What's wrong with using Microsoft Word as your word processor...

What's wrong with using Microsoft Word as your word processor? Why are some of you so adamant about using more expensive ones for your writing purposes? What gives?

uhh just use wordpad

Why?

>not using LaTeX for complete formatting control

Pleb

>le using expensive word processors will make me a better writer

Friendly reminder that this technology didn't exist more than 20 years ago, and that the greatest works of fiction were either written with pen and paper or typewriter.

I prefer Evernote because of the cloud and cross-device functionality. I'll be writing at my desk, get up to take a steamy shit, open my iPad which I always keep next to my toilet, squeeze a few out while writing on my iPad, see that I've run out of toilet paper, power walk with a shitty asshole to K Mart down the street, jot down my emotions on my smartphone's Evernote app along this extremely uncomfortable and embarrassing journey, come home, throw my clothes in the wash, shower, write on my smartphone with its waterproof case and screen protector, wipe the shit from my hands off my phone, dry off, and by the time i sit back down at my desk not only am i where i left off, but i'm even more ahead in my writing and i can be more artistic because i just suffered severe anguish

>I'll be writing at my desk, get up to take a steamy shit, open my iPad which I always keep next to my toilet, squeeze a few out while writing on my iPad, see that I've run out of toilet paper, power walk with a shitty asshole to K Mart down the street, jot down my emotions on my smartphone's Evernote app along this extremely uncomfortable and embarrassing journey, come home, throw my clothes in the wash, shower, write on my smartphone with its waterproof case and screen protector, wipe the shit from my hands off my phone, dry off, and by the time i sit back down at my desk not only am i where i left off, but i'm even more ahead in my writing and i can be more artistic because i just suffered severe anguish

Enjoy your pinkeye.

Based on a true story btw

>not using vim

because wordpad does everything you need, unless you think that your novel needs tables or wordbasic macros or embedded video.

actually, i think wordpad will even embed video.

Word. Times New Roman, size 12. 1.5 spaced. Anything else is surplus to requirements.

this

>Not writing with fountain pen
baka senpai

LaTeX is free and older than microsoft word.

GNU Emacs is the only correct choice.

>more expensive ones

What on earth is more expensive than Word?

>windows 7
>open word
>huge flashing ads now
>crashes immediately no matter what you do
word used to be fine for normies, but formating is a nightmare and you can't send between versions without the whole file devolving into total anarchy.
wordpad is vastly superior if you only want to write. Even notepad is better, and what you should use if you're going to be working between multiple computers.

>not using notepad++
Put in dspellchecker plugin, configure your style and fonts to your eyepleasing and you're good to go.

Word is total bloatware, and will fuck your formatting when you came to chapters and other junk, you really don't need it. Use latex if you really need formating, if not, go with plain text. Not to mention you'll be a laughing stock when you send someone word document, or even rtf. Their formats are dead.

>power walk with a shitty asshole to K Mart

kek

I just use Open Office. It's like Word, but free.

OpenOffice has been dead for several years now (ever since Oracle bought Sun and killed all of its open-source projects, of which OO was one). Most of the OO developers went on to create LibreOffice, which is still being updated today and which offers better compatibility with Word and other MS Office applications, support for XML document standards, and so on

>What's wrong with using Microsoft Word as your word processor?
nothing

LaTeX was released in 1985 and is free, you mong.

nu-male

I use Scrivener to do my drafts.

It's handy because it allows you to organise things in a very customizable way. You can move shit around easily and brainstorm.

I find that I get confused and annoyed if I start writing in a linear word processor like Word if I'm writing anything larger than 3000 words. .

This was an enjoyable post

There is literally nothing wrong with Google Docs

Pic unrelated

Word is fine.

Argument used to be there was too much chrome and it was distracting to the Wordstar generation.

Frankly though people are so used to standard MS apps all that all the bloat is effectively invisible.

No idea why a writer is 'formatting' their writing beyond double spacing it incidentally. Nobody wants you to do that.

My wife is staring at me asking what I'm laughing at. How do I explain Veeky Forums to her? She thinks I'm cheating on her (especially since this post looks like I'm texting someone)

What do?

thank you for this godspeed and warm love

No problem, friend :^)

Latex, not sure if I had bothered learning if it I didn't use it for papers though.
It's for equations and shit that it really shines.

it also typesets documents beautifully, even if you're not writing technical pieces

but muh Calibri, size 10, 1.5 spaced.

>What's wrong with using Microsoft Word as your word processor?
It costs money. Open Office doesn't.

Well i use it for everything, but I only need it for technical stuff.

>Times New Roman [...] Anything else is surplus to requirements.
If you write professionally you normally use a non-proportional / monospaced font.

>Not pirating the whole Office package,

Word is fine. It´s better than a typewriter or actually writing on paper.

>works from the past used technologies from the past

Whoah

GARAMOND PREMIER PRO

>pirating when a legit free alternative is available

LibreOffice does everything anyone would want to do under normal usage

I kinda hate MS word with a passion, but I get it for free so fuck it, I use it.

It's needlessly complicated, and assumes I always want to do the dumbest, most improbable thing imaginable whenever it chooses to decide shit for me.

My nigga

I used to write in Courier New but lit agencies say either font could be considered the 'industry standard'.

On the authority of Dr. Maya Angelou, please stop using that word. Instead, use "friend."

Wtf are you a highschool teacher

>MUH MLA FORMAT

Gas yourself

What would happen if you attached that gun to a wheels and then shot it on a running track? That would be cool to see.

More useful and easier for sure, but not necessarily better.

If I use Word I write without thinking about it too much because I know I can easily correct/erase it later.
If I use a typewriter or pen and paper I think it through.

For some reason I'm also more productive with typewriters and pen. Can't explain why, I simply write more words/session. Maybe it's because I edit and revise on the go when I use word processors, while I can't and don't touch what I write on paper before the chapter/short story is done.

Still, word processors are necessary. I re-type everything I write to have a digital copy.