How do I read more than 10 pages at a time?

How do I read more than 10 pages at a time?

Stop being a pleb

Have you tried reading more than ten pages at a time? Works for me.

ok. ok. wow. just... ok. so when you get to the tenth page in your reading, your turn the fucking page and continue reading. what the fuck is wrong with you?

Smoke cigarettes or eat nicotine gum

Guys I mean it, I'm reading Crime and Punishment for ione and a half months now and I'm only on page 300 and I have 3 more books on my chair. How do you guys read literally for hours? I assume my attention span is just fucked or maybe the book isn't as good as I thought, idk lads.

You just do it. Literally don't stop until you've read 11 pages, and the next time you'll read you'll up it to 12 by forcing yourself to so it.
If what you're reading doesnt interest you dont even bother. Usually biographies are a great tool to kickstart a passion for literature: start from there.

you might have a bad translation

desu i have the same problem. I think I have ADD or something because it's really hard for me to do anything for an hour. I still finished crime and punishment less than a month though. you're just being lazy.

But youre only meant to read one page at a time

Methamphetamine

Im 18 and I just read the book in a month while spending most of my time smoking weed and playing video games.

while slowly wanking (and indiscriminently tickling your prick) with essential oils?

rated-under

My parents recently told me that I had dyslexia as a child. I still have shit concentration but I can read if I find something really interesting. Audio books can be helpful. Try audible out or just use you-tube to listen to Schopenhauer's "On Women" .

fpbp

>tfw as soon as I start reading I think about how much I want to play CK2 instead and then do that.
Reading kinda sucks.

Same but I didn't do that. Also I didn't read the book.

>wasting hours painting a map
>playing vidya in current year

I find greater joy in cultivating a small kingdom within it's de jure borders you fucking pleb.

>playing with digital puppets

You would need five of the same book, or ten e-readers, and a couple lecterns. What a dumb idea.

>He doesn't masturbate after marrying close family members.
kys

kek

>he doesn't reach orgasm by forming Großdeutschland in a real game

try an e-reader.
find a book you like more.

how would an e reader help

e-readers saved me. i couldn't read for years. i was going crazy. when i first turned it on, i almost cried and i've heard similar from other people as well. i'm not exactly sure, but i suspect it has to do with the fact that you aren't daunted by all the unread pages. you only have one screen in front of you at a time.

Just focus you twat

what works for me is setting a timer for an hour in the morning and at night. just read at the pace you would normally read during those times, gradually the speed at which you read will increase.

I train myself with audiobooks. I read along with the voice and get an idea for the pace I should be reading at. It helps I think.

I read like 10-20 pages at a time in several sittings throughout the day. I get antsy after like 30 minutes of reading so I just do it in between other stuff and still end up hitting like 60 or 70 pages a day

Read a book that actually interests you.

Borthers Karamazov took me like 3 weeks

I literally cannot do SHIT but reading without thinking it's a waste of time. Seriously, acquiring more knowledge just has a wholesome feel. It feels like I've done something productive with my day even if I didn't work. Same with talking to people.

But to be honest, playing video games for hours feels like a gigantic waste of time as opposed to learning more about the spirit, or perception, or the world's history/economics. I mean seriously, you fiction readers aren't going to understand this feeling, but it feels... complete.

but what about the mundane parts of a book

>10 pages at a time
that's pretty good, I can only read a few words at a time

Your tiny autistic pea brain problably retains none of the economics and history text your reading. It's no different then reading fiction, you're not enlightening yourself or changing your perception.

Actually you're wrong. I retain everything. Ask me anything about early 20th/late 19th century economics, World War II, or Ancient Geometry

All non-fiction is fairly mundane. It's all about the knowledge though.

I'll bite. Why is Euclid's Elements considered non-rigorous by modern mathematical standards?

>Ask me anything about early 20th/late 19th century economics, World War II, or Ancient Geometry

I'm sure you would just Google the answer or ask your friends on Reddit for their opinion.

Simply because it can't be formalized. I was reading a bit of Nathaniel Miller's book on this, and honestly I should read a little bit more, but a lot of it is set in a certain theory I have little background in. Essentially the WAY that Euclid's Elements works cannot be digitized (computerized) effectively. That and the problem with
A) Euclid's fifth postulate (this is a huuuuuge fucking problem as both Charles Dodgson and his contemporaries and Nathaniel Miller one and half centuries later both found problems with this)
B) Methodology behind II. 13

Sorry I meant II.4. Specifically the use of diagonals is criticized.

Yeah I wouldn't lie on the internet about what I've been reading.

Back when I was a kid and there was no computer in the house I could read for 3 hours a day. Now I'm lucky if I can manage to read 15 pages a day.

See if someone will get you to housesit their no internet cottage during the winter.

Eh, good enough for a layman I suppose.

Haha, very funny. I am currently reading On Conics by Appolonius of Perga, have you read all 7/8 books? I'm planning on reading them all, including the last one finished by Ibn Al-Haytham

Not sure what's funny about it, that's a layman's understanding of it, but I guess most people wouldn't know about it, so that's pretty good.

You probably want to read more modern books and then go back to the older ones to be honest.

I had your problem. Just started reading short spurts multiple times a day. Read it while you walk, while you wait even if its for a paragraph. Youll get used to reading.

Right, I mean like I said Nathaniel Miller's book involved what I understand to be modern geometrical theory, so when lines intersected it was in two points.

I certainly don't like your tone, and I believe this is not up for debate, that first point there is a very serious flaw in Euclid's rendering of Geometry. I've heard some people have problems here and there with the first proposition of the book as well.

That's it though, and yes I understand why you would wnat to read modern geometry, but this is quite interesting. The origin of the hyperbola/parabola could not be BETTER explained tb.h It's fascinating. And at times, complex.

Although I'm somewhat disliking Taliaferro's translation, he had three typos/errors in the second book, it's still wonderful. The first book is unbelievably complex, rigorous, and dense. The second is much lighter. The third is proving to be a logical setup from book one and he's dealing with triangular properties outside the parabolas/hyperbolas/circles/ellipses.

After reading Archimedes, who was unbelievably algebraic, dealing with Apollonius is more like Euclid to be quite honest. I believe Archimedes was influenced heavily by Euclid's thirteenth book, and Apollonius to be heavily influenced by more of the logic found in the second and third books, especially since the sections of conics are in a flat, two dimensional plane.

Look, I'm not saying that reading older texts is a bad idea, it's not. It can be really interesting to go through older texts, especially with mathematics, since books have an insanely long shelf life.

However, what I'm trying to warn you about it believing that renderings of certain mathematical topics aren't considered serious or solid enough today.

For a parallel, whilst it might be interesting to read Aristotle for logic, his system is generally considered rudimentary, flawed, and all together weak today. It would be a better idea to start with modern books, and then works backwards, rather than the other way around.

Sorry if I sounded rude.

Got o a place devoid of all distraction. I use the library at my college. Just got done reading 200 pages there.

They cannot fundamentally be too far removed from the systems in place however, since there is an objective truth when it comes to these sorts of things. For instance, you can change the definitions of a parabola all you want, but in essence, what gives it the functional shape is the angle of the cone's axis to its base that it's taken out of, in addition to the position of the parameter to the vertex.

Holy fuck user, good job. 200 pages of what?

By reading at least 11.

Ban appeals for a video game server

The essence may still be the same, but the fundamentals of mathematics underwent a pretty big shift in the late 19th century. The same is true for logic.

That's why I recommend more modern books, so that you're not mislead into believing something that whilst essentially true, is fundamentally defined differently.

For Geometry I'd recommend "Basic Geometry" by Birkhoff and Beatley.

Try removing all distractions, or removing yourself from them.
And by removing distractions I don't mean kill your entire family.

I agree. Also, I can't overstate the importance of not looking at your phone during that time.

Sticking with the same material after browsing forums all day means that we go from constant, overwhelming bits of information that aren't longer than a line or two, to shit that seems really thick and dense in comparison. After a while, I feel like I get lost in what I'm reading, but that's all over real soon once I get distracted and end up mindlessly browsing instead of sticking to one thing.

Do you find this useful AT ALL in your everyday life outside of the feeling of completeness you get when you learn it?

you guys just dont like reading desu
try to find fulfillment in something else

Try reading for an hour.
Then take a break.
Repeat.

If you're having trouble try half an hour.

The internet ruins your ability to concentrate by making you addicted to constant stimulation. There have been books written on this subject

I second this. I can't enjoy video games anymore unless I'm enjoying the social part of it. I've been ignoring my friends all month so I can stay home and read the Bible. It's a lot of fun once you're in the habbit of it. I feel sorry for people who aren't. Keep trying.

poo

I mean rigorous foundations for math is a relatively new subject. Calculus was formulated hundreds of years before it was formalized. The formalization is only interesting for its own sake. It's essential for a serious maths student, and I didn't appreciate advanced math till I started taking stuff like analysis. But if you're just reading that stuff is wholly unnecessary.

To the other user. If you are interested in formal math, try calculus by spivak. It's a textbook, it's difficult, but it's fun as hell and a great introduction to the subject.

This.

Take the Cabin/Van Pill.

Do audiobooks if you're too retarded to look at words. If you can concentrate on what's being said to you and remember it then it is just as good as actually reading it, though many literature enthusiasts will disagree out of their love for written word. These same people would likely tell you that a physical book is better than digital. The method of how you receive the information is mostly irrelevant, your retention of the information is all that really matters.

Oke i am going to give it too you straight.
You are reading too many books, /lit is flooded with books.
Nothing but lonely losers reading excessively, destroying their testosterone levels.
Our only weakness , books.
After reading you are calmed you are made docile and lose all motivation.
This needs to stop, this is the reason our birth rates dwindle.
This is the reason why /lit turned weak , we are all contempt wankers, drained of our manly juices that makes us /lit.
We let our guard down now tumbler and reddit have grown in numbers ,they made us weak with this infection of books.
It is time we put our sperm in nothing but jars or women, no more little swimmers waisted on books.
No more reading unless it is for the cause of /lit.
It is time for discipline, It is time we make /lit great again, It its time we stop reading with out a cause.
/lit unite ,Abstain , Return to your natural form of frustration, hate, contempt and anger.

Your mission , no reading for 9 days too reach the maximum amount of testosterone in your system.
This will also flush the build up oestrogen out of your system and reduce your bitch tits.

Do not read any books.
Textual stimulus causes the prostate to produce prostate fluid that over time becomes a carcinogen.

Nice ideas, man, you should write a book on them!

Not OP but i was thinking about audiobooking financial books and maybe other non fictions stuff while reading the good stuff. Do you think this is a good idea? i jsut want to pump info into my head as quickly as possible

Read for as long as you can, take 5 min break and then resume reading again. During these 5 min you are not allowed to look at any screens.

If you do this for long enough you will extend your attention span.

Is this art? Am I witnessing art?

Ritalin

I'd get so much done if I lived in a comfy van-house without internet.