Jerusalem

Can we talk about this? Have enough people finally slogged through it to hold a discussion?

Reading Jerusalem was one of the most satisfying literary experiences I've had in years. The dense, contemplative "day in the life" prose switching between characters and centuries every chapter, jumping to a jarring 400-page adventure novel establishing and exploring an entire cosmic mythos based on the inside jokes and imaginations of a couple thousand flat-squatters, basking in the extended picture of a band of children running around pinching pockets in the halls of eternity, only to reel itself in closing with a grand parade, and return the reader to even more dense, experimental, and laborious text that seems more a feverish love letter to Moore's personal heroes than a cohesive narrative. All of this condensing past a snapshot of crime and punishment in Northampton into a conclusive art exhibition and series of smoke breaks that wraps up the entire experience in a bow.

I can certainly see how people could be repulsed by his writing, given that Moore spent about 4 or 5 pages talking about the comic book hero Herbie Popnecker in the middle of what was essentially an ambling description of a woman walking around town yelling at people, but I enjoyed it wholeheartedly.

Do you think Moore succeeded? Where does jerusalem rank next to the meme trilogy? How long did it take you to get through the Lucia Joyce chapter?

Other urls found in this thread:

londonhollywood.wordpress.com/2016/09/24/the-alan-moore-jerusalem-interview-tapes-1-brexit-democracy-and-stewart-lee/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Did youuuuu actually put the cover through GIMP's ink effect filter to tone down the cartoon vividness and avoid having all comments revolve around the picture and his having made his cover himself like a literal autist? It's a lovely cover though.

Here's what the 'Newlife' buildings actually look like

You can see a lot of the other landmarks in the book just dicking around with streetview. I thought it was rather interesting

>he actually fell for the meme

More banal and yet more disheartening than I had imagined

Neck yourself you unfunny cunt

I agree and really worked well when it came up within the book with Alma working on it
>hasn't read it and yet thinks he knows what it's like

>implying it has anything to do with comics
You're so funny

To answer your questions.
1.Yes the extent to which is subjective
2.No shouldn't be used in relation to them
3.40 or so minutes I found it easy when I realised that if you scan across its almost like your brain auto corrects to the actual meaning

bump

I didn't really care for the Lucinda chapter desu, never been a fan of that stream-of-consciouness almost-gibberish type prose. The Mansoul chapters after it starts being an actual narrative are excellent though.

*Lucia

“One of the things that upset me most about the referendum is that Stewart Lee, the comedian who I think is the funniest man in the world, phoned me up two days later seeking reassurance and cheering up. And I thought, ‘Oh fuck. Stewart lee is phoning me, with all my dystopian misery, because he wants cheering up!’

“He told me that he already phoned Chris Morris [writer of Brass Eye], and that Morris had said that he was practically terrified… that he looked out of his window, and he saw a wood pigeon, pecking about on his lawn, and thought, ‘That wood pigeon does not, and will never understand that we are withdrawing from the European Union.’ And he says: ‘And I took comfort in that.’ That is the most worrying moment, when you’ve got the best satirical comedian phoning you up for reassurance."
londonhollywood.wordpress.com/2016/09/24/the-alan-moore-jerusalem-interview-tapes-1-brexit-democracy-and-stewart-lee/

>hates brexit
>endorses Corbyn, who as a Bennite, thinks its great.

Are there any interviews available where the interlocutor pushes back on his sloppy thinking?

Veeky Forums meetup in Northampton?

>you have to agree with everything a politician says
Good luck

Too long to talk about I guess

Still in book one. Taking long because I'm reading other things as my "main" reads and picking at it in spurts, but very enjoyable so far. I feel it could probably do with some heavy editing and be narrowed down to 200 pages per book, but I'll save further thoughts for when I actually finish it a year from now

How the fuck did he manage to get literally cucked by a woman?

His first wife and him were in a relationship with another woman, she left him for her, back in the late 80sor early 90s I think, its in the Lance Parkin biography of Alan Moore, although I'm not sure that's technically cucking, that word has lost almost all meaning nowadays...

Me too. Good thing it really stays in your mind.

That's true, I have yet to pick it back up after more than three months busy elsewhere and can still remember every chapter and character from the first book in surprising detail... I guess I should thank the meme-men for having shilled it so hard.