the line defending it.

This is best evidenced by the increasingly massive triggering going on in the political and economic fields in the past decade. The ones who make the most noise, who put out the most drama, are practically always completely clueless about what's really going on.

And yet you were still that little insecure brainlet that just had to know his IQ, weren't you?