Mfw we had to read Shakespeare out loud in high school

>mfw we had to read Shakespeare out loud in high school

Reading aloud is illegal nowadays I bet. You sure had a tough childhood.

lol

>mfw we had to read Shakespeare

>mfw I got to read Blood Meridian in high school

>Reading aloud is illegal nowadays I bet.
What?

>mfw no one in their right mind reads Blood Meridian out of high school other than me

>Be me
>Reading Tolstoy's Death of Ivan Ilyich
>STEM-focused school, full of autists
>Not me, I'm into humanities
>"I only speak c++ and the only current I feel is measured in volts" looking ass niggas
>Once they loled once when they found WWII in a history book
>Resistance hahaha bet I could solder them into my circuitboard hahaha
>snobbyfrog.jpg
>STEMfags read French phonetically
>Can't even pronounce the Russian names
>Plebs/10
>My turn comes
>Gonna show these bitches
>Teacher is kinda hot, I'll impress her so bad
>"le phénix de la famille"
>Oh yes bby I'm erect
>"il faut que la jeunesse se passe."
>OH FUCK YES
>My hands are on my thighs by now
>Be lucky enough to read most French words as we progress

>Ivan Ilyich is dead
>Class untouched because someone stole their favorite drill
>See my teacher talking to another teacher
>She doesn't notice me
>"He's so weird. Like, he actually spoke French when we read those parts. I can't even"
>Laughs
>I storm by
>"user I didn't mean it that way"
>meurs, salope!
>Go home
>Grab my Camus and cry myself to sleep
>I can't fuck her now
>And they think I actually speak French

We didn't talk much afterwards and I'm taking French since then. fml

Reading shakespeare outloud separates the idiots from the people who can actually pick up on stress, tone, and aren't pace autists

My HS was shit.
We just watched a movie(Romeo + Juliet 1996) in class over the course of a couple of days then given a worksheet.

>Read Of Mice and Men in class
>Nobody liked it, nor understood the theme
>Become the teacher's favourite because I'm the only one that cares
>Teacher approaches me when he sees me reading Roadside Picnic
>Recommends me Dune
>Best time ever

As if this were the point of teaching Shakespeare...

I think some of the angriest moments in my life were spent in an AP English class where the teacher always made us read out loud. There was this sperg girl who could not fucking read more than 20 words a minute and ruined the enjoyment of anything we read.

Autism projected/10

As intended. You autist.

>That kid who reads at a 3rd grade level in high school
>Struggles through words and has to sound them out
>Frequently stumbles and stutters
>They're on the verge of tears the whole time
>Teacher always gives them the longest densest parts to read aloud
There's at least one in every class
Also:
>That kid who reads super fast but has no fucking idea what they are even saying

I usually read fast to avoid getting the chore again.

I usually read it silently afterwards or prior. Depending on how much I hated it or was bored... If I hated it enough, I read it to make fun of it.

>start reading ahead of the class and finish chapter/section way early
>teacher gets mad at you for not following along

Same here, did you go to school in Texas?

>tfw my secondary class read Romeo and Juliet out loud, acted scenes out watched the 1996 movie in its entirety and watched clips from other adaptions to explore differences in staging

feels good to have gone to a good school

>reading plays out loud
Surely not

This is a serious question, do Americans schools not separate students by ability? Or is it something that changes from state to state?

>2017
>Not reading 1000 pages an hour

Can't speak about specific states, but here if you get high scores in one subject you might get an advanced version next semester.

I resent bloom so much for this

Where I went, there was a choice to take an advanced placement course to look good for college. Nobody read in any classes though.

I was the kid who would change his voice when reading aloud

I was the kid in my class who had to break the "nigger" seal while we read Huck Finn out loud. Ask me anything.

My schools always separated based on ability. I'm sure it's one of those things that varies by state

>1000 words an hour
>every hour 60 minutes
>every minute 60 seconds
>every hour 3600 seconds
>one page every 3.6 seconds
This isn't even human anymore what the fuck.

>those retards that read every line in a run-on, toneless sentence

Everyone had to. I remember having to read Macbeth out loud in 8th grade. (And my teacher nearly having a coronary because the idiots in class giggled through the whole thing).

you're all i really live for t b h

>tfw we used to take it in turns to read out loud
>I read everything in a silly accent

Feels pretty autistic thinking about it now

How many scalps have you taken since?

My high school honors/AP/Dual Enrollment courses for the smarties, general classes for the normies, and remedial classes for the retards.

The school where I now teach is an alternative high school, consisting almost entirely of students who never would have graduated from a traditional high school. They pretty much are all those who would be in remedial classes, so no real need to separate them by level like that.

What the fuck is the reasoning behind reading out loud? Literally the worst way to read something is to have a group of stupid high schoolers mumble through it.

not him, but I did, and went through the same shit. shitty school system, represent.

In my state it goes AB when applicable (rich towns), AP, Honors, College, Standard, and then arsonists and kids with down syndrome.

I live in an extremely wealthy town in america school quality is dictated by local income taxes, and kids who are sub-par are basically put in a separate part of the school. Several parents I know say that our school system "is not for all children". Fuckin plebs.

>mfw i was made to read othello's part because i was the only non-white person in my class

>in america school quality is dictated by local income taxes
Where I live it's property taxes, but yeah, this is a problem. Poor kids go to poor schools, get poor education and poor discipline, and grow up to remain poor.

That second one is the worst for teaching. It's a pretty common literacy problem and you can't be like "hey kid that thing you're doing isn't reading" because you'll ruin their confidence.

lemme try to elucidate with a personal anecdote

>kike man himself is my prof while i was at yale
>i struggle in his Shakespeare seminar cause he assigns so much reading
>literally 20+ plays for a single semester
>literally thousands of pages of secondary material
>you can't even finish the readings for one class period before he's moved onto next week
>one day i decide to go to office hours
>up to that point i'd been consistently 2 weeks behind the class because i'm a physics-lit double major with 4 other classes
>request help for increasing my reading speed
>"since you developed speedreading into an art, i was hoping you could give me some tips" i say hopefully
>empty silence as harold ponders over his response, finally he opens his jewish mouth
>"look, user, i like you, but you're doing it wrong"
>"forget reading every word, you just have to read the first letter of each line"

anyway, hope that helped you user, good luck

>
lol

It's been too long since something on Veeky Forums made me laugh out loud.

ah yes the old dum-dums that don't realize AP English is actually an actors studio for those who are too wuss/ugly/uninteresting to go into acting

Hello please include me in the /r/Veeky Forums screen cap.

Thanks goyim.

I don't get the joke. Is this referring to steganography from WW II?

>get to play Caesar during his death
>get stabbed by my classmates with popsicle sticks

i remember when we read lord of the flies in gr 11 and my teacher totally did not shy away from the one n word late in the book. actually he stressed it. after he explained the historical context redundantly.

not bad

sneaky

also

>physics-lit double major
i giggled

Ah yes! how dare these ANIMALS be unable to read with absolutely no training to do so? it is unimaginable!

>romeo and juliet
>our assignment is to rehearse the "wherefore art thou" scene with a partner in front of the class
>teacher has the boys choose a girl partner by giving them a love letter and flower, just to make it even more embarassing

I didnt like freshman english

are you in Lévis you goddamned faggot

>retards that actually think them acting out shakespeare in a high school english class like an actual autist makes them better than anyone else