Let's talk about money

Let's talk about money.

What's your philosophy on it? How much do you need and want?
What are you willing to sacrifice etc

>money
heh, don't make me laugh
go read some marx
fuck capitalism

ok. ok. wow. just... ok.
>let's talk about money.
ok.
>whats your philosophy on it?
stoicism and zen. aka go fuck yourself faggot
>how much do you need in want?
how much does a noose that i can give you cost?
>what are you willing to sacrifice?
what the fuck are you even talking about?

>What's your philosophy on it?

a) they have a corruptive influence
b) given the amount of suffering in the world that directly depends on economic matters, every form of blatant luxury (everything that goes beyond a comfortable life) should be seen as immoral

>How much do you need and want?
I earn 2100 euros/month and a 30000 euros account for eventual medical bills. I've always lived with about 500 euros every month (I pay only 300 euros in rent, wich is common if you're European), and give the rest away to a few local charities and a few international ones.

>What are you willing to sacrifice etc
Absolutely nothing, everything I care about that can be bought (books and music scores) can be accessed for free through libraries, and my social life (wich I'll have to admit, is pretty lacking) doesn't imply any sort of expense.
I genuinely don't care about money and material possessions, I'm 100% content with a few books, a few good friends, a piano and a fulfillong job that I can ethically exploit.

Enough is as good as a feast.

>I pay only 300 euros in rent, wich is common if you live in some backwards shithole

Money is the enabler of near-complete freedom. Any wish can be fulfilled and the consequences -between realistic limits- are practically non-existent.

Unhappy? Buy and do things that give you temporary happiness.
The inability to do X makes you sad? Pay for it.
Lonely? People flock to money.
Need sex? Buy sex.
Need love? Buy a trophy wife who fakes affection.
Need an escape? Buy the best drugs. Travel.
Want to learn something? The best teachers and equipment one can afford.
Beat up some dude in a drunken fit? Pay him off. Pay off the cops. Pay off the judge.
Physical suffering? The best doctors and medications, the fastest recovery.
Mental suffering? Numb it or try to solve it with the best therapists.

Everything and everyone has a price. The more you can pay, the more you can buy. The more you can buy, the freer you are.

If you're worried about the morality of all this, change my list. Buy things for others, pay for their education, make them happy, make the world a better place. Whatever floats your boat. Point is, money enables you to do all these with as few restrictions as possible.

> How much do you need and want?

I don't need money. If my situation is desperate and I can't support myself, I'll commit suicide. If I can't pay for food and rent for an extended period of time, I'll make the jump or pull the trigger. It doesn't matter if it happens in a year or six, or if I die old to natural causes. It's inevitable and the dead don't miss or complain.

>What are you willing to sacrifice

Everything:
-I can replace with money (all my friends, most of my family)
-That doesn't affect my ability to commit suicide when I choose to do so
-That doesn't restrict my freedom in general (e.g no "do this work 12 hours/day even if you hate it" or "Don't leave the country.")

>"Pecunia non parit pecunian"

Aristotle (Politics)

>Let's talk about money
How about we talk about literature instead?

Enough for what? Yourself? Each man to themselves after that, eh? Why not have enough to create and maintain a community, provide and buy comfort for your family and friends, if you're able?

>If my situation is desperate and I can't support myself, I'll commit suicide.

Nope, living in a modern metropolis. Living in the US would be a huge step down in my life quality.

God, you're a loser.

My opinion is not less valid just because edgy teenagers agree them.
I do not want to live a life that brings more suffering than joy. I'm responsible for my life, I have the right to decide.

I'm not talking about not being able to live in a comfortable flat surrounded by fancy clothes and appliances and internet access. I can live without those. I'm talking about being on the streets for years, starving, unable to stand back up. At that point there's literally no reason to live in my opinion.

fuck does this have to do with books?

Basically I want the standard broken postwar promise of home ownership and disposable income for luxury goods and leisure activities whilst supporting a family and elevating my children to a higher social standing than my own. All while working hard but not excessively; no antisocial hours etc.

I know, I'm fucked.

>inb4 modern metropolis is a village in Latvia
Unless you're talking about a 30sqm studio on the outskirts there's virtually no decent European city which would fit the bill.

yes.

philosophy

>I have the right to decide.

I live in Milan in a 45sqm three room apartment in a safe part of the city (but don't even try to compare criminality in Western Europe to criminality in the US, it's a completely different game where losing your life is as rare as it gets).

>Italy
>not a third world country

not even kek. try kekker.

Keep living by your stereotypes mate, and keep ignoring the fact that every big city in the West is now the same thing due to globalization.
That said Milan is patrician af (and I'm not even being a nationalist here, since I'm French): filled with monuments to an extent where you US philistine simply can't imagine it, it's extremely cheap even for EU standards, violent crimes are rare and gangs are non-existent and the artistic scene is lively.

It's a dream city.

You could maybe rent a room in Milan proper for €300. So, as I was saying you live in a tiny apartment somewhere in the outer burbs.

At least you were able to buy the hype.

As I've said earlier:
>I live in Milan in a 45sqm three room apartment in a safe part of the city

It's not in the historic centre, but I can reach it with a 2.5 minutes metro ride

>filled with monuments to an extent
Maybe you should travel more. Milan has a well preserved city center, but it can't hold a candle to most large European cities, save for perhaps Germany which was heavily bombed. Nice city though.
>every big city in the West is now the same thing due to globalization
Again, travel more instead of shitposting.

Yes, sure. Whatever you have to say to yourself.

>tfw americans are this crippled by their shit society
>so crippled that they can't even concieve affordable rents

That's sad mate, I can only wish luck to your country. To be so jaded and devoid of any sort of basic human right must be crushing.

>Maybe you should travel more. Milan has a well preserved city center, but it can't hold a candle to most large European cities, save for perhaps Germany which was heavily bombed. Nice city though.
In literally every street there are things to see and visit, and literally every town near Milan is filled with monuments too.
I know that there's lots of history in Europe, but honestly nothing can beat the most historically dense Italian cities, such as Milan, Turin, Rome and Venezia. If you think otherwise I can only give you one advice: travel more and visit Italy.
As I've said earlier I've traveled all across Europe, and as a Frenchman I've decided 5 years ago to spend the rest of my life in this country. There is no nationalist shilling here, I'm just here for the art.

i avoid money as much as i can

why? do you enjoy being a wageslave? do you not want to retire at 40 and go on vacation for the rest of your life?

The measure of man's control over money and its control over him can only be seen once he is in its possession. Don't tell me about "avoiding money" as if it's swatting you in the face in the wind - how can you be sure you've not just applied yourself to earn and have thus convinced yourself it has no value, sort of like beta virgins convince themselves they don't want any pus-say?

In other words I will believe that money has no hold on a man once I see him burn a million

*tips fedora*

>I like it the most therefore it is objectively best
Sound logic. I've traveled extensively in Italy and Milan is the liveliest but also probably the least impressive architecturally compared even to smaller Romagnan and Tuscan cities. So your hurr durr american philistines sounds quite funny.

I'm Austrian, not American. But I gotta say, you're being quintessential eurotrash with the whole le basic human rights shtick. It literally takes about 20 minutes of googling to find out and confirm the rent stats on Milan or any major city for that matter. The only feasible explanation is that you're like one of those delusional frogs that lives in some shitty remote banlieu and calls himself Parisian.

>a fulfillong job that I can ethically exploit.
this meant what by they?

That sounds dope, kudos, enjoy that. Those other anons are jealous. Paying $1200 for a 1 bedroom in brooklyn bordering Gunshot Ave.

>literally takes about 20 minutes of googling
>20 seconds*
A one bedroom apartment in a nice, central area of Milan will cost about €1200 or £900 a month on average. Rooms rented in shared apartments vary of course, but can average around €400 or £300 a month

Working this hard for b8 that isn't even funny.

Agree with this dude as someone who has traveled a bit and seen the beauty of Milano and high quality of life in Italia

ugh user you're making me reminisce about my Italian vacation so hard. Gotta learn Italian and move there soon. Although Venezia is super touristy, there is no city more beautiful or unique. A city upon water :D
Turin, Rome, and the rest of Italy get my highest praise as well.

>I'm Austrian
dude pls chill out you have Wien, Salzburg, the Alps...what's not to love. be happy

in a nutshell
post #: divine | question: perversa ratio
how does 1 explœ8 a 2^2
a 00 (ballz) 'n' 55 (t͡ʃainz)
kan't (ens realissimum)
∴ (2gether they are 4)
labour = love! (factorial)
wow marx̄ btfo
the means of (re)production
even cum-mens-really
kant be seized
~revelation 1:8~
stay a NEET

I don't like money, but of course, I need it. I am old. When I run out of money, which I now have from some limited sources, I will kill myself. Is that philosophical or just realistic?

i have the same plan unless i somehow become successful. it's very realistic if you don't have a safety net

Loling at you children in this thread.

Money isn't necessarily as much about consumption as it is a buffer against disaster. A proper budget plan allows you the time to follow a passion and start earning through that.

I don't intend to live on the streets or in a shelter, so if I get a foreclosure or eviction notice...

It was different when I was young. I did have a safety net most of my life and I am grateful for that. But when it's gone, or when it was never there, then it's time. I was successful, sort of, for a time, but time is the bitch that kills us all. It's the tide that goes out and never comes in. The rock that rolls down the hill and never rolls back up. Etc. It sounds kind of stupid until it is upon you. People don't understand what it means until it happens. No money means no bills paid, no food, no heat, no electricity, no car, no roof. Nothing. Until you've been there, you just don't know.

And there is another, maybe bigger thing. The lack of respect. When you walk into a store or god help me, a bank with empty accounts. You learn what indiferencce reallly means

Daily reminder that universal income wouldn't require any more spending (possibly less, according to economists) compared to current levels of bureaucracy necessary to distribute all the various forms of income to the population. The only reason there are people in poverty is an inefficient economic system.

Ever consider moving to a poorer country to it lasts longer? Or you can never retire? How long until your money runs out?

Do you work in advertising? Please stop using the word "philosophy" like this

>universal income
but then everyone would try to work less,

well first of all, what kind of figure are the talks or theories about... literally enough to live off of?

If that were the case, so many people would stop working and just try to live off that?

Don't take more than you need, don't buy anything you don't plan on using alot. It's also better to work part time if you can help it so you can focus on more important things

This.

>oh no! The human species will stop spending so much valuable planetary resources working to produce and sell unnecessary shit to each other!
That's another benefit, user.

>oh no! The human species will stop spending so much valuable planetary resources working to produce and sell unnecessary shit to each other!
That's another benefit, user.

>(I pay only 300 euros in rent, wich is common if you're European), and give the rest away to a few local charities and a few international ones.

you give 1600€away every month ?

Sai anche l'italiano?

>thinking that Milan isn't one of the most beautiful cities of the world
lmao shut up loser, Milan is absolutely stunning in every part and so rich in history and art that you could spend there your whole life without being ever satisfied with learning

No I am saying like, if everyone had access to enough money to live on, this would have to be planned extraordinarily, so the day after trucks with grocery store shipments of food, nuclear power plants, and hospitals are not employeeless, you mong?

>i haven't been anywhere except for my overgrown village with a nice historical centre
>it is the bestest city in the world and you're all dum