SF Concepts/Themes

What are you favorite science fiction constructs/problems/themes that are entirely plausible, Veeky Forums?

Stuff like Boltzmann Brains, Dyson Shrouds, Ring Worlds, AI consciousness problems, Klemperer rosettes, ya know, cool shit.

Surprise me, Veeky Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

ascensionglossary.com/index.php/Special:AllPages)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

string theory

One-electron universe

Never heard of this one, lay it out for me.

I said science fiction, not fantasy.

c wut i did there?

Alternate universes.

real numbers

perhaps because Halo CE was my first videogame and I played the shit out of it, but ring worlds will always be special in my heart

>that are entirely plausible
>list of related shit

Christ, OP, congrats on your fantasy thread. A Dyson Swarm is the best that can be done aside from Generation Ships and O'Neil Cylinders. None of which will be made.

I'm a fan of fictional materials.

Cavorite for the win. Cavorite was "opaque to gravity" -- gravity from anything on one side of a sheet of Cavorite could not impact anything on the other.

Build pic related, and fly to the moon by opening the shutter of Cavorite facing the moon -- only the Moon's gravity effects your vessel, and off you go.

Electron moves forwards in time until the end of the universe, then 'bounces' backwards through time to the beginning of the universe, forever, and has the effect of filling the universe with the same electron over and over again.

advanced aliens, and strange technology.
Whether they're laughable or believable; I like seeing portrayals of aliens in general. Also I like to see the creativity of exotic & strange technology people come up with. Time travel, weapons, ships, buildings anything. Except dyson spheres/swarms, ring worlds and o'neill cylinders because that shit's lame and I assume they'd be insufferably inefficient to build for any civilization that's capable.

Mind control rays.

oh, sorry.... you said Science FICTION.

Ahhh, ring worlds. So fascinating. For me Halo was my first encounter with this concept as well. I remember looking up slowly, following the massive structure as it shrunk into the distance until it reached it's peak in the sky, connecting with the other side. I was blown away.

When I grew older I read some of the Halo books, specifically Ghosts of Onyx, one of my favorite books. In there, I met something even more serious than a ring world, and that was the Dyson sphere, or rather shield planet as I believe the book put it. But damn was that mind-blowing at the time.

>tfw we will never experience either of these things in our lifetime

Oh, I forgot to add:

I did a reverse image search on this and it appears to be concept art from Iain Banks books on "The Culture", or something along those lines. Appears to be quite a lot of books in that series. I am interested in picking one up, anyone know which book has the most discussion about ring worlds (or, Orbitals as he calls them)?

Thanks!

Shit, I should clarify:
>I did a reverse image search on this
>on this
>this
Being OP's image.

Halo was actually inspired by Banks, who in turn was inspired by the granddaddy of them all, Larry Niven.

Go read all the culture books; Player of Games is a good starting point. Look to windward play almost entirely on an orbital, and as such would be closest to what you are interested in, but I don't know how good of a starting novel it is.

Enders Game and The Hyperion Cantos I think really portrayed what it means to have a technology that could go faster than light.

Repo Man movie mentioned that theres no diffference between space ships and time machines.

The ringworld in the op image is probably nivens ringworld judging from the shadow. Culture orbitals are small and naturally shaded from angling it towards the sun, ringworld surrounds the sun and is shaded from plates in a closer orbit. Read all books though, they're good. Don't expect hard science though, the Culture is so advanced that most of their science is made up.

That's fucking cool man.

>complains about /x/ bullshit
>starts making predictions of the future
Can you read my palm? It says fuck off.

Bumping thread.

The Ascension Glossary was supposed to be a warning not an instruction manual...
(ascensionglossary.com/index.php/Special:AllPages)